It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fueling Humans on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
NASA and other peeps are trying to get the human race established on Mars... I would assume in order to eventually setup another Earth-like society up there.

So, how would they fuel a population? Can we assume that there would be fossil fuels present underneath that rusty exterior? I mean, here on Earth we cant seem to break away from fossil fuels... we couldnt survive without them at the moment (soon to change maybe). Even if we can convert to another fuel source here on Earth, would we be able to make it over on Mars?

You have to use available resources to generate the energy you need. So what would a society use on Mars?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Well as far as electricity goes there's solar cells, and the fact that Mars would be one hell of a wind farm with the weather there. As far as fossil fuels you'd have to prove there was abundant life on mars before even discussing the possibility of fossil fuels as we know them. There may be combustible natural gasses under the surface that could be harnessed for transportation, heating, etc. My thoughts anyhow.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
Well as far as electricity goes there's solar cells, and the fact that Mars would be one hell of a wind farm with the weather there. As far as fossil fuels you'd have to prove there was abundant life on mars before even discussing the possibility of fossil fuels as we know them. There may be combustible natural gasses under the surface that could be harnessed for transportation, heating, etc. My thoughts anyhow.

Absolutely correct. Solar and wind would be naturals on Mars. Another "alternative" energy source would be to tap into Mars' crust to develop energy from geo thermal sources.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Great Idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Geothermal power coupled with the abundant water ice on mars would add a lot of possibilities. I think with just what we've listed here we have the basic ingredients for a civilized life on mars were we to set up shop there.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Well, the shop is definatley in the works. NASA has been having wet dreams about putting humans on Mars for decades.

Solar energy is obviously very abundant over there, and so is wind. But our current technology in efficient solar cells is a bit lacking. I doubt we could support a city the size of, say Nashville, with that kind of energy conversion. Wind generators are an excellent idea though.

In regards to geo-thermal energy, I am not as aware as I should be about this property of Mars. If there is a lot of pressure and heat under the crust, then I assume you could harness that the same way we do here on this blue rock.

Either way, its a safe bet to assume that energy sources on Mars would be very different than what we rely on here.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well there's lots of Oxides over there, it's what give the red planet it's lovely red glow.
The other key ingredient to fuel in space is Hydrogen. If we can find a stable and abundant source over there then there's no reason why it can't be conquered. As for power, Nuclear will be a definite need for a colony as you want to be able to power many different industrial processes in order to make the base as self-sufficient as possible. Solar may be good enough for a rover, it isn't good enough for a colony. Same with wind due to the fact that air pressure over there is 1/10th that of earth, so if even a big storm came, it's intensity would feel like a gentle breeze by comparison to a hurricane on earth. All that dust isn't that dangerous as well as since the air pressure is so low, it can only pick up dust and very rarely a small pebble. To make it completely self-sufficient, we also need an automated Moon factory making all the goods required by the Mars colony. This will be done to reduce launch costs.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Solar energy is obviously very abundant over there, and so is wind. But our current technology in efficient solar cells is a bit lacking. I doubt we could support a city the size of, say Nashville, with that kind of energy conversion.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
quite a statement there iori. Couldnt have said it better myself... or maybe I did! lol

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ok, that's weird, I did say something in response there, I wonder why it
did'nt come out..

Anyways, what I had said was that solar energy is very viable, both here
and on Mars, in fact an area roughly equal to 10% the size of the state of
Nevada comprised of solar cells could power the entirety of the United
States.

[edit on 3/18/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Mars is not a good spot for geothermal energy sources. Unlike Earth, it does not have an active crust as far as we know.

Natural gas is produced much like petroleum, and without a major previous biomass there is little hope for finding any oil nor natural gas. There is trace Methane on Mars, but probably not enough to tap and burn easily.
As mentioned previously, the atmosphere is too thin for a good wind farm project to produce much.

There is tons of water ice on Mars that could be cracked into Hydrogen and Oxygen, but that takes quite a bit of energy to make.

Solar is a good prospect and with the thinner atmosphere, less would be filtered out.

Nuclear is the obvious starter energy source until other methods can get going.

The perfect energy source, would be to simply start up one of the Martian systems all ready in place that was left by the previous inhabitants.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
IF Nuclear was used as a startup fuel, then nothing more will be needed, except perhaps additinal nuclear plants as needed. If we get Fusion figured out, then use that!

Powering the colony will be the easy part. Setting up an artificial biosphere that will support the colony indefinitely is a whole nuther matter.

top topics

join