It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Ill Alleged Soda Thief Spends 17 Months in Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Mentally Ill Alleged Soda Thief Spends 17 Months in Jail

Source Link: www.foxnews.com

Officials are at a loss to explain how they allowed a homeless, mentally ill man accused of stealing a soda to languish in jail for 17 months.

Edward Perez's attorney, his court-appointed psychiatrist, the judge in his case and Lake County jail officials all apparently believed he had been released a year ago.

The mistake was not discovered until this month, after a new warden ordered a review of all inmates' files, Sheriff Roy Dominguez told the Post-Tribune of Merrillville for a story Friday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So, stealing a soda should have gotten him 5 months in jail, not 17?

Does that mean that the average lifespan of a human is only worth about 172 sodas??

Seriously, I think stealing a soda should get you probation and retribution and pay court costs, not jail time.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Apparently he preferred jail instead of being out homeless.

At least now it looks like he'll get some mental health treatment since the government is embarrassed by this, instead of just releasing him back onto the streets homeless again.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
There will come the day when 1 can of soda will

cost you your life. :shk:

Poor thirsty man- when you look at all the evil around you and then see a story like this. :shk:

Or maybe they should have chopped his hand off. That may be coming too.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
You know it is a fact that many homeles people commit crimes just so they can have thier three hot meals, clean clothes and a warm place to stay. No seriously, when I was in jail I met a homeless dude there that says he tries to get in a few times a year. Says alot of them do it just to enjoy a higher standard of living.

Rather odd...

top topics

join