It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irans capibilities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
with all the Iran stuff going on lets look at their forces
lets have a topic about their forces (this is not a topic about ours is better the their but the capibilities of that country)

Iran air force
source www.globalsecurity.org...

SYSTEM

FIGHTER / ATTACK 302

F-4D/E / RF-4E PHANTOM :65
F-5E/F TIGER II :60
F-14 TOMCAT :25
F-6 (China J-6) :?
F-7 (China J-7) :25
MiG-29A/UB: 25
Su-22 FITTER: ?
Su-25K: 7
Su-24MK :30
Mirage F-1 :25
MiG-23 FLOGGER: 15
Azarakhsh: 6
Shafaq: 0
BOMBERS -
H-6
-
Tu-22M Backfire
-
AEW 1
IL-76
RECON 5
RF-4E
RF-5
-
TANKER / TRANSPORT 4
Boeing 707
Boeing 747
CARGO / TRANSPORT 67

C-130E/H :18
Boeing 707F :5
Boeing 727 :1
Iran 140

Commander 690 3
F-27 10
Falcon 20 5
Jetstar 1
PC-6B 10
Y-7:2
Y-12 II:10
IL-76: ?
TRAINING 180
Dorna / Dorneh:2
Parastu:12

Beech F-33A/C 20

EMB-312 20
PC-7 40
T-33 10

has anyone got a more uptodate figure? since thats from 2005

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'm interested to know the status of the F-1 Mirages they got from Iraq.
24 of them were flown over and the IRIAF has been known to operate these a/c
as one of them was involved in a crash while conducting anti-drug smuggling operations on the Afghan border.

The F-1s that Iran possess are quite good:

Possibly armed with the Exocet AM-39 Anti ship missile( Topgun
) that has a 70km range.
A salvo of these could maime a carrier and sink a lesser vessel if they manage to get them off..

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here is a good link on IRIAF F-1 Mirages.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

wiqi

In 1977, the bulk of the fleet was shifted from Khorramshahr to the new headquarters at Bandar-e Abbas. Bushehr was the other main base; smaller facilities were located at Khorramshahr, Khark Island, and Bandar-e Khomeini (formerly known as Bandar-e Shahpur). Bandar-e Anzali (formerly known as Bandar-e Pahlavi) was the major training base and home of the small Caspian Sea fleet, which consisted of a few patrol boats and a minesweeper. The naval base at Bandar Beheshti (formerly known as Chah Bahar) on the Gulf of Oman had been under construction since the late 1970s and in late 1987 still was not completed. Smaller facilities were located near the Strait of Hormuz.

Imam Khomeini
Shahid Rajaie
Anzali
Noshahr
Bushehr
Chabahar
Khark

source

global security

image hosted by service i pay for

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Looks like they stocked up on all kinds of tech from all over the world haven't they.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestro46
Looks like they stocked up on all kinds of tech from all over the world haven't they.

Regards,
Maestro

and they got some nice toys from uncle sam aswell when they were good chums

anyone got any input on their forces?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Iran's economy is typically lousy, and though their military may be huge the defense budget is not. It would be interesting to know how well maintained its equipment is, but probably impossible to find out.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Anyone here think having so much different tech from all over the world give them some kind of a bonus? I mean; they know the capabilities of quite a bit of the coalition's tech since they field it themselves, this is usefull isn't it?

Here's an example; their MIGs fly against F-14s in training (yes yes, Iranian pilots hardly fly, still), I think that gives them a much better feel for what they're up against (maybe just a bit...).

regards,
maestro

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
IMHO i dont think any of Iran's military capabilities are even that much of a threat. Their long range missiles are of concern, but we should be able to shoot those down. Their greatest weapons lie with terrorist assets spread across the Middle East, Europe, and even within the US. If they secretly have biological, chemical, or even nuclear weapons they will use them. They will use Hezbollah and its extensive terror cells to attack anywhere they can. IF they are going down, they are taking as many innocent civilians with them as they possibly can.

Their greatest weapon is economic. If the US attacks, you can be sure that Iran will lash out across the middle east. This will drive oil to nearly $100 a barrel. If this type of price is sustained the collapse of the American dollar could be inevitable. How long will Americans pay for gas at $5 a gallon?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I dunno man. I mean, and please don't take offense, but this is exactly the kind of talk that was going on right befor the invasion of Iraq. Look at it now. Call it insurgency all you want, but guerilla warfare isn't a pretty thing, and all that takes is manpower (for the most part anyways). But who knows how this will go down IF it will.

My question remains unanswered still.

regards,
Maestro

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
just found this site while searching for a pic of the shafaq jet fighter.
got lots of piccies of iranian weapon systems.

network54

(warning the whole page might take a long time to load due to the size of all the pictures)

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Iran manufactures it's own domestic fighter plane which is similar to the F-5 .. this is not on the list?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
some videos of their deffences and personal

air deffence and how theirs work

Tor 1

Iranian cobra

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
just found this site while searching for a pic of the shafaq jet fighter.
got lots of piccies of iranian weapon systems.

Actually I just read somewhere that the Shafagh would never really get into the construction phase, as a production model or even a prototype/tech demonstrator.

This infact is just a full scale wooden mockup according to Janes.
I never knew that. I thought it was a fully constructed prototype or something.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Really what it comes down to is not what they have its what we got to counter it with. All thier missiles mean nothing we got patriot missiles their planes not in good shape and outdated their pilots not as well trained.

The biggest thing is how many trrops can you field and the winner is Iran military 11,770,000 or so United States Armed Forces active personnel 1,426,713 reserves national guard and coast guard 2,685,713 but we have great training.

Iran's 2005 defence budget was estimated to be $6.3 America'a for 2007 is $532.8 Billion larger than anyone else in the world and also the military budgets of the next fourteen biggest spenders combined.

$532.8 Billion does not include many military-related items that are outside of the Defense Department budget, such as nuclear weapons research, maintenance and production (Department of Energy), Veterans Affairs or the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (which are largely funded through extra-budgetary supplements).

To the point of all this Iran does not have the economy to compete for long. A huge amount of their GDP goes to the military so they wont be able to do anything and sustain schools, water, power, and public transportation all at the same time.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19 Kilo
The biggest thing is how many trrops can you field and the winner is Iran military 11,770,000 or so

According to the Iranian Military wiki article, the Iranian armed forces (including the Revolutionary Guard) numbers about 545,000 personnel.

It really isn't just about numbers, either - there are so many other variables including training, equipment, commanders as well as things we can't change such as weather and landscape. Could the US successfully invade Iran? Yes, I think it could. Whether it could occupy Iran is a different matter.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Really what it comes down to is not what they have its what we got to counter it with. All thier missiles mean nothing we got patriot missiles their planes not in good shape and outdated their pilots not as well trained.

over confidence is one thing that is the akilies heal of the US
they think that with all the high tec weapons and so forth they can win and sustain any type of war.

for the patriot and so forth Iran have a counter part from russia and china

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Im in the military I know the numbers service is mandatory in Iran. Next year over 2 million people will start service and its bigger the year after that. America or U.K. combined cant match the numbers they field thats why their wont be a war.

over confidence is one thing that is the akilies heal of the US

It may be but at least our troops over their are fighting.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Im in the military I know the numbers service is mandatory in Iran. Next year over 2 million people will start service and its bigger the year after that. America or U.K. combined cant match the numbers they field thats why their wont be a war.

2 million?!!
Are you serious?
Link?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
2 million?!!
Are you serious?
Link?

i think hes talking about people fit for miliatry service or on list for reserve if any conflict should happen (call to arms)

<<   2 >>

join