It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Defence Spending To Increase By 17.8 Percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

China's Defence Spending To Increase By 17.8 Percent

Source Link: ca.today.reuters.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's will boost defense spending by 17.8 percent in 2007, accelerating the emerging power's string of annual double-digit rises in money for a modern military that reflects its economic strength.

Jiang Enzhu, spokesman for the National People's Congress, said on Sunday that the planned budget for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) this year was 350.92 billion yuan, or about $44.94 billion, an increase of 52.99 billion yuan on 2006.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China's Geo political strategy

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I doubt the Chinese government makes the true amount of money they spend on defence related matters public. Currently Chinas ever increasing political clout is going unchecked along with Russia a second Cold War is on offering.
And that is without even dealing with India.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
well ok, if there is another cold war coming hopefully it will stay a cold war like the last one did.
If there is another cold war on the way who do you think the cold war will be between?

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
If there is another cold war on the way who do you think the cold war will be between?

I would say that the main players will China , Russia , India ,and the US. Russia and China will grow politically closer via trade links. India may walk a tight rope between both sides. Japan and Australia will side with the US but beyond that much will depend on how good the US is at maintaining and maybe creating new allies.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thanks xpert,
and yes creating new allies is always an important thing to do. However most people around hear seem to think that the current administration is very bad at doing that. So from that point it does not look good for the U.S.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The good news is that in terms of time the current admin is approaching the end of the road. The changeling's(SP?) the US and the world faces in the first part 21st century Terroism, Climate Change and another type of economic war are now known to us. We are past the 1990s and asking what lies ahead of us now we need real leadership to rise to the occasion.

[edit on 4-3-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Yes I do agree with all you said. But it does create questions. To me real leadership means new ideas and changes that the public will support. As that relates to the administration it means a change in foreign policy. As it relates to china it means changing where products are imported from. I don't really see that happening.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
In general terms It dosnt really matter where a product is assembled what counts is who came up with the idea and the company that implement it. America and other countries have to continue the process of changing the focus from production lines to future inventions and processes. A good example is the internet.

My only concern is if China stops manufacturing shoes and they switch to bullets its not beyond there means. IF there is a war between the US and China there will be massive shortages and rationing would be brought back in many countries that aren't even involved with the conflict.

top topics

join