It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House Silent on British Hostage Crisis - Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

House Silent on British Hostage Crisis - Are You Outraged?

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Members of the House left Washington on Friday for their two-week spring break without weighing in on the international crisis tormenting the nation's closest ally: the capture of 15 British sailors and marines by Iran.

The omission by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., is being noted by some Republicans, who say they should have gotten the chance to join the Senate in denouncing Tehran's bold actions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
EU ministers put pressure on Iran
Female Captured UK sailor calls for troops out of Iraq

[edit on 3/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I do not know about the rest of US ATS Members but I am outraged at the lack of response to the situation by the Speaker of the house, The EU all have made it clear they were behind Britain in this time of crisis but not here what a shame Easter Vacation was more important then standing behind our close friends :shk:

Bad way to treat your closest Allie if you ask me

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Bone-up on the situation shots. Britain has specifically requested that the US NOT make any statements or release any rhetoric that could inflame the situation. We're obviously doing as they requested.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Bone-up on the situation shots. Britain has specifically requested that the US NOT make any statements or release any rhetoric that could inflame the situation. We're obviously doing as they requested.

Do you have a quote that state's what you are claiming the source article says

Daly said the British government had not asked Congress to try to pressure Tehran.

"The leadership discussed it and agreed that inserting Congress into an international crisis while ongoing would not be helpful," Daly said.

The way I read that it just means they had not asked it does not ask them not to say anything. Also I find your claim somewhat odd considering the rest of the EU have spoken out, surely if they asked their closest Allie they would have asked the others also NO???

CX

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think the US is in a lose/lose situation as far as this is concerned.

If they so much as comment on the matter they will get stick for butting thier heads in and inflaming the situation with Iran, yet if they don't....which incidentaly i think many people would be gratefull for at the moment.....they'll get stick for not supporting thier ally.

I think deep down everyone knows that the US would stick by us whatever happens on this one so i'm not going to lose any sleep over the house not speaking up too much.

CX.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Speaker of the House Pelosi obviously has more important things on her mind. Easter break, and her forthcoming trip to Syria.

I don't think it would inflame the situation much more than it is already, if the House and Senate voted to support the British in this moment of crisis. Solidarity with our most important ally should certainly be worth postponing their departure for Easter recess.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Sure shots. Will this one do?

The United States, however, is deliberately remaining low key about the situation because the British goverment has asked it to do so, senior U.S. officials tell CNN.

The officials said the British had asked the U.S. not to make harsh statements about the incident that would set up the incident as a U.S. versus Iran issue.

"They have asked us to keep the rhetoric down and not do anything that would jeopardize their efforts to get the sailors and marines released," one senior official said.

The article was (obviously) originally reported on CNN but an archived version can be found here.

'nuff said??

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They the House in the US might not be saying things in Public, but can guarantee you, there will be things going on behind-doors that we wont know about....

Im just glad they have, agreed not to say anything. We do not want to rise tensions as of yet..

Lets wait and see what happens over the weekend....

Either way Im thankfull, that our cousins are given us support....

Just goes to show that the relationship between the UK and the US is special aftrall......

[edit on 31-3-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I don't think it would inflame the situation much more than it is already, if the House and Senate voted to support the British in this moment of crisis. Solidarity with our most important ally should certainly be worth postponing their departure for Easter recess.

I don't think anyone doubts the extent of U.S. support for Britain just now. If we say too much, we're going to make the British look bad. Blaire already gets a lot of flack from his own people about being an American puppet. He needs to be seen handling this problems in his own way. There is such a thing as too much help.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It could be they have been asked to play down the rhetoric, not tip our hand or that of the Brits.......if there's really any thing big in the offing, like others threads here have mentioned.

You know, shots.......National Security, loose lips sink ships, don't give away your position til you see the whites of their eyes, etc......

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Justin, I can see the point you're making. However, I fail to see how a mere declaration of support by Congress would make matters any more tense, or make the perception that Mr. Blair is some sort of puppet any more or less false.

I do see the point you're making and concede there is some validity there.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Most likely alot of private help is going on and has been agreed on.

I think we have probably said "if we need your help, we shall ask" and with President saying America supports the UK over this issue, the US is just staying silent until its needed. Which is probably soon.

Blair said that we are talking to our allies, that includes the US

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
because iran will take our support and twist it to make it look like and endgame scenario.....imean have you noticed what happens when we do ANYTHING in that region...people blow up...we dont know why...we dont want to........we just hope ALL of them will blow up after a while and we can leave

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
because iran will take our support and twist it to make it look like and endgame scenario.....imean have you noticed what happens when we do ANYTHING in that region...people blow up...we dont know why...we dont want to........we just hope ALL of them will blow up after a while and we can leave

Uhhhh.....seriously? Is there an award for the most ignorant post? Lets see, we don't know why they blow themselves up? Uhh, maybe its because there is an occupying power in their backyard. Just because you don't understand a cultures beliefs and ways of life, doesn't mean it can be justified with such an ignorant response.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
its called humor......maybe youve heard of it???

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And maybe you've heard of grammar and punctuation?

From what I can see, this thread is discussing a serious matter. And your "attempt" at humor is bogging it down.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
you dont think iran has there own propaganda department like the us then you are just not thinking and they blow themselves up because theres no room for growth in there society and being a terrorist is easier then ghetting a real job its like the gangbanger phenomona noone knows why it spread like fire but it did and it continues

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think the OP would like to have responses about the current situation, rather than have people discussing the ARMPIT of American Society.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by DrOOpieS]

[edit on 31-3-2007 by DrOOpieS]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
could you atleast stay on top;ic maybe instead of twisting my words for your own use....ok now listen closely....gangster sell drugs to purchase weapons to kill people terrorists sell drugs to buy weapons to kill people its an easy relation to make if america does a damn thing abouit this those british troops are not coming home...ever.....iran would be immeadiatley against america like they always have been....kinda how no matter what i say you keep arguing with me no matter what..

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Does it seem a little too convienient that Congress is on Spring Break? We're currently closer than ever to a conflict with Iran, and a third of the power in the government is on vacation? Something smells fishy to me. Seems a little strange that if something were to happen, Ol' George has free range and there is no one to stop him. Hmmmm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join