It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Machrihanish...worth a visit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hi all,

I'm going to be working about an hour's drive from Campbeltown in the West of Scotland this week, and wondered if it would be worth driving down one evening for a looksee. Anyone know if there's anything to see, or has it been more or less abandoned? What's everyone's thoughts on whether there's a link to the Aurora project or not? Any base security to look out for?

Any info appreciated.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If I were up there I'd definitely go and have a butchers! If not for anything else go for the scenery and the drive!

MOD (not RAF anymore) Machrihanish is now on 'care and maintanence' with the MOD allowing civilian use of the airfield. The airport 'terminal' builing is at the opposite end of the runway to the MOD area but the Gaydon hangar is visible from the road! The MOD still use the facility from time to time for exercises, you never know you might get lucky! If you are in the area it's worth a look! Make sure you take lots of photos and post them here!!!

Cheers

Rob

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hi,

Following my last post I thought I'd do some further digging on Mac to find out what's happening up there recently. I found some cracking shots, one of which I believe is the inside of the Gaydon hangar! They are extracted from the Air Force Special Ops command site.

Click on the 3rd image down in the left hand column! Click on the following images, you'll notice they all talk about the 2005 352nd Special Operation Group's Operational Readiness Inspection. In the 4th image down in the right hand column it tells us it was held at RAF mac! It's pretty clear that the building in the first photo must be the Gaydon hanger as it's the only building large enough at Mac. Unfortunately I can't see aurora in the background!

352nd Special Operation Group's Operational Readiness Inspection

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Rob

[edit on 6-3-2007 by stratsys-sws]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Cheers for the info Rob!

I'm off to the area tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll get a chance to go down on Thursday. However, the weather forecast is rank and I'm not sure I'll be able to get down there during daylight. I'll be taking the camera anyway, and I'll definitely be grilling the locals for info!

Don't know if I'll get any work done, I'll be too busy scanning the sky for doughnut contrails

new topics

top topics

join