It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Hexagon Spotted On Saturn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Bizarre Hexagon Spotted On Saturn

www.msnbc.msn.com

One of the most bizarre weather patterns in the solar system has been photographed at Saturn, where astronomers have spotted a huge, six-sided feature circling the north pole.

Rather than the normally sinuous cloud structures seen on all planets that have atmospheres, this thing is a hexagon.

The honeycomb feature has been seen before. NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft imaged it more than two decades ago. Now, having spotted it with the Cassini spacecraft, scientists conclude it is a long-lasting oddity.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've always thought that the Giant Red Spot on Jupiter was cool. This in my opinion is even cooler.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

"This is a very strange feature, lying in a precise geometric fashion with six nearly equally straight sides," Kevin Baines, atmospheric expert and member of Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, said Tuesday in an image advisory. "We've never seen anything like this on any other planet. Indeed, Saturn's thick atmosphere, where circularly shaped waves and convective cells dominate, is perhaps the last place you'd expect to see such a six-sided geometric figure, yet there it is."

The Hexagon is big enough to fit almost 4 earths inside of it. This is a neat anamoly. I would hope that they would be able to figure out what is causing it.

Tea

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I can't wait to hear NASA explain this thing. Isn't there some statement out there that straight lines in nature are impossible. Well, here are six.

Do they really think we're that stupid? Come on, NASA, explain this away.

And, incidentally, where are the pics of Iapetus? Seems like they're keeping Cassini at quite a distance from the weirdest moon of the bunch.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am curious as to what would/could cause something like this.
To some of our more scientifically minded members, seriously what do you think. This is one of the strangest anomolies I've ever seen.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Very strange indeed.

The fact that it's at the north pole makes it a little less strange though. With all of the gasses swirling around Saturn, I'm surprised there aren't more spirograph looking patterns on the surface.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That is amazing.

Certainly doesn't look "natural", does it?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Good thing it wasn't a pentagon or there would be lot of freaked out people.

[edit on 27/3/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

The fact that it's at the north pole makes it a little less strange though. With all of the gasses swirling around Saturn, I'm surprised there aren't more spirograph looking patterns on the surface.

Hey Ras. Not only is the fact that the Hexagon is there at all, it is extremely odd that it's been there for 20+ years. What on earth (Ok, maybenot earth, but Saturn) would do that?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Uhm.. Hexagons appear often in nature, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact natural. Lots of objects in nature has the golden ratio in them, which includes the pentagon, the hexagon and other objects, such as the swirl.

These objects all appear in nature. Which means that there is a prevalent mathematical formula in natural formations.

Check these links here for some natural hexagons:

citybees.blogspot.com...

en.wikipedia.org...:Carapax.svg

It's still a mystery as to what caused it to happen, but I'm practically sure it will be a natural explanation.

[edit on 27-3-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Good thing it wasn't a pentagon or there would be lot of freaked out people.

[edit on 27/3/2007 by Umbrax]

Umbrax - dude that was classic! I literally laughed.
Nice!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Uhm.. Hexagons appear often in nature, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact natural. Lots of objects in nature has the golden ratio in them, which includes the pentagon, the hexagon and other objects, such as the swirl.

These objects all appear in nature. Which means that there is a prevalent mathematical formula in natural formations.

Agreed, but again, this is a cloud formation. A formation in the clouds which has been there for more than 20 years.
It's not like a rock that isn't going to change shape for 1000's of years, these are clouds.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Shouldn't make much of a difference IMHO. They just have to study it and figure out what atmospheric conditions are causing it..

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It's possibly the gateway to the hollow-planet theory. Since we're dealing with Saturn let it be known that this involves masonic black sun worship from all around the world. So whatever is happening here is possibly the energy fluctuations alien beings are toying with to influence our daily lives. What do you think?

www.byerly.org...

[edit on 27/3/2007 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'll take your word for it Thebandit. I don't know enough about it, but frankly I think that it would make a difference.
To cause something like this, I would have to assume that the winds blowing on the planet are deflecting off of something at a steady speed up into the clouds to create this object in the clouds. Would that object have to be symetrical?
Add to that the "Human Eye" shaped cloud structure on the other pole, and we have one bizarre planet indeed.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hyperdimensional physics anyone? Certain less than accepted theories (
) involving plantetary energy grids, an aether style cosmological medium, plasma physics etc. can explain these phenomenon far better than our current models. For me, this hexagon at the pole only further reinforces the special place the platonic solids hold in the universes. Plasma cosmology also offers an intriguing take on the physics of the universe, one that is far more amenable to phenomenon such as these. A little reding on these topics may provide further insight into exactly what is occuring here.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I am scientifically minded and I havn't the slightest clue.

Maybe we should call it The Hexagon.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Hyperdimensional physics anyone? Certain less than accepted theories (
) involving plantetary energy grids, an aether style cosmological medium, plasma physics etc. can explain these phenomenon far better than our current models. For me, this hexagon at the pole only further reinforces the special place the platonic solids hold in the universes. Plasma cosmology also offers an intriguing take on the physics of the universe, one that is far more amenable to phenomenon such as these. A little reding on these topics may provide further insight into exactly what is occuring here.

Yeah, I was going to say that! I would have to pretend to know what you're saying here. Hat's off to you. You're so far over my head that I think maybe I should stop typing right now.....

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Oh no, this will be thrown into the realm of "oh NASA...it must be designed by intelligent life".

As bandit already pointed out: It is not uncommon to find geometric shapes in nature.

It should also be kept in mind that the mind looks for recognizable patterns and shapes in order to catagorize and make sense of cognitive input.

And lastly, in regards to the 'explain the straight lines; there are no straight lines in nature', where is it said that the lines that form this shape are straight. From the picture it looks as if they are not straight.

It seems to just be another amazingly beautiful and startlingly 'familiar' anamoly in nature that should make us all say "wow..." and not look so much into it.

EDIT: Spelling and the like.

[edit on 3/27/0707 by spines]

[edit on 3/27/0707 by spines]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
lol, is that sarcasm lombozo, I can never tell on this interweb thingie

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join