It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why your children will hate you/No child left behind is a scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Maybe instead of fighting a war we should focus on our children.

Oh wait, nevermind, children don't have any oil.

www.theglobeandmail.com... TGAM.20070214.wunkids0214/BNStory/International/home

British and U.S. children are the worst off in the industrialized world, according to a UN report Wednesday that ranked the well-being of youngsters in 21 wealthy countries.

Oh and by the way, the No Child Left Behind act is a scam to get our children into the military.

Don't believe me?

Read on.

gnn.tv...

And the 4th branch, i.e. the media has a special role...

gnn.tv...

More and more evidence...

tiberius.gnn.tv...

http://_poe.gnn.tv/blogs/20770/Lie_and_Distortion_Tactict s_Used_In_Military_Recruitment

[url=http://revolutionlilies.gnn.tv/blogs/15756/82_children_bush_left_behind]http://revolutionlilies.gnn.tv/blogs/15756/82_children_bush_left_behind[/ url]

Try to spin this G-men...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
First link...

I don't know about this report. It seems a little far-fetched and alarmist. I have a little trouble believing that education in the United States is worse than that in Spain.

I want to see the data and how they got the data; it seems subjective, really, as if they asked opinions of children for a survey...

Your third link...

However, there is a term that properly explains these people’s modus operandi: they are technocrats — a breed of thinker who may very well vanquish the Nazi’s to second place in the history of the world’s most dangerous people.

More babbling. But reading past that, let's see... Alright, the first eleven paragraphs are all completely irrelevant...

Okay, this entire thing is all bull. They don't give any reasons for anything, just anti-US government crap without explanation. Might be for a good reason, but not that they give, so it's worthless. On to the next one.

Now the second.

Alright, it's a little less inane. But still no explanations or rationalization. I think this site is very biased. It's complaining about how recruiters talk to children in high school to recruit them.

I don't like their methods. They're far too pushy sometimes. But they need to advertise, to make themselves known. And if other jobs are being advertised, the military should be as well. It's a great opportunity for someone who has few other options (does poorly in school, doesn't have a lot of money... it gives them a place to go, but they have to decide whether it's right or not for themselves).

And the last one.

It's half-truth. Or quarter.

Schools have two ways of dealing with this: Opt-Out or Opt-In. Opt-out means that you tell the school that you do not want your information given out and they won't. Opt-in means that the school won't give any information unless you tell them they can.

Either way, you can prevent the school from giving information, so the whole article is really moot and useless. It's more political babble without logic.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
omega1, I'm glad you posted this. I have always thought this. They're messing with the kids in school. I'm so glad I don't have kids and if I did, they wouldn't go near a public school!

No Child Left Alive...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
it might of came out, to give more authority to social services in these countries.

no one should ever bring kids into this world, i am glad you agree Benevolent Heretic.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I don't know about this report. It seems a little far-fetched and alarmist. I have a little trouble believing that education in the United States is worse than that in Spain.

actually the US does rate higher than spain for education of you look at the report...anyway..

..in general, from my knowledge at least, it seems like a pretty good reflection of the situation. The US may be the biggest producers and consumers of goods for example, but that's got little or nothing to do with child welfare. Stable family lives, equal opportunities, safe environments and

of course it's all statistically based, so endlessly debatable..

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have no doubt that the government wants the children in the military. Since my daughter was in around the 3rd grade, maybe sooner, they have had recruiters from the military come to the school to tell the kids how great the military is and my daughter started saying how cool it was that there were real military men at the school. I have been quite upset about it and have been trying to counter the propaganda the school has fed her. She is in the 5th grade now.

When I was in school, there were NEVER any military recruiters coming to the schools.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I agree. The NCLB's mission is to raise the stakes so that less people will graduate and look to join the army. Or someone of them didn't do quite well and need army funding to go to college because they missed the scholarship. There's also other critics with the same conclusion's. John Kerry said it best. If you don't study hard you're gonna end up in Iraq.

You know where the Fed came up with the idea? They've been shackling citizen's in the rat raise by screwing with stock markets, interest rates, and raising the price of the standards of living we enjoy.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rrahim1
I agree. The NCLB's mission is to raise the stakes so that less people will graduate and look to join the army. Or someone of them didn't do quite well and need army funding to go to college because they missed the scholarship. There's also other critics with the same conclusion's. John Kerry said it best. If you don't study hard you're gonna end up in Iraq.

That's stupid. Do you know how hard it is to join the military without a diploma?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
While I don't like your links, I do like the point about "no-child-left-behind" ..

If you want to solve this problem.. it is not about more federal funding to education instead of wars..

Its removing the Federal government from Education all together.

Show me where in the constitution Congress or the President had the right to dictate Education? Its a STATE responsibility.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
exactly right, and because the President and Congress supported it we conclude they are corrupt, we also conclude the federal government is corrupt, and they're numerous bases outside the us are corrupt, and they're war is corrupt, and our money supply is corrupt, and our education system is corrupt, and the stock markets are corrupt, everything is corrupt. You gota learn how to be corrupt to win this game. That's Capitalism. Capitalize on eachother. What do you think the government was going to turn into? A center of aid? They've got a position that has such a high potential for becoming rich. They invest all their money into a oil industry. Start a war and then reap the profits.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Public education is a nightmare. Letting the state control it is both communistic and totalitarian.

And blatantly inefficient.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Maybe a little off topic but, Smart, intelligent, free thinking kids are never going to be a product of a state sponsortionsed education programme.

The real teaching takes place at home, with parents who can SHOW their children things. It's no good telling kids to read a book it will make you smarter and saying "get good grades, go to college get a good job". That's just what they want...

Hey the Army is good stable job and they'll teach me things as well.

But to be honest some kids, and there will always be some, will join up just to get out of a bad situation at home. That has been the same for generations and will reamain the same for generations to come.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Hah. OK I will look into all those mentioned links when I get the time.

But I just want to say this: THE No Child Left Behind Act is BOGUS. It's leading to nothing but more dropouts, angrier students, and much angrier teachers.

I know this because I am a student who has to deal with this #. It's rediculous.

I'll post more when I get time, as for now I have things to do.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Somehow I'm not surprised that this type of legislation got wedged into the act. It amazes me that our "democratic" and "open government" legal system allows Congress, the Senate and the President to pass laws with subsections that have nothing at all to do with the main thrust of the law.

I think it's way past time to make federal laws and guidelines that require all legislation stay on TOPIC. If you want to pass a law making a new protected environmental area in XX state it shouldn't include funding for farm equipment in a state on the other side of the country!! Maybe it's time for our elected officials to me made aware of how we would like our country run ... only problem is we have to back that up with not voting the same yahoos into government everytime.

I found the US Dept Of Education website that specifically lists the Federal law that allows them to compel a secondary school to provide names/address/telephone numbers of all students in attendance.

US DOE - Policy Guide for Schools

I also found this interesting website that has info on how to legally "opt out" of this system so as to avoid the military recruiter phone calls.

Resource Center for NonViolence

It's still important for parents to talk to their children, what a concept, about their beliefs of the role of the miltary and to warn them, if they feel neccessary, to avoid talking with recruiters without mom and dad present. Also to empower them that they don't have to speak with a recruiter if they don't want to.

I have no problem with the recruiters being at career days and what not but why should they have special access to address/ph#'s when no one else does? Some of those recruiters are so pushy it's ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

join