It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution partly embraced by religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I don't know why so many people who claim to be Christians are so against evolution. No, evolution isn't completely right, but it's not a terrible theory. I use to think it was, until I took a class on Anthropology.

In truth, even the Pope said that evolution wasn't a terrible idea. He didn't make it a doctrine, but he didn't say that Darwin should go to hell, either... perhaps an earlier Pope did, but many of the past Popes were completely corrupt.

As a Chrisitian, do you know that most Christian churches actually embrace much of evolution, but still leave the Big Bang and quite a few of the details up to God.

I want to make a quick side point... time didn't begin until the second day I don't believe, so anything before "time" gives the ability for anything to happen in the "first day." Besides, just because the Earth was made in 6 days, before God threw a BBQ on the 7th, doesn't mean that we are basing time off of Earth days either. If the universe does rotate (which we're not sure of yet), then a day might be a complete rotation of the universe, or something similar to that. Don't be afraid of timing and don't judge your religion or its validity based on something as minute as the Earth being created in 6 Earth days.

I'm just trying to give you a heads up for all of those who don't seem to know these simple facts. I'm against Religion Analness.

Does anyone really want to argue this point logically? Go ahead, but be sure you have facts to back up your opinion/statements.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's never been the "Creation done in 6 days" part that has bothered me to any extent...What's really bothered me is when fundimentalists make the assumption that "a day is like unto a thousand years for God" (as mentioned in the Bible) & use it to make their predictions for their "end of the world" scenarios". After all, much of the bible was written (by necessity) with a lot of metaphor & parable in it because those original authors didn't have the language precise enough for any better descriptions.

If the universe does rotate (to use your example) then it might mean that 1 day for God equals who-knows-how-many trillions of years for us...But those fundies always use measurements of time based on *human perspective*.

Yet those same fundies claim that the Earth is only 6000 years old...Even though human-created examples of *writing* are older than that, let alone the animal fossils & manmade tools/structures that came before writing was invented.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
well I would like to comment on something abotu time and God.
if you look in the bible there are only two verses that use that expression "one day is like a thousand years and a thousans years is a day"
something like that.

let me point out a few things:

1. they both say thousand, not million.
2. neither of these verses are talking about the creation.

that of course is according to the bible, which has to be taken by faith.
just like the big bang, has to be taken by faith. you cant prove either.

any questions, on this topic, let me know...

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
and to follow up on what EC said..

The *human perspective* of the bible ....would be that way because it was written for man. God wanted US to read it and learn from it.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Learn what? Science? Or learn about religion, ethics, god, and jesus? I suspect it wasn't science.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
well of course you arent going to learn how to do open heart surgery by reading th bible, but somethign you can learn about is the same thing that killed george washington.

they used to teach that if you get sick that you need to take out your blood because you have bad blood. george washington died that way, and in the bible that sat right next to him as he died siad in Leviticus 17:11 "for the life of the flesh is in the blood..."

that is scientific enough for me to know to keep my blood inside by body.

isaiah 40:22 says that " it is he sitteth upon the circle of the earth..."

that is scientific enough for me to know that the earth has always been round. now I would agree than many christians didnt know what they were talking about and agreed that the earth was flat but that didnt make it right. the earth appears to us as we stand on it, to be flat, but thats because we are pretty small compared to earth.
anyways....

the bible says in Genesis that God took out a rib from adam to make eve. it has been proven that the only bone in your body that can grow back if taken out is the lower rib. I dont know of any others, but that is one. you would almost think God knew what he was doing if he didnt know any better.

Genesis also says that fruit and the seed will be for meat.
did you know that eating the fruit and the seed is good for you. the seed has a vitamin called vitamin B17 and it helps prevent cancer.

the bible is full of science, we as humans just dont pay attention to the science part.
by the way, those are only a few examples. if you would like others Im sure I can dig them up for you...

thanks

top topics

join