It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving Island off coast of Argentina?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I know there are posters excited with Google Earth/Google Maps discoveries, so forgive me if I'm getting ahead of myself.

I was tooling around Google maps and found this astonishing, seemingly unnaturally formed island moving and creating a trail off the southern coast of Argentina.

Take a look at Google Maps and search for Argentina. You will see this object (.pdf file) off the coast, south and east.

It's just strange. The island has several uniformly spaced "peaks" that look very much like pyramids. Also, these peaks seem to be arranged in a semi-circular pattern.

The peak in the very center seems to have legs or extensions of land that are also uniform in size, shape and length. Also, there seems to be an equal number of peaks on either side of this structure (three on the left and right).

Does this feature seem unnatural (i.e., manmade)?

Also, how common is it that islands this size simply slide across the ocean floor, leaving a trail?

The shape of this landmass, its movement, and the very distinct surface features have me puzzled. The surface of this mass is basically flat, but then has these evenly spaced structures...

I saw this a couple of months ago and just left it, but I'm putting it here now to get feedback...My apologies if this has been posted before.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 19-2-2007 by OnTheDeck]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Those are the South Sandwich Islands, and I think you are seeing the Scotia Plate and getting the wrong impression about its tectonic movement. Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Rise up!

I followed the info you provided and found the following:

Name: Scotia Plate

Description: From this high up, with proper enhancement (see thumbnail), the tectonic plate known as Scotia Plate can be seen in its entirety. The eastern sliver of the visible boundary is the South Sandwich Microplate, containing the South Sandwich Islands (just west of the visible trench). These two plates are actually pulling apart from each other, with the Sandwich plate subducting under the much larger South American Plate.

SOURCE

Also found,

The Sandwich Plate (sometimes called the "South Sandwich Plate") is a tectonic plate under the Scotia Sea near Antarctica...

As Antarctica broke away from the tip of South America 30 million years ago, the South Sandwich Arc began its march out into the South Atlantic, forming and carrying the South Sandwich Islands along with it, and dragging the Scotia Plate behind.

The eastern portion of the Scotia Plate broke away about 10 million years ago in a process called back-arc rifting.

The Scotia Plate and the Sandwich Plate spread apart at the East Scotia Ridge; 200 km to the east at the South Sandwich Trench, the South American Plate still subducts beneath this tiny new plate.

SOURCE

The structures and formation are still curious to me...But I thank you for your reply and info!!

Peace out, Icarus!! Unless anyone has something significant to add, I say let's let this post properly drop to the bottom like a stone...pun intended! LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Mmmmm... sandwich.

It does look oddly like it's been moving but I'm sure there's a mundane answer for that.

edit/ ok, the microplate thingy makes sense. sandwich plate... Mmmmm.
Are there any potato chip islands close by?

[edit on 2/19/2007 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thank you, mythatsabigprobe!! LOL

I wasn't that far off being drawn to the strange shape of these islands. I found a couple of sites that speak of these islands and their peculiar arrangement.

Both sites so far deal with a connection between Stonehenge and a stone structure at Avenbury, which I think is in or near Herefordshire, England.

An author named, Ralph Ellis, wrote a book called "Thoth, architect of the Universe" where he describes this connection and its relation to ancient astronauts.

Take it as you will. Here are some excerpts from sites I found:

The Sandwich Islands

Reading Ralph Ellis "Thoth, architect of the Universe" I was wondered about his ''spectacular'' founding of the Sandwich Islands in the stone structure of Avenbury. These islands appear on the map as very cold climate rif islands in the south pole sea (58 degrees is not Antarctica yet but see the pictures: snow white islands). The fact that in Avebury this island group is depicted in stones gives a clue, but merely is an out of Earth beacon lead for astronauts than a Stonehenge like hidden object. As Ellis states: it can't be more simple. Think as an idiot and you get the truth!

Highlight of Ellis book about Thoth is the finding of the world map (or at least a part of it, Africa and Asia) if you turn the 'inside' picture of the Great Piramyd (with the chambers and shafts) upside down, and from East to West. The Kings Chamber is Africa. The gallery is Asia. Architect impressions.

So what are the Sandwich Islands then? They are in Avebury. But so...just a beacon for outer space landing crafts?

SOURCE (toward top of this page)

Also,

I first started to look at this problem at the Stonehenge site and I found there some interesting possibilities that alluded to a highly technical and mathematical capability for its designer. From there I moved over to the sister monument of Avebury, what could I find here? A veritable cornucopia of technology in fact...

Does this not sound a little like the central formation on the Stonehenge site? At Stonehenge we have the Trilithons, the pairs of standing stones that form a horseshoe shape in the center of the Sarsen circle, the pairs of standing stones that were the largest on the site, the horseshoe arrangement that points out towards the north east. Is this not exactly what we see here in the northern circle at Avebury, a little map of Stonehenge?

The designer of Avebury would have had to have left further clues to his prowess, otherwise nobody would believe him or that he had such a comprehensive understanding of our world in that era. The quest was getting exciting because the theory was spawning further theories that were being verified in quick succession, for Thoth has indeed left some further confirmation for us that this was the picture that he wanted us to see. By now, I was beginning to understand the mind of the designer quite well and it was for this reason I declared him and the title of the book to be, "Thoth, Architect of the Universe".

The answer lies in the South Sandwich Islands, these are a group of forgotten islands in the far South Atlantic, which happen to have exactly the same shape as the ' ) ' shaped stones at Avebury. Avebury truly is a complete picture of the Earth. Just ponder for a minute the further ramifications of this bizarre state of affairs. If this theory is true, then Neolithic man, our familiar 'Stig of the Dump' hunter-gatherer from our school books, complete with fur-skin cape and wooden club, was not only aware of the form of the Earth all those thousands of years ago, but was also quite familiar with an obscure group of islands in the South Atlantic.

Also,

...the ' ) ' shape lies in the southern half of the large Avebury ring, and so in turn the ' ) ' shape should also reside in the southern hemisphere on the real Earth. Accordingly, the South Sandwich Islands do reside in the southern hemisphere, and they reside almost exactly below the position of Stonehenge on an atlas. Thus the real layout of the islands is exactly the same as we see at Avebury. The ' ) ' shape is in just the right position in relation to the small picture of Stonehenge at Avebury.

The ' ) ' shape at Avebury is normally pictured as comprising seven stones, the ' ) ' shaped Sandwich Islands comprise seven islands. As I indicated earlier, the physical shape of the island chain is exactly the same as the ' ) ' shaped stones at Avebury; in this case the representation at Avebury is getting dangerously close to the real thing.

SOURCE

There's more at the above site. Also, another site citing "Thoth":

A key figure in Egyptian theology was the god Thoth (who inspired the title of this work).

He was revered by the Egyptians as the inventor of mathematics, astronomy and engineering. He was said to have inscribed all he knew in sacred books which were hidden here on Earth for future generations.

They would be found only by the worthy, suggesting it might be necessary to have some mathematical knowledge in order to locate the hiding place.

The Pi ratio of the Great Pyramid is not only incorporated in that structure, but stunningly, also appears in the structure of Stonehenge, suggesting it comes from the same ultimate source.

A startling link is made between the earthworks of Avebury and a map of the Earth. This interpretation points to two sites, one in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern at latitudes 52 and 58 degrees.

The northern site is out in the Atlantic, beyond the pillars of Hercules, or Gibraltar, as it is now known. This area is supposedly the location of the lost continent of Atlantis.

Some think the Canary Islands are a surviving remnant of some chain of islands long since submerged. The south location is occupied by the South Sandwich Islands. One or the other could be a perfect place to hide something important.

SOURCE

Take that as you will. I still see unnatural formations that look like pyramids, etc., on those islands...Maybe there's something to them...

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Glad to be of help. It is a curious and relatively new, at 30 million years, geological formation you have pointed out there.

top topics

join