It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridging the continents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Bridging the continents

Source Link: www.smh.com.au

Yemen is in talks with a Dubai-based company to build a 14-km (8.7 miles) bridge across the Red Sea to the Horn of Africa country of Djibouti, a Yemeni official said on Tuesday.

A UAE newspaper said the project, estimated to cost $1 billion, could be launched within two months, though it was not immediately clear when it would be completed.

"The company and the government are still in negotiations," a senior Yemeni government official told Reuters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
For 200 years or so technology has been shrinking the world in terms of travelling times and communication times. Now the physical barriers may be broken down so far I can only see this as a postive step. Maybe one day we will see a tunnel under the Atlantic Ocean....

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
that guy reuters sure talks to alot of people

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
For 200 years or so technology has been shrinking the world in terms of travelling times and communication times. Now the physical barriers may be broken down so far I can only see this as a postive step. Maybe one day we will see a tunnel under the Atlantic Ocean....

Can't find the ATS thread right now, but I saw one just recently where a member posted a picture of what he said was a nuclear powered tunnel boring machine that had U.S. Air Force markings on the side. The U.S. Air Force needs tunnel boring machines?

Anyway, the machine in the picture was in Denmark. So, maybe there is already a tunnel under the Atlantic.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
An actual tunnel under the Atlantic would not be possible, due to the fault lines.

However, I did see a Discovery programme on how to get round that.

basically, it was a "suspended tunnel". It was like an underwater bridge/tunnel hybrid..

Here be a link to a Discovery Flash animation

That would be very cool....

new topics

top topics

join