It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slingshots -- Any Survival Merit?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
In general I believe that the rubber tubing in sling shots tend to rot out over time due to oxidation of the material. Rubber, and it's synthetic alternatives, are sensitive to oxidation breaking down the material. Oxygen atoms bond with the rubber making it dry and brittle. This is often exacerbated by exposure to ultraviolet light. If you are looking to long term storage, I suggest keeping them in a cool dark place and if possible pack them in a container that has been flushed with nitrogen. Room temperature nitrogen NOT liquid nitrogen. Nitrogen is inert and will not react with the rubber.

Slings, which are basically a leather strap, are very powerful but in my opinion are not well suited to hunting in many circumstances. They are OK in open areas but more difficult to use in wooded areas. They also take a great deal of practice for use on smaller targets.

Spears are great multipurpose tools and are perhaps the easiest to manufacture. Making a short spear along with an Atlatl (spear thrower) is a great choice. With the shorter spear and significantly increased impact from using a spear thrower, native Americans were able to hunt and kill very large game. They have also been used in warfare with great success.
Simple Atlatl construction

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
LOL 2pac, im telling ya. roll of cord, a knife and a book of matches (waterproof of course) and you can live a good long time

and terapin, thanks for that atlatl link. i had totally spaced it off. i mean, i know how to make one but that link was great. i hadnt thought about those in some time

saw a great documentary once on how prehistoric men used them to take down mastadons and mammoths as they gave the spear enough force to penetrate enough to be lethal. of course the film also documented how they had one shaft and many "pop off" points and once the piont sunk the rebound would throw the shaft back away from the target. it was really cool

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I have built and used fishing spears with "pop off" tips. They are quite effective on larger fish. There is a line attached to the tip and once it penetrates, the shaft lets go and you can reel in the fish.

<< 1   >>

join