It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese military develops over-the-horizon anti-ship cruise missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Impressive. Once again China proves it's technological finesse........or could this be somehow related to the missile tech that chinese spies stole from the US sometime ago??

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It's quite alright, the US has placed significant importance on the protection of its ships...any navy men here?

They'd probably know more about it, and I'm just going off the fly with information I picked up when I was younger but what was it called, BPMDS?

Basic Point Missle Defense System.

Such as the Phalanx galin guns which shoot down incoming missles and I think they might have been testing a small ranged rocket to intercept and knock out incoming artillery rounds?

Oh well, either way the future is space, why does the media insist on guiding us other wise? China plans to orbit a man in 2005 and then go to the moon, so we better get on the ball.

I'm proud to be a citizen of the only nation to have gone to the moon, if that changes, I'll be majorly pissed

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 08:53 PM
link   
thats if you belive we actually went to the moon.

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 08:55 PM
link   
ive also read that China has in developement a missle that could be fired like a cruise missle and break into like 50 differnt mini cruse missles and take out alot of our ships. were i read it one of these could take out and entire carrier group.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Again, assuming the Phalanx systems didn't take them out, but if you had multiple incoming missiles at supersonic speed, it gets a little hard for the Phalanx to hit all of them.

Keep in mind that the Chinese wouldn't have to sink ships to take Taiwan. If you damage a ship severely enough, it might as well be sunk.

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Much more likely to be a sea test of a missile destined for land use (Cruise/Tomahawk idea) - just the right range to scare the Indians who are rapidly becoming the supreme military power in the region: or even for domestic use against the eastern non-Chinese provinces.
The Chinese do not fight sea-battles if they can help it.

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Let's face it, any technology China has, the US and Russia most probably have had for the last 20 years. The Russians had the AS-4 ' Kitchen' and the AS-6 'Kingfisher' back in the 70's. These missiles flew at mach 3+, had ranges of up to 700km ( depending on launch parameters ) and carries a 1000kg warhead.
So these threats are not new to the US navy.

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
ive also read that China has in developement a missle that could be fired like a cruise missle and break into like 50 differnt mini cruse missles and take out alot of our ships. were i read it one of these could take out and entire carrier group.

I don't know where you heard that Quicksilver, but I think it is well beyond the capabilities of the Chinese. The carrier missile would have to be huge to accomodate 50 smaller self powered missiles. And even then the warheads they would carry would would be too small to cause any siginificant damage. You could argue maybe they would be armed with mini nukes, but then 1 or 2 nuclear tipped missiles would do the job anyway.
If you have a link to that article, I wouldn't mind reading it.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Just a few personal anecdotes when I was in the US Navy. Back in 1990, I was on board a supply ship that participated the RIMPAC exercises around the area of Hawaiian Isles; The participating ships split up into various teams to engage in mock battles. Ships from various navies were there too, including Canadian, Japanese & German.

The Princeton used the Ageis Weapons System at that time (What they have now, I don't know), which was capable of targeting & engaging up to 250 different targets at once. At one point during the exercises, the Princeton cruised silently into an ongoing "battle" between 2 of the teams (Princeton was a member of a third team). Once they were in a good position, they lit up the Ageis & took out over 20 targets by surprise (almost *all* of the other two teams) before it was located & "sunk" by one of the two US submarines in those other teams.

I got the chance to see the Missouri (last of the US's older wooden-decked battleships) test-firing its 16" deck guns (This is a measurement based upon the bore of the guns)...They lobbed artillery shells (That weighed about the same as VW Beetles) over the horizon. Even with binoculars on the upper deck of my ship, I couldn't actually see the point where those shells were hitting the water...Only the "plume" that they kicked up when they did hit.

Even back more than a decade ago, the US military had the capability of firing multi-warhead missles over the horizon (Remember the Tomahawk Missles?)...And you're saying that the Chinese are only getting that far with their weapons-tech NOW?

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 09:23 AM
link   
although it's 25 years old (but frequently upgraded, of course) I believe AEGIS is still going strong, Midnight -used by Japanese and Spanish as well.
Incidentally, the Princeton was the first ship to have a massively upgraded radar system that enhanced AEGIS significantly .

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ok, enough about the past. Just a little piece of info on CURRENT tech:

The new 42.7 billion dollar AEGIS AN/SPY-1D(V) radar system that is due to be installed on several US missile frigates and Ticonderoga class cruisers in the spring is capable of over-horizon target acquisition. What this means folks is that even if the chinese were to launch missiles from over the horizon, the new AEGIS system should be able to detect them way before they're even a threat. Once detected, the newly developed ESSM (Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles) should be capable of engaging these over-horizon threats.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The Multi-Function Radar is an X-band active phased array radar designed to meet all horizon search and fire control requirements for the 21st-century fleet. MFR is designed to detect the most advanced low-observable anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) threats and support fire-control illumination requirements for the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Standard Missile, and future missiles required to support engagement of the most stressing ASCMs. MFR also supports new ship design requirement for reduced radar cross-section, reduced manning and total ownership cost reduction. MFR is planned for introduction in CVN-77/CVNX and DD-21 warships.

Currently undergoing concept development and risk reduction with final selection of a developer/manufacturer in late FY 1999. Development, testing, and subsequent production will support equipment delivery schedules for both CVN-77 and DD-21. Initial Operational Capability is expected in 2008 with the delivery of DD-21.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 06:27 PM
link   
yeah, but but I understand that there are some complications (both technical as well as political) with X-band communication tech. Namely that the EU wants to use that exact same frequency band for their version of GPS. X-band is gonna have to undergo some changes before it can actually be used.

top topics

join