It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Computer Date Problem -- Next Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Another Computer Date Problem -- Next Month

Source Link: www.cnn.com

(AP) -- For three weeks this March and April, Microsoft Corp. warns that users of its calendar programs "should view any appointments ... as suspect until they communicate with all meeting invitees."

Wow, that's sort of jarring -- is something treacherous afoot?

Actually, it's a potential problem in any software that was programmed before a 2005 law decreed that daylight-saving time would start three weeks earlier and end one week later, beginning this year...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This seems like it will be more a nuisance than a real threat like Y2K. But this certainly has the potential to affect a lot of systems. Anything that hasn't been updated before 2005 will definitely not recognize the change in daylight saving time, and I bet a lot of things updated even afterwards won't either.

[edit on 2/20/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This seems like it will be more a nuisance than a real threat like Y2K. But this certainly has the potential to affect a lot of systems. Anything that hasn't been updated before 2005 will definitely not recognize the change in daylight saving time, and I bet a lot of things updated even afterwards won't either.

Actually the real danger of this is the severe lack of knowledge on the part of the public. Until now there has been no news on this in the main stream at all... I mean none... Zippo...

The Y2K issue may have been a bit of a white elephant for most, however this was mostly due to public education and preparations...

An awful lot of C programmers were brought out of retirement back in 1999, earning big £££ to rectify the millennium bugs in bespoke systems across the public and private domain, with the finance and military sectors getting top priority.

The daylight saving issue has for the most part been solved due to MS automatic updates that rectify this issue, something that could not occur back in 1999.

Check this...

Daylight Saving Time - The Year 2007 Problem

No need to panic.

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The real question raised by this story is why the government felt it necessary to extend DST by four weeks beginning this year. Could it have something to do with pole migration?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It deals with concerving energy. It's interesting on how the government denied global warming, but in their documentation it states that they wanted to begin Daylight Savings three weeks earlier due to conseriving energy to slow global warming. What a bunch of hipocrites

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

Actually the real danger of this is the severe lack of knowledge on the part of the public. Until now there has been no news on this in the main stream at all... I mean none... Zippo...

That's not true. It has been covered since before the bill was signed and only recently, I saw it covered on a news program.

It's the hoopla that's missing.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Neon Haze

That's not true. It has been covered since before the bill was signed and only recently, I saw it covered on a news program.

It's the hoopla that's missing.

I concede, poor choice of words on my part..

perhaps I should have said...

"Until very recently there has been little to no news on this in the main stream media”

I am willing to bet if you were to go out onto the street and ask Mr. Joe about the day light saving issue with time and their computer, they wouldn't have the foggiest idea about what you were talking about..

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

new topics

top topics

join