It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

omnipotence AND omniscience, the paradox

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hey madnessinmysoul,

OK...I admit to injecting attributes of a specific being into your "god" equation...so much for long-windedness...

OK...I'll take the bait:

It seems to me that your god doesn't have a conflict with being all-knowing/all-powerful, since you are talking about a future event:

At a given point in time (the present) god sees a specific point in time (in the future), a point in which god has somehow been manifest.

At what point does god "change his mind"?

If it is at any instant prior to the actual arrival at the future point in question, then it would seem that god, standing at the original point, and viewing into the future, has already compensated for a change of mind; what he sees at the end-point is the product of the change he made somewhere in-between the two.

I am no philosopher, obviously, and I suspect there is probably an obvious flaw in my argument, and that people have probably been arguing over this, in some fashion, since Plato and the "Idea of the Good"...

so...set me straight on this one...

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
apocalypticon, you're right. the postulated being's interpretation of time does have a lot to do with this paradox. if it sees time the way we do, the paradox is obvious because the being's knowledge of future events would have proven false, making the being no longer omniscient

as for other ways of viewing time... well, nobody can really speak to those

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i think the problem we're having here is in communication, mainly because you're adding a postulate to my initial assertion, i never said ANYWHERE that this hypothetical deity has a perfect will. you're projecting your own personal bias onto the problem.

this is a hypothetical deity, not based on any specific religion's deity.

Either way the flaws and the consistencies have been shown. The communication problem is coming from both sides, but only be cause one side refuses to acknowledge the other's message

[edit on 21-3-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i think the problem we're having here is in communication, mainly because you're adding a postulate to my initial assertion, i never said ANYWHERE that this hypothetical deity has a perfect will. you're projecting your own personal bias onto the problem.

this is a hypothetical deity, not based on any specific religion's deity.

It seems very clear to me what you are on about!
If said deity was omnipotent and omniscient then a paradox would ensue if the deity wanted to change its mind due to the fact that the future is already known by the omniscience of the deity at the very beginning of time and therefore any change must have been determined at that time and negating the deities omnipotence to affect the future and vice versa

Humbleone- just for you ?*%^ )$£ &)( ?~[

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join