It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the story on diego garcia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
They talk about in this article about how the us govt had plans to make the permanent residents of this island only temporary. It also states the americans also have a Base there. What is so important that would warrant such actions for them to relocate the natives of this land? I am a new poster so forgive me if this comes off a little unorganized, I am just interested in learning more about this islandDiego garcia

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I lived there for two years as a private contractor, in fact, I've only been away for about a month (I'm getting a new job on the Marshall Islands).

It's a British Island, so the US can't really do anything without the Brits permission. There used to be a lot of bombers there, but about six months ago they relocated to Qatar. They took most of the Air Force that was there with them, so now on the weekends all of the bars and clubs are empty (they also took all of the Air Force women with them!)

They have cargo ships sitting in the lagoon filled with enough tanks and weapons and stuff to take over a small country. They just sit there in case they are needed in that region.

If there are any questions I can answer, let me know.

From the article:

There are now more than 2,000 troops, anchorage for 30 warships, a nuclear dump, a satellite spy station, shopping malls, bars and a golf course. "Camp Justice," the Americans call it.

Shopping malls!!
That is crazy! we barely had a store until last year! Camp Justice was a small collection of tents where the Air Force lived and closed when the bombers left, there's nothing there now. It's no where near the small golf course, or CPO and Officer's Club.

As for the original residents, it's not the first time the US or UK screwed over brown people.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by curme]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
IIt's a British Island, so the US can't really do anything without the Brits permission. There used to be a lot of bombers there, but about six months ago they relocated to Qatar. .

If there are any questions I can answer, let me know.
[edit on 19-2-2007 by curme]

Well it seems you filled in a piece of a puzzle I have been rolling around in my head with that statement.

The whole Iran thing, I kept wondering where the bombers were being sent. Qatar makes sense, perhaps I missed it on the news, but it seems a low key item I guess. Everyone is focused on the Navy not the Air Force

join