It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Colossus of Rhodes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
is it me or does the statue of liberty look like the colossus at Rhodes, they have the same hair the same tourch the same crown, was the statue destroyed or simply moved. or the french found bits of it and decided to stick it on a satatue?

any comments?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I completely understand how you are connecting the dots, but the major difference i would believe is that the crown and the flame would of had very different meaning in the days of the Anceint greeks, than it does in modern day.

In ancient greece the concept of individual freedom etc wasnt even thought of, to be honest i dont know what they do represent in anceint greece.

Im pretty sure the colossus was taking down by a earth quake, since it was made of a single piece of bronze it easily broke apart in the earthquake.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
There is no doubt in my mind that the Colossus of Rhodes may have inspired Frederic Auguste Bartholdi in the design of the Statue of Liverty but all the copper from the origional Colossus was smelted down after it's collapse by an earthquake in 224 BC. I doubt that any of the origional pieces remein.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonicX007
they have the same hair the same tourch the same crown

Besides what the above peeps said, the image is most likely influenced by current colossi (ie statue of liberty). So its not correct to compare it to anything but the real deal... Which is obviously impossible.

Oh and it didnt stand like that either

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
That's a CONCEPTUAL drawing of the Colossus.

They haven't actually found the statue.

So if it looks like the Statue of Liberty, it's because the artist was borrowing elements from Lady Liberty in the drawing they made.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The statue of liberty actually has a poem enscribed in its pedestal, which is called "The New Collosus":

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
That's a CONCEPTUAL drawing of the Colossus.

They haven't actually found the statue.

So if it looks like the Statue of Liberty, it's because the artist was borrowing elements from Lady Liberty in the drawing they made.

hmmm
this picture was published in 1613

Lady Liberty was designed in 1850

which borrows from which again Byrd ?
anyway both stand at a harbour entrance
both carried torches
the statue of Liberty clearly was based on ideas from the Colossus of Rhodes if not on pictures of it

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
But they are clearly not similar at all in that picture. The colossus doesnt seem to be holding up the torch: its holding it out forward (and looks bored doing it). He even carry a bow I think.

I dont see the statue of liberty carrying a machinegun. It would be pretty cool if she did though.

new topics

top topics

join