It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Want to use Cattle Prod on Son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Parents Want to use Cattle Prod on Son

www.cnn.com

Except for a few words, Bradley Bernstein, 48, can't speak. He often beats himself bloody in the face and eyes.

At age three, Bradley was diagnosed with autism and severe mental retardation. His parents, Fran and Bob Bernstein, say they've tried everything: restraints, psychotropic drugs, you name it. The only thing that gets Bradley to stop hitting himself, they say, is an electric cattle prod.

When their son, who they call their "baby," is hurting himself, they zap him with an electric jolt from the prod. This has been going on for nearly 40 years. Even the attendants at Bradley's various group homes around the Chicago area have been using the prod.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
specialchildren.about.com
www.suntimes.com

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I cannot believe that the parents would want to use a cattle prod on their son :shk:

Even the experts say it is wrong and the mother mentioned in an older story that laws are meant to be broken.
""Laws are made to be broken," she said." (see 2nd supporting link at end of article.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/29/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It's sad because I laughed thinking it was a joke. It is kind of sick, but you know, it's been on TV before, just in a joking way.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
When looking at this at face value, it really sounds awful. Using a cattle prod on their son. Makes you want to say "What the heck is wrong with these people?"

However, an individual with autism and severe mental retardation who beats himself bloody, and the ONLY thing that makes him stop harming himself is a cattle prod, is another story entirely. Have you ever seen someone afflicted with the aforementioned syndrome go off on a meltdown? I have, and it is scary as hell. During a meltdown there really is virtually nothing that can be done to stop it. It needs to ride it's course. When self harm and/or self mutilation is involved it is horrifying. Frankly if a cattle prod stops it, I have to say OK. A quick jolt vs. self harm? Easy choice, even if it does sound kind of rough.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have seen mixed opinions on this. Law and Order carried a show about youngster where a doctor used the treatment and that show carried a disclaimer that it might have been based on a real life situation, which many programs in that series are only the name and places are changed. The state won in that case and the reporter who wrote this piece for CNN stated they used the shock on him/her and the reporter said never again.

From what I can find so far most are against it rather then for it and that included the reporter and the facility who housess the son.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Given the choice, this is a very difficult ethical dilemna.

Personally, I am revulsed by the idea of using a cattle prod on a human. They can deliver a pretty serious jolt.

Simultaneously, I am revulsed by the idea of standing by and watching, or physically struggling with, a person who is attempting to do themself harm.

I think I would have to look for some alternative method of delivering a fast, impressive stimulus. Dog training collar? How about the delivery systems felons have been known to wear in court?

top topics

join