It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is the most deranged author ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My vote goes to Carlton Mellick III. I just got done reading Electric Jesus Corpse and this guy is truely original. Here is the plot as per amazon.com:

"The twisted and surreal version of the story of Jesus Christ set in a bizarre version of modern day Earth that has been ravaged by war and cannibal zombie plagues, where the landscape is slowly mutating into meat and human flesh is transforming into machine. The novel follows Christ's twelve apostles. However, in this world the apostles are pimps, necrophiliacs, skinheads, and other assorted freaks. And they have no desire to follow Jesus Christ on his crusade to save humanity whatsoever. So this novel follows the lives of these never-been apostles on their separate epic journeys into the bizarre. An awkward and chaotic work of art that is like nothing you've ever seen."

It has some really brilliant ideas like the author jumping into different characters bodies and possessing them in strange ways and the chapter where one of the characters has a 'day off' from the novel as if he was an actor in a movie is quite clever. I have not read any of his other books yet but am getting all of them for Christmas. What Dali did for art, Mellick did for literature.

Anyone else read any authors that obviously have issues?

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Lovecraft....H.P. Lovecraft....definitely a Dali of the Literary world...

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Jonna

I never heard of the author you mentionned, but his Electric Jesus book looks really interesting. I like twisted and original litterature.

Agree that Lovecraft is probably one of the more deranged or disturbed author ever.

I also think King, Dean Koontz and Dan Simmons can also have some very strange ideas, sometimes...

Especialy Simmons, in the book Hyperion (one of my favorite sci-fi book BTW)

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
What about Clive Barker

Now that bloke has a strange mind

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
William S. Burroughs. He was insanely genius.
Some of his books were truly the product of a deranged mind.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Burroughs was up there.

I rate Nikolai Gogol.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
any thoughts on Isaac Asimov, Anne Rice, Orwell

they are on my top 20 list

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Anne Rice is my favourite author. I've just started reading memnoch the devil again.

has anyone read the riverworld series by philip jose-farmer. They are excellent.

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by pantha]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Anne Rice is my favorite too. I am actually rereading the Blood Canticle right now. Memnoch the Devil is an excellent book

thinking back on this, don't believe Anne Rice would be considered deranged by these guys....given she is brilliant but not quite deranged

and come on Orwell is deranged for coming up with talking animals on a farm with political issues.

[Edited on 1-22-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Defenitly.....edger allen poe

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I love Anne Rice too, read all of the vampires chronicle,from lestat to armand, passing by akasha and pandora... Loved them all, really a GREAT read.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I love Anne Rice too, read all of the vampires chronicle,from lestat to armand, passing by akasha and pandora... Loved them all, really a GREAT read.

Yeah, I just started reading her books slightly before christmas. Im on Queen of the Damned now, they seem to be pretty damn good so far. Im hoping they stay as good, and hopefully get better.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Clive Barker by far takes the cake.

He's

Deranged
Mad
Sadistic
Gory
Bizarre

Think about those Hellraiser movies! All those strange creatures and monsters that pop out of his mind.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
Clive Barker by far takes the cake.

I would have to disagree. Ever since he came out of the closet he has really lost his silent bitterness and, at least for me, that is what helped him seem really edgy.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It's got to be H.P. Lovecraft in my opinion.

I'm sure many people would think the same thing of Chuck Palahniuk, but I think he's in the more "very clever" category than deranged.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
You should read Marquis de Sade. His work inspired the name of Sadism. You might have some trouble finding books like The 120 Days of Sodom or Justine in public libraries, but you can always try to get the movie Sal� o le 120 giornate di Sodoma by Pasolini. Really not recommended for those easily offended or below the age of 18.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Lovecraft makes Barker, Poe, etc. look sane, hehe... If you disagree, pick up just a copy of his short stories... He was definitely a donut short of a dozen....

Not to mention, his created mythology is often referenced by other authors repeatedly, i.e. the originator of Cthulu, the Necronomicon, etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It has to be by far Theyseeall! But really Clive Barker.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
It's got to be H.P. Lovecraft in my opinion.

I'm sure many people would think the same thing of Chuck Palahniuk, but I think he's in the more "very clever" category than deranged.

hehe, are you sure about that, Nada? That story 'guts' could be taken as deranged! lol

Lovecraft is an incredible author.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'd have to say Poe is deffinetly right up there on my top 5. Also on that list, though, would be King, Barker, Koontz, and, can't think of the authors name, but the guy who wrote "Catcher in the Rye."

regs out...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join