It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divide America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Following the last election, there were talks about the blue states seceeding from the US and joining Canada (The United States of Canada), and the red states ("Jesusland") would go their own way.

As a student of History, I don't see the current US lasting "forever". I don't want a civil war, but any thoughts about peaceful secession from the Union of states whose goals/beliefs are different from others?

With all the political bickering and impasses going on, it might be an alternative.

What say you?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Actually you should go and look at Hawaii and Alaska. Those 2 states are wanting to leave the US for different reasons and right now both are taking steps to do that.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
What are the reasons? I've never heard this before! I can guess on Hawaii because it was once a kingdom, and they may want to preserve their culture. I can't guess on Alaska, other than it might have a better union with Canada...

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think eventually, the US will split, but it will take some time. Basically, there's a big divide, I guess you could call it "politically" but in the true sense of the word, not having to do with Democrats and Republicans. I personally think the divide is more about how much government we want running lives and how much personal freedom people want.

On the one side you have people who want the government involved in everything from whether a woman can have an abortion, to who can and cannot get married, to what kind of drugs can be legal (and pushed by the government) and which ones should remain illegal. Oh, and there's the guns. The government should be able to pick and choose who has the guns.

On the other side, you have the people who think we should have personal liberties. That we should choose whether or not to have an abortion, whether or not to get married, do drugs or have a gun.

As I see it, you have your "libertarians" on one side and everyone else on the other!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
California and the South West will become part of Mexico. Without serious intervention this is unavoidable. If states leave the USA (which I believe is against the law) it will be because of the massive numbers of illegal Mexican immigrants as well as legal Mexican immigrants who have strong ties to the country of Mexico. THAT is what I see in the future.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Perhaps such situations can be avoided with a resurgence of states rights and a curbing of the Federal governments powers. This way, there could be 50 different lifestyles (with laws that reflect those lifestyles) within the USA and secession could be avoided. Whether this can be done without further strife is another story.

IMO, however un-PC it may be, the reason for the first civil war was to strip the states of their power and unify the nation under a strong Federal government; slavery was only the modus operandi for the federalists (NWO perhaps, but I won't go there). I think that subsequent events bear out this theory, however distasteful it may seem to have Lincoln relegated to a tool rather than a hero of the people (to slaves and northern people anyways).

In any event, much of the problem today seems to stem from the attempt to unify a diverse group of people stretching over an entire continent under one coherent ideology and way of life. This strategy is flawed and if it continues to be pursued we could indeed see parts of the country break away or fall to the Mexicans or Canadians (Mexico can have California, nice as it's economy is, we'll take Washington, Oregon and perhaps Maine ).

Unfortunately I don't see any such changes as forthecoming, in fact I see a greater push to merge all of North America under an even more repressive Federal power which would increase these cultural problems exponentially, barring any drastic action from the Federal power. Pretty bleak I know, but it might actually come to another civil war.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Orwells Ghost]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
WHOA, easy ppl. The continental US wont be splitting up anytime soon. Though we as americans disagree on things pertaining to the political spectrum, we all share a symbiotic relationship with one another that is stronger then the differences we have with one another. Events such as the 4th of july, sports, etc.....all sorts of hobbies etc.... Out shine and out class all the differences we may have with one another.

I agree that we have got to get a good clean grip on the illegal alien problem that this country is facing. But dont be an isolationist. I like lou dobbs. Hes a good man, but hes an isolationist as well. Illegal aliens are risking life and limb just to come to america. So all political differences aside, I think that goes to show just how great of a country that we live in. I mean ppl are risking their very lifes in high unstable seas in makeshift boats just to step foot on american soil. We are the melting pot of cultures, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future as americans AS ONE NATION.

PS. where did you hear alaska wants independence? I have family in alaska and have been to see them a few times. Alaskans are very nice, down to earth ppl. Every time Ive gone there I see patriotic americans who have american flags draping right off their front porch. So I dont see the correlation here..

Hawaii is well....more of a tourist spot that relies heavily on the american USD to stay open for buisness. I dont see them departing from the US anytime soon. Source anyway?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Perhaps such situations can be avoided with a resurgence of states rights and a curbing of the Federal governments powers. This way, there could be 50 different lifestyles (with laws that reflect those lifestyles) within the USA and secession could be avoided. Whether this can be done without further strife is another story.

I agree with this. Rudy Guiliani is for this actually. Which is one reason why I like him so much. Hes all about letting the state vote on different problems that face each state such as illegal immigration and the laws that prohibit them. I really like his style and hope he gets the nod for '08.

[edit on 052828p://5702pm by semperfoo]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well I can't say I've heard any mainstream sources suggesting that any
of the states wanted to seceed, but that does'nt men it's not true.

I think that it is very well possible such a thing could happen.
I mean every state in the union has atleast on groups that wants
independance, in this state it's the Cascadia Reunification (Oregon,
Washington and Britich Columbia), and it, if it got support could actu-
ally work, as it both reflects the general ideals of the peoples in this
region, and in general we could support ourselves.

Personally I want to see a United North America, not to be confused
with a United States with Canada and Mexico as states, but a new
entity itself, similiar ot the EU.

I don't think that the South-West will be 'overrun' by 'illegal immigrants'
and become part of Mexico or anyhting like that, way to many people living there that would fight.

As for seccession, it's actually guaranteed in the Constiution, however
the states that comprise the old Confederacy cannot legally secceed
as they forbidden to by Lincoln.

new topics

top topics

join