It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Needs to Offer More Incentives For Green Buildings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

CHICAGO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - When it opens next year, the 54-story Bank of America Tower in New York will be the most environmentally friendly office building in the United States.
It will produce most of its energy at an on-sit cogeneration plant. It will capture and reuse waste water and rainwater.
And it uses recycled materials in its construction.

The building is the latest in a trend toward office buildings that use less energy and cause less global warming. But developers say that trend is being held back by insufficient government support.

Seventeen U.S. states and 59 cities including New York and Chicago offer incentives for green buildings or require certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
That, and demand from tenants, has led to a boom in green buildings, said Rick Fedrizzi, founder of the U.S. Green Building Council, a nonprofit group that issues the LEED certification.

But without $650 million in bonds intended to rebuild Lower Manhattan after the attacks of September 11, 2001, it may not have been built.
Jeffrey Schwartz, chief executive of ProLogis -- the world's largest developer, said the U.S. government is not doing enough to help green buildings.

SOURCE:
news.Yahoo.com

I am glad to see that green building/architecture is catching on
and becoming popular.
It is however sad that the government is not doing anything to
further encourage it.

Comments, opinions?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei...
I am glad to see that green building/architecture is catching on
and becoming popular.
It is however sad that the government is not doing anything to
further encourage it.

Comments, opinions?

You mean like tax deductions and credits for homeowners who incorporate solar and high efficiency into their homes? Property tax breaks and utility subsidies for business that do likewise?

Already exists. Check with your accountant.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I always tell people who attack me for being opposed to "global warming" that more taxes and more laws wont do a thing besides put more money in the governments pocket. How does that help the environment? Here in CT we started a lootery with the promise all the earnings would go to education spending. That lasted about 2 weeks. Now the money goes into the general fund and is spent on God knows what.

You want to do something positive?

REWARD dont PUNISH

Tell me I wont have to pay an auto tax if I buy a hybrid. Ill go get one after work. Tell me my property taxes will be cut if I go solar or buy an energy efficient water heater and Ill pick those up on my way home from the car dealership.

Tell me youre going to tax a company that can afford it anyway?
Tell me youre going to tax an entire nation?

That makes me angry, suspicious and very very spiteful.

join