It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin to extend presidential term?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I’m reading the 'West Australian' and there's an article in their that’s starting to make me wonder.
I am yet to find a link, so if anyone can help me , it would be appreciated.
Trust me or don’t, but I am going to quote word for word from the article until I find an online version

A leading Russian MP called yesterday for constitutional changes that would allow President Vladimir Putin to remain in office beyond next year.
Serfei mirnoov speaker of the upper house, said the presidential term should be extended from four to at least five years and that president should be permitted to server MORE than two consecutive terms

Tell me, does this seem familiar to any other time in Russian history?

[edit on 30-3-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
goddamn i love putin. the judo choppin, kgbing president of russia is such a bad ass. now if only he doesn't leave the presidency and become ceo of gazprom...damn.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Extending the presidency= Dictatorship.

That's it.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It does sound awfully familiar doesn't it. Does anyone know the Speaker of the Upper Houses party afiliation? I'm assuming, for the sake of the conversation, that it is at least allied with Mr. Putins?

Hark back to the good old days. Brother, am I bein' sarcastic. Last thing we need, with Europe having down sized their militaries as they have, is the big bad bear making a comeback. Though it is much, much too early to say that with any sort of certainty.

Not good.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I don't think it'll make much of a difference either way.

Even if Putin does step down, his successor will have been handpicked by him.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
in light of what is going on, i would say russia needs a hardliner to keep the americans in check. short term it would be helpfull to have a mobster protecting their interests, but the long term could be costly.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here's something on it found on CNN. I'm having trouble with the part indicating Putin's resistance to changing their Constitution so he may serve another term. Doesn't just seem fishy, it really stinks. we'll see?

Putin ext term:
www.cnn.com...

Dallas

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't think it'll make much of a difference either way.

Even if Putin does step down, his successor will have been handpicked by him.

exactly, same with Bush

new topics

top topics

join