It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wrong images of Saturn

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbrain
Fish-eye lens deforms and distorts real environment close to Spirit and therefore can't help to locate possible obstacles.

Did you read my post?

In those links they say that:

The two Navcams are mounted on the rover mast as a stereo pair. They take visible light panoramic images with a 45 x 45 degree field of view to assist in navigation of the rover, and also asssist the hazard avoidance imaging by giving a higher perspective of the ground.

For the obstacles they use the Hazard Avoidance Cameras (4 and not 2 as I said before).

There are four Hazcoms, two mounted on the lower front of the rover and two on the lower rear. They are black and white visible light cameras with a field of view of about 120 x 120 degrees. The cameras view the terrain up to three meters in front of and behind the rover to detect any obstacles in the path of the rover. The camera output is interpretated by software which directs the rover to avoid any perceived hazards.

Edit:
I forgot to add that fish-eye lens are from the Hazard Avoidance Cameras, as you can see here, for example.

[edit on 30/3/2007 by ArMaP]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
In those links they say that:

The two Navcams are mounted on the rover mast as a stereo pair. They take visible light panoramic images with a 45 x 45 degree field of view to assist in navigation of the rover, and also asssist the hazard avoidance imaging by giving a higher perspective of the ground.

What a gross mistake.
NASA buffoons have faked these videos using fish-eye lens of Softimage to offer a halo of mistery in the exploration of Mars and to avoid that people can realize their videos are faked.
These are the real reasons to use fish-eye lens.

This could be the real illumination of Saturn as regards to its shadow

[edit on 30-3-2007 by bigbrain]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

NASA buffoons have faked these videos using fish-eye lens of Softimage to offer a halo of mistery in the exploration of Mars and to avoid that people can realize their videos are faked.

Sorry for keeping on the Mars subject, but why do you say that the use of fish-eye lens was to avoid that people would realize that their videos are fake?

Doesn't Softimage, Maya, 3D Studio Max, etc. have the capability of doing videos that you can not see that are fake?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

The sun in this image is almost perpendicular to the Saturn rings - look at the shadow on the sphere of Saturn - and the shadow lines MUST be rectilinear.

The Sun almost perpendicular to Saturn's rings? Here's what Saturn looked like from the Sun's point of view on Jan. 19th, 2007 when that image was taken. That does not look like "almost perpendicular" to me.

How come Saturn looks so big when viewed from the Sun, but it is so small when viewed from the Earth? I need a telescope to see it.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
bigbrain --

You've been presented with information which explains exactly why the hazcams on the rovers use fish-eye lenses, yet you chose to ignore it instead of providing a rebuttal. If you don't want to read that info, here's an extraction: The hazcams are used to provide the on-board navigation computers with a view of the rovers' surroundings. Since the cameras are fixed it's only logical that they would be "fish-eyed" to allow them to "see" any obstacle which may be around the camera (in lieu of right in front of the camera) and allow the navigation computers to act accordingly. The computers can read the fish-eyed views just fine.

Actually, I think using a fish-eye lens is actually a very ingineneous thing for NASA to do, in lieu of providing the extra "regular" lensed cameras which would be required to see the same view. It's not "buffoon-ish" at all.

here's another similar link (please don't choose to ignore this one if you wish to continue this debate. It's important information):

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

And you still haven't provided a rebuttal for the questions about the tilt of Saturn's rings, let alone a new AutoCAD rendering showing what the shadow should actually look like, accounting for all of the variables of Saturn's inclination and axial tilt relative to the Sun, on the day the photo was taken (remember, the relative tilt and inclination is always changing and on a 29-earth year cycle). All you ever do is repeat the same argument, or change the subject.

You remind me of another guy on these boards with a very similar debating style as you. His screen name is "esecallum". You must have learned your debating skills from him. Or maybe you were separated at birth or something like that.

jra

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblate Spheroid
Whats odd though is how black it is on the edges, normally a bit of light should come through and cause the outer parts to be a bit lighter. Like when the moon is half gone, where the shadow ends you can still see a bit further.

Don't forget that the particular shot of Saturn we're discussing is highly over exposed, thus a lot of the lit area of Saturn is blown out. If you look at the normal exposures, you'll see a smoother gradation from light to dark.

What a gross mistake.
Fish-eye lens deforms and distorts real environment close to Spirit and therefore can't help to locate possible obstacles.

You see too many cartoons.

Firstly, I fail to see what cartoons have to do with fish-eye lenses.

Secondly, yes fish-eye lenses distort the image, but that's the point, it gives one a wider field of view in one shot. It does help them. Here's an image from the Navcam and here's one from the front Hazcam. That's not so bad is it? Notice how you can see both front wheels in a single Hazcam shot. That kind of helps don't you think? I surely do.

How does using a fish-eye lens "offer a halo of mystery in the exploration of Mars"? And again, you do know that only the Hazcams and the Navcams (although to a lesser degree) have the fish-eye lens right? While the others are not. Your reasoning and logic is seriously flawed.

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by jra
Here's what Saturn looked like from the Sun's point of view on Jan. 19th, 2007 when that image was taken.

How come Saturn looks so big when viewed from the Sun, but it is so small when viewed from the Earth? I need a telescope to see it.

That's not a real image. It's from the Solar System Simulator. You can pick where you'd like to view any other object from, in the solar system and set the time and date, the amount of zoom etc. I just wanted to show bigbrain the angle of Saturn's rings to the Sun.

[edit on 30-3-2007 by jra]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
SPRING 2007 CONTEST

Could you tell me which of these images is real?
The other one is made by myself with the help of Softimage.

jra

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I know the first one (The Crab Nebula) was not made by you. The other one of a Galaxy looks like it was taken by an amateur astronomer using a low quality camera, judging by the amount of noise on the image. I'd really like to see a screenshot of your Softimage with the file open and visible in the viewports.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by jra]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I don’t know why I bother with this, but the first image is not from Hubble, I think that was taken by the European Southern Observatory.

If you did actually create one of these it would have to be the second one.

Again, I keep asking, even if you can fake an image, what is your proof that they are fake? Just because you can fake an image doesn’t mean it is a fake image.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i think you guys should give this thread on ATS a good hard look.

methinks we've been over this.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join