It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a follower of Mithra!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well -let us start with more than striking similarities:

i

*Mithras is also "Light of World" - he is mediator between haven and earth. Called: "the good shepherd,” "the way, the truth and the light,” “redeemer,” “savior,” “Messiah."

* was identified with both the lion and the lamb

* he was born of mother virgin - her title was " Mother of God" and Divine Father

* he was born on December the 25th

* he was born in the cave

* he had 12 disciples

*The International Encyclopedia states: "Mithras seems to have owed his prominence to the belief that he was the source of life, and could also redeem the souls of the dead into the better world ... The ceremonies included a sort of baptism to remove sins, anointing, and a sacred meal of bread and water, while a consecrated wine, believed to possess wonderful power, played a prominent part."

*There was a purification through "baptism" in a form of DRINKING WINE and EATING BREAD - which symbolize BODY/BLOOD of God

* was buried in a tomb and after three days he rose again. His resurrection was celebrated every year

* Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected. His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day." The Mithra religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper.

* After the earthly mission of this god had been accomplished, he took part in a Last Supper with his companions before ascending to heaven

* Believers in Mithras were rewarded with eternal life. Part of the Mithraic communion liturgy included the words, "He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made one with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation."

Talking about "inspiration" out a "new" story.....of NT...

www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk... )))) just one of many links about subject ((((

[edit on 5-4-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good post, I understand that Paul of Tartus was a follower of Mithra also. I believe that Christianity is based on this religion despite the beliefs of it's followers.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ive heard christians saying that due to the fact that both jews/christians and mithra followers were around at the same time, that the mithra cult just took over their ideas.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thank you interestedalways!

Paul of Tarsus, whom 13 book of NT ( 7 by himself and 6 done in his name), born as Saul and adpoted Christina name Paul - most definitely has Mitraistich roots.

Paul was the original preacher of "Jesus Christ". Yeshua was not called "Jesus" nor "Christ" until Paul concluded that Yeshua had been the Messiah predicted in Scripture. Paul also added much of his own beliefs to the story of the Messiah, including many rituals and parts of the Mithraism religion. He confused the Hellenic Christ theme with the Messiah theme of Judaism, and the result was the sacrificial nature of Christ that Christianity has.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
Ive heard christians saying that due to the fact that both jews/christians and mithra followers were around at the same time, that the mithra cult just took over their ideas.

No!

Mithra precedes story of Jesus by at least 600 years....it was largely (especially among Roman soldiers) spread and very popular religion. And the roots of Mithra are way back in Zoroastrian religion of Persia.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
But they still believe that even if we know its not true, they go on to add that the mithra followers read the OT, seeing that it was around at that time.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
But they still believe that even if we know its not true, they go on to add that the mithra followers read the OT, seeing that it was around at that time.

But nowhere in OT you could found anything about fro example ceremony of bread and vine - virgin mother - 12 disciples - birth in the cave - scared Sunday ....etc

For the matter of OT - example: Flood ---> just look at Gilgamesh...or for the monotheistic idea----> look for Amenothep, Egypt faro about some 100 years before Moses!

top topics

join