It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question regarding system32 case sensitive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Im aware of my computer being compromised, and in the past have been victim to hacks.

Im trying to see if i have too many svchost processes running, i suspect a worm\backdoor nasty.

I realise some are essential files, but ive heard of virus masquerading as legit files.

I have about 7 scvhost running, one with alot of memory.

Some are in system32 notice the lower case s, and some are in System32, is there a difference?
Is it case sensitive, as i cant find a System32 file on my computer??
Any help is much appreciated.

Now i do have norton int. sec. and have a few anti spyware programs, but i think there is something there, but not being picked up by any scanner??

Added snap shot for ref.

notice the s and the S beginings to system32

[edit on 6-4-2007 by Denied]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
There can be only one

No, its not case sensitive.

Still not sure?
You can test if its case sensitive by going to the c:\windows folder and look for both
system32 and SYSTEM32 folders.

You can also try to create a new folder named SYSTEM32, but since there's already a system32 folder, it won't let you. (There can be only one)

I would use either Process Monitor , or Micro$ofts command line method to help you determine the validity of a svchost process if you feel you must.

Be aware that while virus, spyware, and trogans may use this service, you can't just delete it (svchost.exe) because Windows built it into the OS and needs it to run.

Best of Luck

[edit on 4/6/07 by makeitso]

join