It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's Kim firmly in power, says South Korea's spy chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   

North Korea's Kim firmly in power, says South Korea's spy chief

Source Link: www.abs-cbnnews.com

SEOUL - North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il remains firmly in control of the communist state despite economic woes and an influx of foreign culture, South Korea's intelligence chief said Monday.

Kim "is maintaining strong control of the regime overall, as seen in the fact that his grip on power is firm and there are no factions within the ruling class," Kim Man-Bok, head of the National Intelligence Service, was quoted by his agency officials as saying.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Of course the North Koreans are going to say that. We need a report from our spies not theirs. Sooner or later people are gonna get sick of how ol' kim is running the country and there will definately be some factions forming. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It's not surprising. The North Koreans have been under the heavy hand of the Kims for so long, they're completely brainwashed.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Kim is still in power because he has been able blackmail the US government in the past. The time as well past to let the sick patient die. North Korea should be blockaded by air , land and sea. Political incentives need to be given to China and Russia in order to prevent them from giving any kind of aid to North Korea.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Kim is still in power because he has been able blackmail the US government in the past. The time as well past to let the sick patient die. North Korea should be blockaded by air , land and sea. Political incentives need to be given to China and Russia in order to prevent them from giving any kind of aid to North Korea.

I agree that we need to get "crazy ol' Kim" off his high horse. I don't know if blockades would do it though. It's very clear that Kim doesn't really give a damn about his people, look at the conditions they live in whole the ragime lives comfortably. Kim's either gonna have to be taken out by force, or we'll just end up waiting for him to die, the North Koreans to revolt, or have an accident with their nuclear program.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
ShAuNmAn-X if all aid is cut off the North Korean military will starve along with the civilian population . Once the North Korean military is starved and there is no economic aid Kims regime will collapse.(SP? )

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I agree, but I think that would just cause Kim to lash out and start nuking his neighbors. You can never tell with psychopaths like that. I see your point and it could lead to a revolt if orchestrated correctly.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
I agree, but I think that would just cause Kim to lash out and start nuking his neighbors. You can never tell with psychopaths like that. I see your point and it could lead to a revolt if orchestrated correctly.

If the US and its allies continues to do nothing or be blackmailed Kim will use his nukes against his neighbours or the US. Now if a blockade is imposed measures could be taken to deal with a possible North Korean attack.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
True. I just hope this whole thing with them or Iran doesn't end up going nuclear. It's like living in the Cold War all over again. I agree that not doing anything with NK is a bad thing. I wonder how much effort is being focused on NK with all the other crap going on. Whichever way it all goes it's still scary knowing theres a madman over there with his finger on the button and nothing is being done.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
EDIT: double post

[edit on 2/26/2007 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The US government is putting no where near enough effort into dealing with the North Korean regime. The reason that not enough effort is being put into dealing with North korea is that the Bush admin has let the events in Iraq overwhelm its members.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Agreed. Do you know what the UN is doing in regards to NK or are they concentrating all their effort on Iran these days? There should be more people involved in things of this nature just not the Bush administration. Any way we look at it the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and alot of changes need to be made. NK is one of em.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

AgDo you know what the UN is doing in regards to NK or are they concentrating all their effort on Iran these days?

Im not aware of any UN activity beyond the measures approved by the security council last year.

There should be more people involved in things of this nature just not the Bush administration. Any way we look at it the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and alot of changes need to be made. NK is one of em.

I agree the New Zealand , Australian , Japan and other governments should be pushing for the blockade of North Korea. What better way can there be to spread freedom and liberate people by bringing down Kims regime.

The Bush admin has proven that it is only interested in a dumb war in Iraq and fighting the war in Afghanistan half heartedly despite appearances. A genuine chance to improve global security is passing us bye.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I agree. This is something that everyone needs to be on board with. I'm all for civilian nuclear power but n-weapons? NO ONE should be allowed to proliferate n-weapons, no one should even have them. The US included. It shocks me that people, especially NK's neighbors are letting this all happen.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I will the leave the US having Nuclear weapons for another topic and thread.
However I will say that nations such as Iran and North Korea shouldn't be allowed to posses any kind of Nuclear technology such governments are never true full about there intensions or responsible members of the international community. Giving North Korea a Nuclear reactor wasn't the brightest idea the Clinton admin ever came up with.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Of course the North Koreans are going to say that. We need a report from our spies not theirs.

The report was from South Korea, not North Korea.

Sooner or later people are gonna get sick of how ol' kim is running the country and there will definately be some factions forming. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

Well, as long as he is alive, probably not, alot of people actually consider
him and his deceased father as divine.

Add to that that any dissenters are killed in public executions.

top topics

join