It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy of Daylight saving time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Daylight savings time is a strange thing.. Although personally it doesn’t bother me it seems many people do not like it at all. Not only that but why is it pushed by the government yet despised by many in the general public? And the justifications for daylight savings time are either weak with little effect in reality on saving electricity etc or shown by some evidence to be backwards and thus out right lies and manipulated statistics... But at the same time as far as I can reason I can’t see logical reasoning behind any benefit to the government for pushing such a thing????

Below I will post references for what I say...

Daylight Saving Time has always been a sore spot in Indiana For years, Indiana has been one of only three states that have not observed Daylight Saving Time, including Hawaii and most of Arizona YET Governor Mitch Daniels had it FORCED upon the people in Indiana in the 2004 election.

Daylight Saving Time did not become observed nationally again until World War II. The practice became permanent with the passing of the Uniform Time Act of 1966.

Daylight Saving Time is now observed by most of the modern world, though the actual date of falling back or springing forward varies from country to country. My question is, why do we still change our clocks? Some say it's for the farmers, though most farmers are opposed to it having to rise with the sun regardless what time the clock says it is. Others say it's to reduce heating costs in the winter, though the result is increased energy consumption in the summer to run our air conditioners.

And if all of this isn't enough confusion for you, how about reports that lawmakers in the House Energy and Commerce Committee in Washington are busily crafting legislation that would extend Daylight Saving Time by two months. If passed into law, the entire country would spring forward a month earlier and fall back a month later. I guess it's a little closer to never falling back again.

Bush changed Daylight savings time as you see in the link below, but this is not new as you see below other presidents have done the same thing.

usgovinfo.about.com...

Presidents Wilson, Roosevelt, Truman, Johnson, Nixon, and Reagan, as well as the State Governors of Indiana, Nevada, and Arizona also enacted either national or statewide changes in how daylight sayings time is observed.

National laws regarding DST were enacted, repealed, or modified in 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1942, 1945, 1966, 1972, 1986, and 2005.

[ex/]

Saving daylight was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a satirical essay urging Parisians to get up earlier in order to use sunlight

DST was first seriously proposed in 1907 by William Willett,[3] but he was unable to get the British government to adopt it, despite considerable lobbying.

DST was first put into practice by a national government in Germany during the First World War, between April 30, 1916 and October 1, 1916. Shortly afterward, the United Kingdom followed suit, first adopting it between May 21 and October 1, 1916. On June 17, 1917, Newfoundland became the first North American jurisdiction to adopt DST with the passing of the Daylight Saving Act of 1917. On March 19, 1918, the US Congress formally established several time zones, which had been in use by railroads and most cities since 1883; at the same time it established DST from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. The law, however, proved so unpopular, mostly because it obliged people to rise and go to bed earlier than had become customary since the advent of electricity, that it was repealed after 1919, when Congress overrode President Woodrow Wilson's veto of the repeal.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../opinion/2007/01/22/do2202.xml

Kingdom and Ireland experimented with year-round DST from 1968 to 1971 but abandoned it due to its unpopularity, particularly i

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
in the north. Spain, the Yukon and other areas both skew time zones and shift clocks, in effect observing double DST in summer.

Their is false claims that daylight savings time decreases traffic accidents when in fact pother evidence has shown to increase traffic accidence due to disturbing people sleep patterns.. Why would they lie like this and manipulate statistics to show something totally false.. why with their contradictory evidence to show governments justifications for daylight savings time is bogus? why dose their rational not match the facts

www.sciencedirect.com...

Fatal accidents following changes in daylight savings time: the American experience

Jason VarugheseCorresponding Author Contact Information, a and Richard P. Allenb
[ex/]

DST also has had many detractors—from farmers to parents of schoolchildren—who have waged contentious battles against it.

www.shoemakerhoard.com...

Spring Forward
The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time

To this day, no one can say for sure why we are required by law to change our clocks twice a year. Who first proposed the scheme?
Downing unravels the worldwide confusion occasioned by decades of clock manipulation. He sifts through a century of congressional hearings and contemporary newspaper reporting to offer a portrait of public policy in the twentieth century, a perennially boiling stew of unsubstantiated science, profiteering masked as piety, and mysteriously shifting time-zone boundaries. It is a true-to-life social comedy with Congress in the leading role, surrounded by a supporting cast of opportunistic ministers, movie moguls, stockbrokers, labor leaders, educators, sports fanatics, and farmers. This dizzyingly hilarious debate seems destined to continue for as long as we ask one another, “What time is it?”

[ex/]

Farmers and others whose hours are set by the sun are adversely affected by DST. For example, farmers may miss non-work evening activities due to scheduling conflicts. Many people alter their nominal work schedules (in effect ignoring DST) to coordinate with daylight,

DST is commonly not observed during winter, because it suffers more from darker mornings: workers may have no sunlit leisure time, and children may need to leave for school in the dark.

Critics argue that the energy savings of DST are overstated, and that DST can sometimes increase energy consumption and peak demand. A 2007 study by the University of California Energy Institute concluded that the Australian experiment with DST during the 2000 Olympics did not decrease overall electricity consumption, but did change usage patterns leading to a higher morning peak load.

DST makes it harder to read a sundial, since one must compensate for DST in addition to time zone and natural discrepancies.

Critics also suggest that DST is, at its heart, government paternalism. They "detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves."

Complications from DST shifts

DST's clock changes have the obvious disadvantage of complexity. People must remember to change their clocks, and to update software when DST rules change. Some computer systems may require downtime or restarting. People who work across time zone boundaries need to keep track of multiple DST rules. Not all locations observe DST. The length of the day becomes variable. Disruption to meetings, travel, or broadcasts is not uncommon when clocks or rules change.

Changing the clocks disrupts sleep patterns. This correlates with decreased economic efficiency. Researchers estimated in 2000 that the daylight saving effect implies a one day loss of $31 billion on the NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ alone. Sleep disruption also correlates with a significant increase in fatal accidents the Monday after a Sunday shift, with

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
the larger increase in autumn.

During an autumn transition from 02:00 to 01:00, the clock will read 01:30 twice, leading to confusion in birth certificates and the like.

These problems can be avoided by adopting Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), which is unaffected by DST. However, UTC is unsuitable for many applications due to its unfamiliarity.

www.reganfamily.ca...

2007 Time Zone Changes Will Impact Many Computers in Canada, the United States and Bermuda

[ex/]

throw off our sense of time twice a year.

And the energizer bunny to get us to buy more batteries twice a year (did you change your smoke detector battery?

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, FREEMASON. SHORT TALK BULLETIN - Vol. ... and that daylight saving time adds to leisure, and that wit and humor win more causes than ...
www.masonicworld.com/education/files/artoct02/benjamin_franklin.htm

6thingstoconsider.com...

[ex/]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Personally I like DST. The extra hour in the evening helps. I do live in a rural area and spend lots of time outside. I would think DST would save a bit of energy but not that much. I might be incorrect about though.

Not sure where a conspiracy comes in.

EDIT: My birthday has been on the day DST started 3 times. I have loss 3 hours of birthday. Still fine with DST.

[edit on 2/22/2007 by roadgravel]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
it is the attempt to remove us from a time pattern connected to nature and the sun...there is an article about this...didn't save it..damn

question...why would we want to break from a nature..sun..moon ect based time?...other than the fact that each has a pattern that changes over time...i'm not sure either.......of course, i beleive that it is not for our own good......

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
it is the attempt to remove us from a time pattern connected to nature and the sun...there is an article about this...didn't save it..damn

question...why would we want to break from a nature..sun..moon ect based time?...other than the fact that each has a pattern that changes over time...i'm not sure either.......of course, i beleive that it is not for our own good......

I agree. I think a natural pattern is conducive to healthier (mentally & physically) human beings and maybe that is why they do it, destabilization, I don't know.

I cannot understand the whole 'energy saving' thing, it makes no sense to me. How does altering the clock change the temperature so that you save on heating costs?

I only have to abide by the clock to take the kids to school, pick them up, and go to extra curricular activities...other than that I follow my own natural instincts, especially when it comes to sleep

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Healthier? LOL

Do daylight savings change the amount of daylight you have in the day?

The answer is no.

Daylight savings simply adjusts the time, it doesn't affect your biological mechanisms.

When you get a new job and you have to wake up at a different time do you worry about your health? I think not.

IMO daylight savings rocks. Always good to hang out with your mates and have a beer without the sun going down early. For me, daylight savings makes summer.

Conspiracy? Hardly. You're looking way too hard.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
IMO daylight savings rocks. Always good to hang out with your mates and have a beer without the sun going down early. For me, daylight savings makes summer.

Conspiracy? Hardly. You're looking way too hard.

Then why not just keep the clocks set so that even on the shortest day of the year the sun has not set after you get off work for those beers? Why move it around and for whose benefit?

There is no logical reason for it other than to give the masses something stupid and trivial to think about when there are more important things they don't want you to spend your time doing (like giving serious reflection on what the governments are actually doing).

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
ok but it is kinda like jetlag it throws off what your used to when it comes to time...and it seems they DO do it only when youre just getting used to the new time

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
At least ATS doesn't seem to have DST setting.

Is that good or bad?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
my self peter rose i wanna share my knowledge about that......................
Daylight saving time (DST)—also summer time in British English (see Terminology)—is the practice of temporarily advancing clocks during the summertime so that afternoons have more daylight and mornings have less. Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn.Modern DST was first proposed in 1895 by George Vernon Hudson.Many countries have used it since then; details vary by location and change occasionally.
Saving Bond Best Rates

edit on 8-11-2010 by peterrose679 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join