It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King starts humane purchasing campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Burger King starts humane purchasing campaign

www.iht.com

In what animal welfare advocates are describing as a "historic advance," Burger King, the world's second-largest hamburger chain, said that it would begin buying eggs and pork from suppliers that did not confine their animals in cages and crates.

The company said Tuesday that it would also favor suppliers of chickens that use gas, or "controlled-atmospheric stunning," rather than electric shocks to knock birds unconscious before slaughter. It is considered a more humane method, though only a handful of slaughterhouses use it.

The goal for the next few months, Burger King said, is for 2 percent of its eggs to be "cage free," and for 10 percent of its pork to come from pig farms that allow sows to move around inside pens, rather than being confined to crates. The company said those percentages would rise as more farmers shift to these methods and more competitively priced supplies become available.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theage.com.au
www.time.com
abcnews.go.com

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm sure Burger King is only doing this for PR but any direction to be more humane should be applauded.
I'm sure McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken will soon follow suit.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
They were having a blast with this this morning on local talk radio. One of the press releases referred to the eggs as they are commonly known, "Cage Free Eggs."

"Is not the egg itself a cage?"

"The poor eggs! Why do they have to be kept in those dreadful cartons! Let them roll free! Be free eggs! Be free!!"

Ahh... it never ends!

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I applaud them for this decision, they never should have been serving humans.
Taking a strong stance against cannibalism is a good step.

Remember, Soylent Green is people.

EDIT: I think I missed a vowel.....

[edit on 28/3/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
isn't the end result the same (the animals being killed for human consumption)???

i can't see the big deal in keeping them in cages, sorry...

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
isn't the end result the same

It's all the same...........

I've been involved in every aspect of the human food chain.

I've confined little baby calves in tiny pens so other people could eat veal.

I've put a bolt gun to the head of countless cattle so you could eat steak or ribs.

I've wrapped my hands around the necks of rabbits and squeezed out their life, and then torn off their skin while they're still warm, so you could eat the meat.

I've used a pen knife to puncture the brains of chickens while they were inverted in a chute and squawking to save their lives.

I've hunted wild animals in the bush, and pulled fish from the sea.

I've also spent many hours in the kitchen cooking the animals we eat.

Most of the people that live in "civilized countries" have removed themselves from the fact that meat comes from a living animal. People seem to think that meat comes from a little package at the local grocer, or in a nice wrap from McDonald's.

Factory farms are a fact of life, and how my egg gets to my pan really doesn't matter.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well this is a step in the right direction. I do not object to the use of animals for food but i do think we have an obligation to treat them in a humane way while they are alive. There also needs to be a clean up in the way they are killed, there is no need for them to suffer.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The first time I read this headline, I thought Burger King was going cannibal on us.

What a difference a little "e" can make

Anyway, I support anything to make the animals we eat happier in life, but I'm still and always will be an avid meat-eater.

[edit on 3/29/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Whenever I eat anything form Burger King I ge the screaming #s shortly afterwards, dunno what they put in thier food but it can´t be good.

top topics

join