It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Australian Cane Toad Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Giant Cane Toad

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A huge cane toad the size of a small dog has been captured in the Australian tropical city of Darwin, startling environmentalists who are fighting to stop the poisonous reptiles from spread across the country.

"It's a monster toad," said Paul Cowdy from FrogWatch which captured the cane toad Monday night.

"We've never seen a cane toad this big," he said on Tuesday. "It's a male and normally females are bigger."

The cane toad, regarded as a major pest in Australia, was one of 39 caught by a group from FrogWatch near Lee Point in Darwin. It measures 20.5 cm (8 inches) in length and weighs 840 grams (1.8 pounds) -- twice the normal weight.

May I ask all the Ausie's out there if they've ever had a problem with these beastly frogs?

Anyway, this is a perfect example of survival of the fittest/natural selection/evolution. Eventually (maybe) there will either be an animal that will develop an immunity to the poisonous skin, and thus keep the creatures size and population down. Or nothing will be able to eat it, and then their size and population will both increase.

Interesting thing this nature.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
No picture? I am noy necessarily doubting the story but it would seem that a picture of it would have been taken.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Plenty of pictures out there.

This one from yahoo news.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Okay, imagine this, but HUGE!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Are we talking like giant turtle huge, or huge in comparison to other toads we may come across? I mean, my imagination is running pretty wild here.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is a pretty big toad.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it kinda nasty that they put them in plastic bags, freeze them, then turn them into liquid fertilizer? It's obviously a legitimate thing to do, just a little gross if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Cute eh.

A CANE toad the size of a small dog has been nabbed in the middle of a "breeding frenzy" at a Darwin suburb.

Dubbed the 'monster toad' by its catchers, the 861g male is the largest to be caught anywhere in the Northern Territory, according to environmental group Frogwatch.

The warty pest was picked up by local volunteers during a community toad bust at Lee Point last night.

emphasis mine
www.news.com.au...

"Toad bust"

sanc

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Does anyone else find it kinda nasty that they put them in plastic bags, freeze them, then turn them into liquid fertilizer? It's obviously a legitimate thing to do, just a little gross if you ask me.

Raso' as long as they are 'put down' in a humane way, I have no problem with that.

Cane Toad in Australia

The introduction of the Cane toad to Australia is the biggest stuff up since a couple of blokes imported a few rabbits for 'sporting purposes' a couple of hundred years ago.

Rabbits in Australia

sanc

top topics

join