It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge explosion in far away galaxy in 1998 = more power from all stars an suns in universe put togeth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Huge explosion in far away galaxy in 1998 = more power from all stars an suns in universe put together from beggining till now HOW?

i read this while back somewhere, and there was a huge explosion that = more power than what was in universe at that time, scientists said it = all power of all stars an suns enery in the entire known universe from thier start till end life power outage.

it was so bright it was viewable from Earth telescopes it was huge whiteness and it was said about ONE THIRD universe got destroyed in explosion.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Heres the link

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Amazing that they managed to record it. Got to remember too that this explostion happend 12 billion year ago as it's taken this long for the light to get here. Now 12 billion year is just after the universe was created. It's just a little mind boggeling to think about. Earth wasn't even arounf back then.

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by Britman]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Just theorizing here but........

Lets say that when the universe was expanding at a super fast rate, right after the big bang, the universe bubble ran into an unexpanded dense ball of another universe. The resulting collision would cause either a tear in our universe bubble or the explosion or the other universe. So the mighty explosion was either a great tear in our universe or the end of another universe before it could start.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
but if our universe is infanet then there couldn't be another one!

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britman

How can something that is infinite be expanding or have ever expanded from a little ball?

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Matter cannot be destroyed, only converted. All the energy from the explosion had to have went somewhere. So, I don't believe that 1/3 of the universe was destroyed. It might have been displaced of shunted to another dimension though.....

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The matter could, however, have diseminated and become it's fundimental components, thereby causing 1/3 of the developed universe to be destroyed.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That's interesting..because it exploded before we existed, but arrived while we existed..that is one HUGE universe if it took 12 BILLION years to reach us..that is absolutely huge. I think about this often: If so many things are happening so far away, that have basically nothing to do with us, but we are the only life that exists, why would all these things be happening...It is kind of interesting when you think about that, this might mean that it is happening to some OTHER life forms, not us, as it doesn't effect us.

(That is, if you believe everything happens for a reason)

-wD

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Alright I have been thinking about this a little more and I am not quite sure if I can put this to paper so bear with me.

The Big Bang Theory

The Big Bang Theory is the dominant scientific theory about the origin of the universe. According to the big bang, the universe was created sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from a cosmic explosion that hurled matter and in all directions.
In 1927, the Belgian priest Georges Lema�tre was the first to propose that the universe began with the explosion of a primeval atom. His proposal came after observing the red shift in distant nebulas by astronomers to a model of the universe based on relativity. Years later, Edwin Hubble found experimental evidence to help justify Lema�tre's theory. He found that distant galaxies in every direction are going away from us with speeds proportional to their distance.

The big bang was initially suggested because it explains why distant galaxies are traveling away from us at great speeds. The theory also predicts the existence of cosmic background radiation (the glow left over from the explosion itself). The Big Bang Theory received its strongest confirmation when this radiation was discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who later won the Nobel Prize for this discovery.

Although the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted, it probably will never be proved; consequentially, leaving a number of tough, unanswered questions.

If the Big bang took place between 10 and 20 billion years ago then the explosion could not have happened any more than 8 billion years ago. This is assuming that the Big Bang took place 20 billion years ago. The reason why is the universe could not expand at a rate faster than the speed of light and light from the explosion could not travel faster than the speed of light. If the Big Bang took place 12 billion years ago then that explosion would be right next door to earth or the matter that earth is made of.

According to Einstein light is constant regardless of the observer. Meaning basically if I was around when the big bang took place and rode the outer wave of the universe bubble The light of this massive explosion would present itself to me just as turning on the light in the bathroom. If Einstein is correct this means that the explosion had to have happened 12 billion light years from earth meaning the big bang would have to be older than previously thought.

If this don't make sense I will try to explain it better upon request.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
If this don't make sense I will try to explain it better upon request.

After reading your post I learned a lot about the Big Bang than from reading books. Thanks.

Your explanation is quite understandable and I am eager to know more. Could you expand more on the topic?

What if you weren't in the outer wave of the universal bubble, how about in the center (if there is one) how would the explosion look from that point of view?

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ok lets say for example that me and Einstein both have space ships that can travel at the speed of light and we are sitting in outer space side by side.

Now I am going to take off going at the speed of light for about 2 minutes. When I took off Einstein witnessed me leaving at the speed of light. While I am going through space I turn on my lights that point back toward Einstein.

The Question is will Einstein see that light in 2 minutes which equals the amount of time it took my ship at the speed of light to reach the point I am at or will it take 4 minutes to reach him since the source of the light (my ship) is still moving away at the speed of light?

The Answer is 2 minutes. I will see the light from the rear lights and for that matter the head lights if I so turn them on leave my ship at the speed of light. Einstein will also see the light from my ship reach him at the speed of light. The reason is light is constant no matter who is observing it according to Einstein.

Basically just the answer to the what happens if I turn on a flashlight while travelling the speed of light.

Anyways if I was in the middle of the universe I would see the light reach me at the speed of light depending on how far the explosion was from the center. If the explosion happened right after the big bang then I would see it from the center almost instantly, same as from the outer wave. For the light just now to be reaching the earth the Big Bang would have had to have happened alot earlier than originally thought.

Of Course all this depends on the fact that nothing can be faster than the speed of light. If our universe expands at a rate greater than the speed of light then I just don't know.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thanks BlackJackal. Your posts are really interesting to read at the same time very enlightening. Keep up the good work.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britman

How can something that is infinite be expanding or have ever expanded from a little ball?

We don't really know that the universe itself is expanding. We do know, however, that everything in it is.

Originally posted by darklanser
Matter cannot be destroyed, only converted. All the energy from the explosion had to have went somewhere. So, I don't believe that 1/3 of the universe was destroyed. It might have been displaced of shunted to another dimension though.....

Energy transforms, but matter can definitely be destroyed.

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Correct me if i'm wrong but as i understand (i believe i read this somewhere yesterday), the universe is 13.7 billion years old according to recent estimates...

so that would place the explosion at 1.7 billion years into the life of the universe. maybe it was just an aftershock, like in an earthquake... is cosmic terms 1.7 billion years isnt much...

i do like the theory that its our expandin universe colliding into another one (which i guess is now part of ours) it makes sense that if we have one universe then there could be more on the same dimensional plane.

i think it could also be another smaller 'big bang' attempt that may have failed (akin to jupiter as a failed star), you know, had some of the components to make the 'bang' but it just couldnt compete with the energy of the current expanding universe...

but if the explosion was 12 billion light years away and the universe was 1.7 billion years old at the time... is it possible it could have taken place outside the universe as it was then?

i dunno i'm just typing as i think and it probably doesnt make much sense but its just some food for thought

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Would the recent Paralell universe discoveries have anything to do with all of this?

Deep

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The reason why is the universe could not expand at a rate faster than the speed of light and light from the explosion could not travel faster than the speed of light.

Why couldn't it? That's only the fastest thing we know of in our universe. Why would you think that the universe itself would be subject the the same physics? I mean, whatever contained the universe before it was the universe could have laws of it's own. Furthermore, I don't believe that light is the top speed anything can go. That's what the second postulate is all about. There's a problem with the speed of light hypothesis. There always has been.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   

i think it could also be another smaller 'big bang' attempt that may have failed

What exactly caused the first Big Bang to begin with?

Deep

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

The reason why is the universe could not expand at a rate faster than the speed of light and light from the explosion could not travel faster than the speed of light.

Why couldn't it? That's only the fastest thing we know of in our universe. Why would you think that the universe itself would be subject the the same physics? I mean, whatever contained the universe before it was the universe could have laws of it's own. Furthermore, I don't believe that light is the top speed anything can go. That's what the second postulate is all about. There's a problem with the speed of light hypothesis. There always has been.

Read a little furthur

Of Course all this depends on the fact that nothing can be faster than the speed of light. If our universe expands at a rate greater than the speed of light then I just don't know.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Read a little furthur

Sorry. My bad...I missed that somehow.

[Edited on 12-29-2003 by Satyr]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join