It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking ban....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I was just wondering on everyone’s views on smoking. I personally don't smoke myself but I think it's ridiculous.

I personally am fed up of the government trying to nanny us all into stopping everything that is bad for us. They place all their time and money into stopping us doing stuff like smoking when they should be using it on our prison systems, and schools.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't mind the idea at all - if people want to smoke, fine, but I don't want them to kill me as well as them

I might be a bit biased, though - I hate the smell and cough a lot around smokers.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ste... I agree with you 100%!! I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke and I cannot stand the smell. It's a nasty habit that only smokers enjoy. You can't smoke crack out in the open, that's harmful to the smoker and anyone around, so why can you smoke cigarettes out in the open without any regard to those around you?

It's about being polite, not about law.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i'm looking forward to it..

i'm sick of sitting in the pub choking on smoke and in 9 days my workplace goes all no-smoking aswell which is going to annoy lots of people.

bwhahahahahahaha

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Can not happen fast enough. I hate going out for a drink in a pub and coming home stinking of smoke.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Can not happen fast enough. I hate going out for a drink in a pub and coming home stinking of smoke.

I think that the ban on smoking is a just and fair one. I know this is the U.K. Politics page, but living in Colorado this law was passed last July and it has been nothing short of phenomenal.

I used to hate going out to the bars and having to come home and wash everything I was wearing, due to my ashtray scent. But now, you cant smoke anywhere but the little area that has been reserved outside for all of the ostracized smokers.

Establishments thought that this would have a big impact on their sales, but it turned out that everyone liked going to the bar for drinks, not to smoke out all the non-smokers.

this law is picking up steam all across the U.S. and I believe it will pick up steam around the world as well.

Good on you, U.K.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It took too long.

The area I live in, almost every College student is forced to work in bars because they are the best money. They are also forced to inhale smoke so they can make a living and gain an education - it is not fair on them.

Nor should I be forced to inhale smoke because I want to go in a pub. There's not a pub in my town with a no-smoking policy. Not one. Now thanks to this I actually can go out and enjoy myself without stinking of smoke.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think it's great. I cannot believe I used to enjoy smoking! I do have sympathy for my brother who likes his rollies and spends a good deal of his life down the pub. He's very bitter and twisted about it.

As for signs of the "nanny state". Why?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

As for signs of the "nanny state". Why?

For one the smoking ban, I have never had a problem with smoking and non smoking areas so why change it now? Food, I agree that people need to be educated more on healthy foods, but it is their choice if they dont want to eat it.

I can see why people might agree with the smoking ban but the simple fact is, it is going to cost millions to impliment and police this ban, money that the government simply cannot afford! Not to mention the millions buinesses will lose out on. As I said before, they should be using the money to fix the prison system before anything else.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
It took too long.

The area I live in, almost every College student is forced to work in bars because they are the best money. They are also forced to inhale smoke so they can make a living and gain an education - it is not fair on them.

Ignoring the fact that Student's, at least by a cursory observation of the oiks that work behind bars, seem to all smoke anyway. They are not "forced" into working in bars, they just do it because they are lazy and can't be arsed to get a real job. Plenty of jobs out there that pay much better than bar work which student's can do.

Nor should I be forced to inhale smoke because I want to go in a pub. There's not a pub in my town with a no-smoking policy. Not one. Now thanks to this I actually can go out and enjoy myself without stinking of smoke.

Ok, I live in Reading. We have 1 no-smoking pub and have done for 2 years. It is nearly always empty, except in the summer when people don't mind the beer garden. If there was a demand for no smoking pubs, then there would be more. There is no demand and the Back of Beyond (the Weatherspoons pub in question) has seen it's sales drop off by more than 60%.

I notice they bring the ban in when the weather get's nice. People won't care much about it when it's nice and sunny. It's like the fact they changed our bin collections to once a fortnight instead of weekly in the winter, so we don't complain about the smell until they have been doing it for months. Council Tax still goes up though, even with a reduced service, go figure.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ignoring the fact that Student's, at least by a cursory observation of the oiks that work behind bars, seem to all smoke anyway. They are not "forced" into working in bars, they just do it because they are lazy and can't be arsed to get a real job. Plenty of jobs out there that pay much better than bar work which student's can do.

Really? They can?

Sorry but the only places open after 6 in this area are pubs and a single Supermarket. The Pubs and Clubs are filled with teenagers who are at College and due to this have to work after 6pm - they can not work and be in education at the same time, that is not possible. Physics and all.

Nice attack though on students.

I used to work in a bar when I was working towards my degree. I just assume I am lazy? Yes, doing over 60hrs a week of both education and work makes us all so very lazy.

So please? What else is open in my area? I do believe I know just a little better than you do.

You still have yet to answer why I as a non-smoker should be forced to inhale smoke to go to a Pub or a Club. Sorry, but I seriously doubt you'd be happy if I say down and threw asbestos in your face. "Oh yes, die a slow painful death so I can enjoy myself!"

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Really? They can?

Why, yes. I myself work a shift pattern that fit's nicely with any Uni course I may want to do.

And don't honestly tell me that students spend ALL day EVERY day in class.....

That's the best one I've heard all week....

Dude, I have worked and supervised temp's in an office environment that managed to do a full 37 hour week and fit in their mickey-mouse degree of choice that they all do these days.

Sorry but the only places open after 6 in this area are pubs and a single Supermarket. The Pubs and Clubs are filled with teenagers who are at College and due to this have to work after 6pm - they can not work and be in education at the same time, that is not possible. Physics and all.

No teenager should be able to work in a pub or club. It's against the law for an U-18 to serve alcohol unless supervised at all times. So I don't believe that college kids would be working in a pub. Apart from that, there are plenty of places where one can work past 1800hrs (if you believe the previous notion of students spending the whole day in class). Even so, the Student's I see nowaday's in town seem to get on fine and I don't believe for a second that the many thousands that attend Reading Uni ALL work in pubs. After all, there are not that many pubs. They must all work somewhere else.

Nice attack though on students.

I was one once myself and have mate's who still are. Lazy bunch of stuck up whinger's, if you ask me. even when they do work in pubs, they are slow and unresponsive

I used to work in a bar when I was working towards my degree. I just assume I am lazy? Yes, doing over 60hrs a week of both education and work makes us all so very lazy.

You may well be a unique case where you spent every hour between 0900-1800 doing work for your degree. I rarely see any of that today. Sociology or History of Art degree's are not that demanding... Most student's I see about the place are on the right side of the bar propping it up, day in day out. Must be busy doing some work for their "Bar" exam...

So please? What else is open in my area? I do believe I know just a little better than you do.

tell me where you live and I shall have a better idea. I find it hard to believe that the only option for student's to work is in a pub. Especially seeing as therer are infinitely more student's than bar jobs, plus they don't work all day anyway.

You still have yet to answer why I as a non-smoker should be forced to inhale smoke to go to a Pub or a Club. Sorry, but I seriously doubt you'd be happy if I say down and threw asbestos in your face. "Oh yes, die a slow painful death so I can enjoy myself!"

It's a bit different, mate. Asbesto's..
whatever.

Besides, I am a consciencous smoker. I never smoke in restuarants for starter's.

I personally believe there should be a choice. Why should I be forced to submit to your anti-smoking fascits way's? Huh? why not go back to the good old days of a "Bar" and a "Lounge". Smoke in the Lounge, don't smoke in the bar. Easy.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FudgeStix
I was just wondering on everyone’s views on smoking. I personally don't smoke myself but I think it's ridiculous.

I personally am fed up of the government trying to nanny us all into stopping everything that is bad for us. They place all their time and money into stopping us doing stuff like smoking when they should be using it on our prison systems, and schools.

Regarding the smoking ban I recall when it was implemented in Ireland. They have a complete smoking ban now in all indoor workplaces, including bars and restaurents. There was a huge issue being made of it. The smokers were complaining most of all.

But the results of the smoking ban were quite surprising. Now most smokers think the smoking ban is a good thing and they wouldn't want it lifted. The environments in pubs and restaurants is alot better. Nobody really noticed it until after the ban came in, but the bars smell ALOT fresher now. Almost every bar now has a smoking area outside with night-heaters and canopy and it worked out pretty good.
To go into a smoky bar now is very unpleasant after being in the smoke-free bars.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
Almost every bar now has a smoking area outside with night-heaters and canopy and it worked out pretty good.
To go into a smoky bar now is very unpleasant after being in the smoke-free bars.

If they do that, i will be happy. I do not wish to "force" my smoke upon anyone else, but why in return should I be forced out into the cold? Provide me with a covering and a heater and i will happily go outside and smoke. I know people don't like it, but I do, especially with a pint, so give me somewhere to go and I will.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I find it ironic that all the non-smokers on this thread are happy that they can now get totally soused in a healthy environment. Things are looking up for the health conscious. *sarcasm*

I am very allergic to many perfumes and colognes and they stink up a place every bit as much as cigarette smoke. Maybe I could get a petition going to ban the wearing of scented chemicals in public as it is a health hazard to me and many others (as well as the wearers of those chemicals).

Come to think of it, sunbathing is hazardous to one's health and should probably also be banned.

How many people die every year in automobile accidents? Very dangerous (especially all you avid imbibers).

In 26 years of ICU nursing, I've taken care of a lot of 90 year old wheezers who may be dying of emphysema or lung cancer but at 90, something's gonna get ya. In all those years I have NEVER seen a morbidly obese person make it into their 90's. In fact, our government must know which group is costing more because there is now a tax incentive for fat people to lose weight but no corresponding tax incentive for people to quit smoking.

Final point: The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is a single agency that encompasses all 3 of the above mentioned divisions. They all tend to stick together and support each other. The single largest financial contributors to the firearms lobby are the tobacco corporations. I believe that the militant attitude toward smokers and smoking is an attempt to find a back door to gun control. If you can't hit the gun owners directly, hit their pocket book. If tobacco companies go down the toilet because of the no-smoking legislation then they have no money to hire lobbyists to fight for your gun rights. Just a thought, people. The issue we see is not always all there is to the issue.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
I am very allergic to many perfumes and colognes and they stink up a place every bit as much as cigarette smoke.
Come to think of it, sunbathing is hazardous to one's health and should probably also be banned.

Same here, I have to leave the room if people come in with strong perfume it makes me feel physically sick, and my mother has a respiratory reaction to perfume yet she can smoke just fine!

And I agree, they should ban tanning salons! How many people are getting cancer a year because of excessive use of those damn UV beds? I don't see the government even placing an age restriction on them.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
i cnat wait for the ban on smoking im fed up imhaling their smoke if they want to die then fine but i dont thats why i never took up the habbit.
cant wait counting the days till the ban

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I once heard someone comparing the smoking ban to prohibition in America, the government banning a habit which may be harmful but many people enjoy. This example is obviously completely flawed since smoking harms the unwilling people around you whereas drinking doesnt. Thats why the government is implementing this ban, to protect people who have to put up with their lives being put at risk.

And dont even mention no smoking areas in pubs etc. Its like having a NO URINATING area in a swimming pool!. It still affects everyone! Plus there is plenty of demand for non-smoking pubs where I live, public opinion has swayed and the majority of people are sick of smokers.

To the poster who mentioned the cost of policing the ban, the government is going to save millions and millions of pounds spent every year on treating smoking related illnesses.

Finally stumason, trying not to go off topic too much but your opinions on students are groundless and inappropriate. You might also want to know that on average university graduates earn about 30% more than non-graduates and pay a proportionately larger sum in taxes, therefore they pay for more of the public services you use, not to mention the enormous changes implemented after largely studen political groups pressure the government. Students are a valuable part of the present and future.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
To the poster who mentioned the cost of policing the ban, the government is going to save millions and millions of pounds spent every year on treating smoking related illnesses.

Well think of all the money they'll lose in tax if people stop smoking

The Treasury earned £8,103 million in revenue from tobacco duties in the financial year 2004-2005 (excluding VAT). [15] The UK has the highest tobacco taxes in the European Union. The price of a pack of 20 premium brand cigarettes currently costs around £5.10, of which £4.08 (80%) is tax.

And as I said before it's going to cost millions to impliment this ban - so are they not simply shooting themselves in the foot?

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
stupid idea. Not so much the ban in pubs but the lack of an opt out policy. You can't run a private club that allows smoking. i.e. if I decide to hire a hall to throw a party for my mates I can't allow smoking even if no one minds. It's the death of the smokey jazz club. I doubt non smokers are suddenly going to take an interest in jazz now they can listen to it in a smoke free environ.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join