It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can't On-Star do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I heard this radio commerical for that wonderful thing called, On-Star.

Normally their just something to do with Joe going to the hospital, or mommy having a seizure. But this time i heard something along these lines.

C=customer
O=On-Star

*Start*

C:"On-Star, i have a problem."

O:"What the problem ma'am?"

C:"My check engine light is on, and I don't know if it's safe to drive."

O: "Ok, well normally, it's nothing major, but if you hold on one sec, i can perform a remote diagonsis."

C:"...blah, blah."

on and on, and he says,

O:"It doesn't seems to be anything major, (i think he said) i might just be your O2 sensor."

C:"Oh, thank you...blah,blah."

On-star, ALWAYS THERE!

*End*

So WTF? If he can tell her that her O2 sensor is having problems from thousands of miles away.

What else can On-Star do?

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i'm in the process of getting that onstar crap out of my car, my 15 pound sledge hammer is hungry.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
seing as most car's made now all have computers in them.... onstar simply uses the same kinda technology ur local mechanic uses when he plugs into your car with his computer and runs a diagnosis... onstar just does it remotely
not to mention tracks your position / speed / lets "Da Man" know were u are any time he wants to

[Edited on 30-12-2003 by CanadaCANfight]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by razorbackhater
i'm in the process of getting that onstar crap out of my car, my 15 pound sledge hammer is hungry.

nice to know.

my parents have on-star in their vehicles, but they really don't think anything of it.

Of course when i try to talk to my dad about this stuff, it's in one ear out the other, cause he thinks there's nothing he can do, he admits he's in the system of control, but thinks it's pointless to try escape from it's grasp.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Online Concierge Services - Access self-serve Online Concierge Services for event tickets, dining reservations, gift recommendations and more at www.myonstar.com.

Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment - if your front air bags deploy, we can call for help - even if you can't call for it - to your location as quickly as possible.

Emergency Services - press the red OnStar Emergency Button and we'll notify an emergency assistance provider of your location and your emergency need.

Roadside Assistance - is on the way once you call OnStar. We'll locate and contact a nearby provider and request help to get you back on the road quickly.

Stolen-Vehicle Tracking - with OnStar, a stolen vehicle can be tracked without the thief's knowledge and help guide authorities to its location.

Accident Assist - gives you step-by-step guidance about what to do in the event of an accident.

Remote Door Unlock / Lock - OnStar Advisors can unlock and lock your doors in case you locked your keys in the car, or forgot to lock the doors when you left. The Advisors can also flash your lights and honk the horn if you have trouble locating your vehicle, or to scare off unwanted individuals gathered around the vehicle.

Remote Diagnostics** - cover your vehicle's vital systems. If your "Check Engine" light illuminates, an OnStar Advisor can provide you with information about the problem - then make recommendations, ranging from turning off the vehicle while you wait for roadside service. The Advisors can also help locate a dealer to schedule an appointment for service

What they don't tell you is that they can track you at all times not just when the car is stolen

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'll rip out the whole computer system, motor, tranny whatever if i have to, and put a nice old 350 in there, wait a minute, my wife won't like that too much, she almost had me committed when i cut up the blazer and made it into a dune buggy, need a plan b

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:53 AM
link   
personaly, I could care less as long as the vehicle owner is fully aware of what they can do. I would NEVER own a vehicle with it, but for old people...why not. I realize it's an invasion of privacy issue to most of us, but to some it's piece of mind....nursing home on wheels

also with a daughter that will be driving in a few years, I'll put in my own version

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
here's another link, pointing out that on-star is quite a invasion of privacy.

www.theledger.com.../20031229/ZNYT01/312290315/1001/BUSINESS

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Seems like people were right to be concerned...

Of course, this was just too good of an occasion for Big Brother to spy on people, why would he not profit of it?

www.securityfocus.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

Of course, this was just too good of an occasion for Big Brother to spy on people, why would he not profit of it?

www.securityfocus.com...

"...2001 FBI surveillance operation in Las Vegas, in which agents...secretly activate the stolen vehicle recovery feature in a customer's car.

The feature, designed to listen-in on car thieves as they cruise around in a stolen auto, turns on a dashboard microphone and pipes conversations out over a cell phone connection -- normally to the company's response center, but in this case to an FBI listening post."

Sounds like bullsh|t to me.

Im glad i aint got on-star, but im getting worried about those wonderful RFID tags.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

www.securityfocus.com...

I had posted this as a news article, but it didn't make it in ATSNN. It's good to know that the court said NO to the FBI. See, the system does ocassionally work in our benefit.

Not related to this, but just a funny ha- ha, I used to work for Gateway, and we were contracted by John Deere to run a program called GreenStar, our telephone numbers were very similar to ONSTAR, and we would get calls all the time from people asking us to open their door cause they had locked their keys in the car.

(Greenstar in case no one has heard of it is a GPS system that is used with tractors and combines for mapping. We could get from 6ft to 10 inch accuracy depending on the signal they bought.)

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
yes, but can onstar order a pizza.

That's the important thing.

new topics

top topics

join