It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Resolution against free speech - 'defamation of religion'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
GLOBAL PROHIBITION on public 'defamation of religion'.

YAHOO story on UN

Islamic countries pushed through a resolution at the U.N. Human Rights Council on Friday. It was adopted by a 24-14 vote with nine abstentions. The resolution urges a global prohibition on the public defamation of religion.

It makes no mention of any other religion besides Islam. It urges countries "to take resolute action to prohibit the dissemination of racist and xenophobic ideas and material aimed at any religion or its followers that constitute incitement and religious hatred, hostility, or violence."

If they really want to follow their own resolution (which is in violation of Freedom of Speech rights here in America), they really should take a look at Wahabbism and other radical Islamic groups. Those groups definitely incite religious hatred, hostility and violence and are in direct opposition to this resolution.

Then again, just my pointing out that fact could be taken by some as being in direct opposition to the resolution, couldn’t it?
My right to freedom of speech to expose the truth about certain negative elements of relgions (Islamic, Christian, whatever) is now in direct violation of the United Nations resolution. Anyone here who says religion is dumb or anyone who says anything negative about the bible ... ya'll best watchout ... you are in violation of the U.N. resolution.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

[edit on 4/4/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wow....

Illegal to speak out against religion huh?

So much for the right of free speach, this is a classical abuse of the UN where one group presses ideology on the world threw this.... institution...

America should not take part in this circus, we should abandon the UN and remove the UN HQ from NY and have nothing to do with this mockery of an institution.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This may be under the regulations of the UN but is clear that will be in conflict with the US constitution so I do not worry much unless our own elected officials decide that the UN has more weight that our own constitutional rights.

So we still may enjoy freedom of speech.

I think

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Is this the same UN that couldn't/wouldn't enforce 18 resolutions against Saddam Hussein?
The same that can't and won't enforce resolutions against Israel, Iran, Sudan etc...?

Yeah, somehow I seriously doubt that this thing holds water.

This is AMERICA and I retain my first Ammendment RIGHTS to FREE SPEECH!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Does any country or for that matter any person pay attention to resolutions passed by the UN?

I don't think that it will make any difference in the world.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Don't freak out guys, I too am willing to die for free speach but this is not so much a big deal as it comes from the U.N. Human Rights Council which to quote directly from the article:

"The council, which last year replaced the discredited U.N. Human Rights Commission, has no power beyond drawing international attention to rights issues and scrutiny of abuses in certain countries."

The important part is "has no power beyond drawing international attention".

As the article points out, muslim and african nations with China, Cuba and Russia control the council. Which is no big deal since the Council has no power. The U.N. General Assembly is not yet at the point where this kind of thing could pass. When we do reach that point we may be in trouble tho...

Vas

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why did they only mention Islam? Could it be because only Islamic countries pushed the resolution,largely because of the violence over the Danish cartoons.The resolution, opposed by a number of non-Muslim countries,makes no mention of any other religion besides Islam. So does this clear the way to defame other religions? Sorry I forgot only Islam goes on a rampage when it feels slighted.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Does any country or for that matter any person pay attention to resolutions passed by the UN?

They do when it suits their agendas.

Seriously though. This is truly frightening. The fact that it was so easy for them to pass this is appauling. This goes against the very foundations of our country.

We need to keep an eye on this and remember it. It very well could come back to bite us on our collective backends.

top topics

join