It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar Eclipse last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hi,

This is my first post (and it may be in the wrong place) but anyway, moving on.

Does anyone find anything disturbing with the fact that that last nights lunar eclipse made the moon go blood red?

Maybe im just unfamiliar with lunar eclipses but it just feels very eerie and unsettling.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well I saw it through a powerful telescope and it didn't look that red to me. It was red yes, but a silvery red that I'd never seen before! That's not the shade of red I saw!

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
A blood moon is supposed to be one of the signs of end times I believe, at least biblically.
Revelation 6:12 - I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
The amount of pollutants in the air would greatly affect the colouring - the above passage was thought to refer to pollutants from a volcanic eruption causing the moon to appear red during an eclipse.

I am in Eastern Australia, so I never saw it, but the pics I have seen online are all awesomely red. Apparently we will see a total lunar eclipse here on August 28th.
Nasa Eclipses Site

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Red is a common colour for the moon to appear during a lunar eclipse. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy for me to see it last night, however, I remember seeing one a few years back, 2003 maybe, and the moon did indeed appear, a deep shade of red.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The moon always goes "blood red" during lunar eclipses, and every single time there is a one expected, the news is always talking about how the bible says that it marks the end of the world.

In that case, the world should have ended a few hundred times by now, because it's not all that uncommon of an occurance.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The moon goes red because the only light reaching the moon from our sun has to pass through much more of our atmosphere than usual and therefore other colours are caught up. The main light on the visible light spectrum which passes through the atmosphere is red you see which is why the moon appeared red.

This also explains why the moon sometimes appers red when its low in the sky and why the sun is red when it is setting.

Theres the science. I think it looks cool I'm in england and the moon didn't apper that red just like a reddy brown.

Alan.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
To clarify my earlier post;
I included the bible reference not because I think that the world is going to end any time soon but because the OP said that the event was "eerie and unsettling". Whether you believe in prophecy or not, those references usually become seated into our subconsciousness when we are raised in Christian environments.
Not everyone who mentions biblical prophecy is a bible thumper/ flat earther/ 'the end is nigh' type of person.
As to the colour -- I have never personally witnessed a lunar eclipse as red as the one pictured, round here a lunar eclipse is more like a muddy orange.
Whilst the amount of atmosphere and the position of the moon are often responsible for the colouring, so are air borne pollutants.
After a volcanic eruption the moon and sun often appear quite different. I was trying to explain why the eclipse may have appeared to be more red according to the viewers location.
Then again it could simply be because of the camera settings, lack of light during exposure or some other photographic error.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
interesting that patrick moore, said that the colours on this one seemed strange to him, and he must of seen quite a few over the years. he is a famous english astromoner.

he was saying that the colours looked weird to him for some reason, and the sky in london and surrounding areas was perfect for the eclipse.

for me just looking with my eyes, it looked a dull redish pinkish colour, with some grey.

[edit on 3/4/2007 by andy1033]

new topics

top topics

join