It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Vista Speech Recognition Tested

page: 1

join
share:
Ex

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I Couldn't Resist Posting This
Microsoft is Blushing

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Seems kinda silly to expect it to be perfect. Its clear that something like that shouldn't be used for fine tuning a document. How could it know that you want INFO rather than Capital Info? Better to just dictate whatever you want, and worry about capitalization afterwards.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That was so funny !!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, it's got nothing on Dragonsofts Naturally Speaking software.

Oh well... at least it understood that he wanted notepad open.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
^^ Word nerd...

I have dragon naturally speaking and I had to spend an entire day reading scripts to it for the program to learn my voice.

Once I did that...it seems to work ten times better than vista in that video.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I can't stand Vista. I just deleted it off my system and went back to XP.

I do look forward to the day though when I can compose a letter simply by speaking to my computer and it types it out, inserting all the spaces and punctuation without my having to speak them out loud. When I'm finished I just say print, mail, close, and I'm done with it.

I just hope that happens in my lifetime.

Ex

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I hear ya, MrWupy,
I also went back to XP Pro and also hate the new
Windows Media Player, tried several ways to get it out
to reinstall the old one,
gave up and went WinAmp!!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Heh. Did you hear that you could feed it an MP3 with commands and wipe the system?

"Look, I just downloaded this new song from Limewire...let me play it...click..."

"RUN COMMAND RETURN CD ROOT....DEL STAR DOT STAR FORWARDSLASH F FORWARDSLASH S RETURN!"

"What..what...STOP STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP"

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex
I Couldn't Resist Posting This
Microsoft is Blushing

HAHAHAHA that was gold

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
start listening.......

format C:

end listening

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Vista is proving more hassle than its worth
After spending the weekend installing, and studying..
Im still yet to find drivers that work for my soundcard/speakers.
My games do not work.
It runs like a sick dog...
and its giving me the impression its for brain dead people.

how many possible shortcut menu's do I need?
I have a shortcut to my computer on almost every single page, and in everything i do...

sigh... anothern ight of format, install, setup just to use the basics.
back to XP it is.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Frankly, I'd have stayed with Windows 2000 if our sw vendors had continued to support it. I just switched to XP because I was forced to, not because I wanted to.

2K worked like a champ. XP is ok but they've made it so "helpful" that I have issues with it at times. I have no need for Vista. You guys go adopt it early for me.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The more I hear about vista the more I think it is a waste.

As for me and my crew we will stick with windows xp / 2003 server until the absolute end. No reason to make people more pissed off. People where I work dont even know how to use XP, before that they didnt even know how to use 2K.

upgrade has become a bad word from my point.

I think there needs to be an absolute bare minimum shell for windows. All i need is for my programs to load when i click on the shortcut.

I do not need windows suggesting how to use itself, thats like my car asking me if I am sure I want to start it.

just make the damn thing simple enough in the first place !

[edit on 19-2-2007 by R3KR]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Everyone knows you don't upgrade windows until its been out for a grip

Thanks to all that are Beta testing it for me

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Check out this funny image I found....

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Well im not too sure why the guy in the video had such a problem. Why would microsoft be blushing? I ran the tutorial, ran the speech trainer, and my voice recognition works just fine. The voice trainer is the key. As with any voice recognition software, it can attempt to understand you, or you can run the trainer and help it learn your speaking style by reading a couple of paragraphs of text. I can open and close programs, switch tasks, click any button on any page or program, type web addresses, anything i can attempt seems to go off without a hitch. Just dictated this whole post in speech recognition.

Its a novel idea, but i still prefer to type and click things.

Agit8d, BF2142, WOW, MS Flight Sim X all seem to run ever so slightly better in vista. What type of SC and Speakers are you having problems with.

As with any Windows product, first thing you need to install is Chipset drivers, regardless of what the OS tells you. And then do all other driver sets. Creative, Soundmax, Realtek all have vista sound drivers available. u2u me if you want to stay with the Vista you paid for and need some help.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Im slowly moving forward,
Below are the errors I am experiencing.

1. Audio drivers do not recognise my sound as 6 channel, beta drivers and realtek work around drivers fail to FIND a sound device
2. Network connectivity drops out, every few minutes I lose my IP, and have to perform a ipconfig/ renew
3. I am experiencing Pagefile_sys bluescreens at random intervals.
4. I am experiencing IRQ blue screens during startup ( on random startups )
5. I receive a blue screen at shutdown that doesnt specify anything particular
6. NAV fails to find appropriate drivers to load properly
7. During Install I can get bluescreens at different stages
8. My router and networkd pc's drop their networks as soon as my VISTA box is connected. I need to REBOOT my router. Its like vista dominates and forces all to connect 'through it'
9. Shortcut Icons continue to drop, needing me to reset the icon to the file in the folder
10. returning from screen savers causes pc to freeze on random intervals

apart from that, yeah.. it looks good!

But, I do not have internet at home yet, so im finding it hard to resolve all issues being i have to rely on screen shots to come to work, and find fix'es that are really 'hit and miss' as to wether they will work.

I have found some 'more' workarond drivers people specify for my motherboard so I till try that.
I cant find anything anwhere about NAV03 drivers being 'incompatible' so im really still looking there.
The Network connectivity i have found it something a few of my collegaues are experiencing also, so id rather ensure all my bluescreens are fixed before I try looking at intricate problems like that.

Ive also heard people saying Microsoft are going to accelerate their 2000/XP support and cease it sooner rather than later try to force Vista out...

Me thinks Vista may be the achillies heal of microsoft.

My Motherboard is : GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
CPU: Pentium D 2.8Ghz
RAM: 1024MB DDR2
HDD: 250SATAII
Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 1650
Monitor: 19" LG LCD

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Nah, windows millineum was the achilles heel. NAV wont work due to the disconnected kernel from the os. Most pre vista antiviruses and antispywares are having issues trying to run since it cant gain access to the root of the OS.

Ah the dreaded onboard audio. I have avoided using those for years. Recently when my audigy died i had to use the onboard and oh what a difference. The supposed surround(i use zalman 5.1 surround headphones) sucked to high heaven. I immediately got a new xifi sound card and am back to being happy. You will be blown away by the difference. I suggest moving away from onboard, you will truely be glad you did.

The blue screens issues do sound chipset related, especially when using a sata drive. I have raided raptors and it was rough getting it installed. I too got a couple blue screens till i put on the chipset drivers.

The network problems sound like crappy drivers also. Did you let vista install them or did you put ur own on. The MS Marvell yukon drivers caused zero connectivity. After installing the drivers from the website, network worked fine.

As with any new OS (XP sucked at first too) there are hurdles to jump over. I have to endure this for customers so in order to have answers, i spar with it till i knock it out. You paid good money for it, fight it till you win.

Now i know alot of Mac users will eat this up saying everything works fine on macs(OS X had major issues at first too. But i rather carry a dead PC then use a working mac, lol.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I assume, of course, that everyone having trouble with Vista read the compatibilty notes and all that. I've installed it on 5 PC's now, and not a single issue at all.

Also, when a company makes a crappy product, or drivers, or doesn't follow the standards for the new OS, it's easy to pin it on Microsoft. I mean, they suck so bad lately that apple has increased to 5% market share... lol...

I serviced a Mac-based graphics house for a few years... I'll never do it again. I turned down my first job because there were Macs involved.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well, I got through my soundcard/network/graphics issues..

my network runs without a hitch, my sound runs, but im still getting f'n blue screens.

for example,
I have 10x dvds of data.. mp3s, music, rah rah rah..

in the span on copying data from dvd'sover a few hours I received 5.. yes count it FIVE blue screens simply copying data.

win32k.sys
IRQ_NOTLESS_OREQUAL
PAGEFILE.sys
and the other 2 simply had nothing in particular.

just copying data?

My Media player drops out after some time and i have to reboot to be able to use it, and explorer crashes on its own when im not touching it..

but im getting there,

new topics

top topics

join