It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds strongest magnet to be built in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Worlds strongest magnet to be built in Florida

www.sciencedaily.com

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., April 4 (UPI) -- Germany's Hahn-Meitner Institute has contracted with Florida State University to build an $8.7 million hybrid magnet.

The magnet's construction, in coordination with the university's National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, is to be the world's strongest magnet for neutron experiments, eclipsing the 15-telsa system now at the institute.

When finished in 2011, the high-field magnet will produce a field between 25 tesla and 30 tesla -- more than 500,000 times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This thing sounds very powerfull, I wonder if it could affect wildlife which is sensitive to very weak magnetic fields - migrating birds for instance. I hope they have considered all the implications of this.

www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
more than 500,000 times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.

egads. : /

where's this located, exactly in florida?

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
looooooooool why do they need to build this, it seems irelevent i mean building a giant magnet what possible use could this have?

i am thinking that maybe the magnet could unlock or open areas of the persons mind if it was build, maybe improve or destroy wildlife..

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
They need to do their homework...

Circa 1998... 60 Tesla...

The pulsed-field magnet, consisting of nine nested electromagnetic coils wrapped in steel cylinders, can reach a peak field strength of 60 Tesla, more than a million times greater than Earth's magnetic field. The magnet lab staff is finalizing operating procedures before opening the magnet to national users this fall, but trial experiments already are demonstrating the magnet's research potential.

www.lanl.gov...

Yawn... 25 Tesla was so 1997...

Gradient Monkeys, not just for varying B0 anymore...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY
looooooooool why do they need to build this, it seems irelevent i mean building a giant magnet what possible use could this have?

Read the source?

These modifications make the magnet ideal for neutron scattering experiments, which are among the best methods for probing atoms to better understand the structure of materials.

top topics

join