It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Schools Looking At Extending Hours

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
but then you have a problem.
the people that do know what they want to do(based on what they know they can do), have a real problem.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by WINGxZERO]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
This is an attempt to remove all non-school influences from children's lives. So long as schools are government-controlled, this is utterly authoritarian. The end result is to remove any adult influence other than employees of the school.

Originally posted by crontab
The longer school day is an attempt to remove all potential influences outside of school. Like a cult, if the school system has full control of children's lives, schools can engage in whatever brainwashing program they wish.

I'll add into the mix that the brain washing is not to get the students to learn more. If the system really wantedd the students to be smarter, it would have already happened by now with some simple changes in the cirrculum. Such as changing from whole language back to phonics. Change from "new math" back to learning basic time tested algerothim forumlas instead of trying to "think through" the problem. An answer marked correctly ins't based on a correct answer, but how that student came to that answer. If the student needs help, the parents can't help them since they don't teach Johnny what the older generation knows as regular division any longer.

Also, couple this to the fact that almost every state in different points in the year try to lower the age requirements so the kids have to start at an earlier age, and raise the age requirements so the kids have to wait longer to graduate.

Then there is talk about lengenthing the entire school year. Hmmmm, think someone doesn't want parents in control of their children anylonger?

Add this fact that homeschoolers spend less time in a day teaching thier children at home, and they score better on standarized tests. Colleges are now starting to seek them out. There are proffessors saying that homeschoolers are more well rounded, better behaved, more studious, and make better adjustments to the social college life than their public schooled peers.

I agree with those who basically said the schools need to stop making the children trying to fit into "a one size fits all" mentality. Not everyone does well bright and early in the morning. Get me up early, and my whole day is thrown off. Not everyone does well in each subject. I do believe that the basic subjects need to be covered. I do symphasize with the teachers that have to have all of their students in one particular grade level.

Many homeschoolers find thier children developing in various subjects at different levels. According to the school system. The child would be doing 3rd grade math, 4th grade english and history, and 5th grade science. Another homeschool kid could be doing all 4th grade work, while doing 5th grade Math. Yet another who the school system would consider a 4th grader is doing mostly 3rd grade work with a coupld of subjects in 4th grade.

Who is to say who is wrong, or that any one of those children is actually behind, especially if the child is doing the work according to their ability?

Unfortunatly, a teacher can not throw out a cirrculum that isn't working for the students or the teacher. The lucky teachers are the ones that can and have the knowledge to either subliment or better yet make their own cirrculum letting the system think they are using the cirrculum that was bought by the school. The unfortunate ones are the ones that have to stick it out with a poorly designed cirrculum.

Homeschoolers can throw a troublesome cirrculum out the door inexchange for a different one. They are never stuck with a particular cirrculum like public school teachers are.

I don't fault the individual teachers for how the system is. I fault the colleges and universities that help brain wash the teachers themselves. Who then in turn can brain wash the students without the teacher even realizing what they are doing. I fault those lobby for negative changes in the system. I fault those who choose bad cirrculums on purpose to dumb the students down. I fault the NEA and teachers unions.

Ask yourselves this, who really controls the colleges, universities, the NEA, and teachers unions? What is their ultimate goal and agenda? What happened just prior to and during WWII in the school system in Germany?

Who ever has control of the children, has control of the future.

<< 1   >>

join