It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Species - Thoughts ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Just wondering what members might think alien life might be like. Would it be silicon or carbon based( like us ) or something different.
Please be serious thanks.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 06:39 AM
link   
both?

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I heard tin based life might be possible...

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If I were to think about a "first encounter" situation, I'd be more likely to think that our first contact would be with "mechanical life"...Haven't we (humans) sent out robotic probes before sending out people? Why wouldn't a technologically-advanced civilization do the same? Wouldn't these "alien robotic probes" be the most *likely* point of first contact?

As it is with modern (human) technology, it's possible (though extremely difficult & expensive) to create robotic probes that are programmed to use sensors & navigation data to wander the universe & search out plnaets & asteroids that would contain the raw materials needed for it to re-manufacture itself (Thereby being capable of "reproduction"). The new probes would then download copies of the original programming & continue to seek out new worlds as well.

Granted, it would take the most sophisticated AI programming at current levels of computer technology today to be able to program it for self-defense, seeking out new biologicals to study & the raw data it would need to re-build itself...But it *is* within the realm of viability.

posted on Nov, 25 2002 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Isn't it Arthur C Clarke who suggests that a mechanical alien probe would likely be so far in advance of our own that we would mistake it for its creators.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There's an infinite number of species out there - but all I can say for sure is that our creators are humans just like us....as Genesis says "Let us make man in our image after our likeness."

I'm sure that there are physical races who've found a scientific way to transform themselves into other forms of energy that can exist on other planes of existance etc.

-Josh

I'm a member of the Raelian Movement and the founder of the movement, a man named Rael, was contacted by an extra-terrestrial named Yahweh on 13th December 1973. During this encounter he was dictated a series of messages, which he wrote down and later published in the form of 3 books.

In summary, these messages explain that scientists from another planet originally created all life on Earth using DNA. These human beings were known in the Hebrew Bible as ELOHIM, but were mistaken for gods by our ancestors. The word ELOHIM does not mean “God”, but is a plural word meaning, “those who came from the sky”. It is to these people that Moses, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, Joseph Smith and many many other prophets referred to.

Now that humanity has the scientific knowledge to understand this, the Elohim have asked for these important messages to be communicated to the world, and for an embassy to be built, so they can return to Earth as predicted by all the major religions.

For more info go to www.rael.org where you can get a free download of “Intelligent Design – Message from the Designers”.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Just wondering what members might think alien life might be like. Would it be silicon or carbon based( like us ) or something different.
Please be serious thanks.

As already stated, there's no reason it couldn't be either.

As for which is probably more common, if both exist, I would guess carbon. It is the simpler element and almost certainly the more common across the universe. Thus wherever life might develop on any particular world, I would guess the most likely form would be carbon-based. All purely speculative of course.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lupe_101
Isn't it Arthur C Clarke who suggests that a mechanical alien probe would likely be so far in advance of our own that we would mistake it for its creators.

I believe you may be right. And it stands to reason that a sufficiently advanced robot/mechanical-being would appear organic. We may not be able to distinguish between the two, at first.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Actually, that so called alien that Rael saw in 1973 is not an Elohim; but a Zeta-Reticulian - Human hybrid. They shouldn't use ELOHIM, for they are not.

Rael movement is a Orion Empire front that they planned around 2016 for mass deception. I will make damn sure it is thwarted, and the whole earth is not deceived.

ELOHIM "Means Sons of God"

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
What of an ethereal based life form? Different physics by far, yet an interesting possibility. I like your direction on this thread. Star for you, and Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I don't think there are any known silicon based proteins, so that would already be problematic for body processes. Without proteins, there can be no thought, reproduction, respiration, photosynthesis, etc. Silicon is a metalloid, which would mean it lacks the chemical properties that are considered necessary to form life. Silicon also has 8 more electrons than Carbon, and it forms very unstable complex compounds, and there are no known spontaneous syntheses of the required compounds for silicon life in nature. Furthermore, there are very few known compounds made of silicon, DNA, RNA, and biodiversity would be likely impossible. Membranes built on silicon modules cannot experience the transfer of protons or electrons across the membrane, known as proton-motive force, a basic need for life. If the supposed silicon life needed to consume oxygen, the resulting oxidization of the silicon modules would create silicon dioxide, or quartz, something pretty tough to exhale. Silicon based life would also have to consume other silicon based life to survive, and unless the life form were close to 100 percent thermodynamically efficient, passage of the transformed crystals would be very difficult.

I honestly cannot see a silicon based life form being able to exist. As a matter of fact, since carbon is the only element that can form the chains and rings that form the basis for organic compounds that can self replicate at some level of complexity, I really believe that any life form must be based on carbon. Unless of course out there in the vast universe there are elements that have yet to be discovered, or elements that are manufactured by an unknown process that could be a basis for life.

top topics

join