It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rebukes Administration on Greenhouse Emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Court Rebukes Administration on Greenhouse Emissions

www.nytimes.com

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 2, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP)

The Supreme Court ordered the federal government on Monday to take a fresh look at regulating carbon dioxide emissions from cars, a rebuke to Bush administration policy on global warming.

In a 5-4 decision, the court said the Clean Air Act gives the Environmental Protection Agency the authority to regulate the emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases from cars.

Greenhouse gases are air pollutants under the landmark environmental law, Justice John Paul Stevens said in his majority opinion.

The court's four conservative justices -- Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas -- dissented.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good. Whether humans are the sole cause of global warming or simply a part of a larger whole is entirely moot. If there is anything that we can possibly do to, if not stop it then at the very least ameliorate it's impact then it behooves us to do so. It is high time we stopped lobbeyist's (from whatever industry, oil, mining, pharmaceutical) writing the laws and dictating the policies that affect them. This supposed to be government for the people by the people NOT a government dictated by industry putting profit margins before the needs of community.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Funny that bush appointees assented, it tells yous how the supreme court plays their role and loyalties.

We all know how unexistant or I may say non enforced the regulations against emissions and any other environmental issue are in this country.

I find very sad that news like this do no make it to the media. If it was about who the father of Nichole Smith baby was it will be all over the news channels for the next three weeks.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
its right from the rove play book distract distract distract and the so-called liberal media dances to the tune...why? because the so called liberal media for the most part is owned by some very powerful and very conservative individuals and conglomerates. I don't expect this to be covered much I hope I am wrong but i doubt it. A burp on tonights news tucked in between Iraqi Idol and Anna Nicole Smith (or some such bullhooey) and that will be it.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is very good news, but also is a very serious reminder of how important it will be to vote your conscience in 2008. The 5-4 decision is just as valid as a 9-0 decisions in terms of law, but leaves a dangerously close gap that needs only the retirement of one more Justice to swing the balance to 4-5. God willing, that will not happen during the present regime.

Keep that in mind next November. Most of the remaining justices are quite old and ready to retire or expire. The next President will very likely determine at least one seat of the supreme court. Make sure it's one worth having.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As I was watching the news on this issue, I realized that actually it has been not legislation or laws to control the Emissions.

Our government has done nothing about because it feels that is no good business for America.

Perhaps is not going to be good business when trucks from Mexico starts to cross America and bring their low standards of qualifications.

Will this apply to them also?

new topics

top topics

join