It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite commandos refuse duty in West Bank, Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
www.thestar.com.../Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1072048207852&call_pageid=968332188854&co l=968350060724

"JERUSALEM�About a dozen reservists from the Israeli army's top commando unit declared yesterday they would no longer serve in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, reflecting growing unease with Israel's iron-fisted policy in the Palestinian areas.

Thirteen reservists, including three officers, from Sayeret Matkal made their declaration in a letter to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

"We cannot continue to stand silent," they wrote, alleging that Israeli military activities in the West Bank and Gaza Strip are depriving "millions of Palestinians of human rights" and endangering "the fate of Israel as a democratic, Zionist and Jewish country"

When your top commandos are refusing to take part, that should be a big wake-up call.

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by quintar]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Pretty telling, huh? I cannot imagine having stepped out against my leadership like that when I served. But then again, I didn't face the brutality that I've heard goes on in Gaza and the West Bank.

I always argued with myself whether or not I could, in good conscience, salute Klinton if it ever came to that. Thank God I got out right before he took office.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wonder how many of these loyal soldiers who put their lives on the line all this time until now will be branded 'traitors' and put in military jails. The army trains you many skills, but skips on the 'think for youself' skill.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't think that't true. Having been in the Marine Corps, the most "brainwashing" of the services, I can say that almost all of the fellow infantry men that I served with had as diverse stances on issues as the American people.

You can't train individuality out of people.

I applaud these soldiers in Isreal for speaking out.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by quintar
I wonder how many of these loyal soldiers who put their lives on the line all this time until now will be branded 'traitors' and put in military jails. The army trains you many skills, but skips on the 'think for youself' skill.

It's a difficult thing to square. That's why they like young people. Kids who have yet to form their own solid opinions/views. They're easy to brainwash. The sad thing is, with war, it has to be that way. For the soldiers' own good. (It more often than not keeps them alive in the field. You've heard the saying? Thinking will get you killed...)

That's not to say a soldier should not have a conscience. There are provisions for disobeying unlawful orders. It takes a brave soul, though, to challenge the leadership. You risk your very a$$.

I'm sure Sharon has something special planned for them. And I wouldn't wanna be them. I do admire them, though, for speaking out. It's courageous.

new topics

top topics

join