It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Brand spanking new" Star Trek Original Series??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I noticed something very, VERY odd this past Sunday while watching an episode of Star Trek (The Oriignial Series). The episode was The Doomsday Machine and the first thing I noticed was, in the opening credits, a very different Enterprise, which was sharper, a different color, with much more elaborately shot ship angles. This isn't merely recoloriaztion or touching up the sound. The "ship shots" have been completely redone with computer-generated ships and star mattes. (The death of the Doomsday Machine is WAY BETTER!) I watched the episode to the end and pointed out every little difference I might find to the missus, who now thinks I'm nutzo.

Personally, I'm thrilled that someone took the time and made the effort to update this series! Now if I could ONLY FIND THIS RESHOT VERSION ON DVD!! I would sit through every episode again, and probably again...and probably...well, you get the idea.

Please help! I want desparately to find this retouched series and try as I might, I haven't had any luck!

Your input is greatly appreciated!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
hey I think I might've found it

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
I noticed something very, VERY odd this past Sunday while watching an episode of Star Trek (The Oriignial Series).

What channel? I want to activate my DVR and tricorder for this one!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Lysergic, great stuff! How do you find this?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The remastered episodes are not available on DVD yet, and they're in the process of releasing them in syndication in the U.S.

Check StarTrek.com for all the info, but here's a little blurb from the site.

UPDATED 11.06.06

The special digital remasters of Star Trek are now airing throughout the country. Below is the scheduled episode by week, with the affiliate city and station on Page 2. This list is merely a guide as to what is released each week, with the airtime in your city determined by the local affiliate. The week's episode could air on the Saturday or Sunday, so we advise you to check your local listings for times in your area.

Disclaimer: Please note that this schedule is subject to change.

Weekend
Title
Prod #

09.16.06 Balance of Terror
Miri (two episodes this weekend only) 009
09.23.06 The Devil in the Dark 026
09.30.06 The Naked Time 007

10.07.06 The City on the Edge of Forever 028
10.14.06 I, Mudd 041
10.21.06 Arena 019
10.28.06 Catspaw 030

11.04.06 The Trouble With Tribbles 042
11.11.06 Mirror, Mirror 039
11.18.06 Space Seed 024
11.25.06 The Menagerie, Part I 016

12.02.06 The Menagerie, Part II 016
12.09.06 The Corbomite Maneuver 003
12.16.06 Balance of Terror 009
12.23.06 The Devil in the Dark 026
12.30.06 Mirror, Mirror 039

01.06.07 Friday's Child 032
01.13.07 Wink of an Eye 068
01.20.07 Where No Man Has Gone Before 002
01.27.07 For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky 065

02.03.07 Journey to Babel 044
02.10.07 The Doomsday Machine 035
02.17.07 Amok Time 034

www.startrek.com...

As you can see, The Doomsday Machine was the last to air.

A CBS news release is posted on Trek Today as well.
www.trektoday.com...

So far I haven't been able to see any of these in Canada. :shk:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Okay, here's what I could find at the official Star Trek web site. Keep in mind, these are all from The Doomsday Machine. Some GREAT before/after shots. The last, of course, is the Constellation on its suicide mission to kill the doomsday maching.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Mondays at 3 AM in New York, and it's not even in HD, but it WAS produced in HD. Every sports game is in HD. Leno, Letterman, and Conan are all in HD. The new TOS is not though?

Who is running these networks? They have no clue who their audience is and what it wants.
Joe Rube likes Letterman, Football, beer, and DOESN'T have an HDTV. Okay, so he might have one, but he doesn't have the connections and just watches SDTV all stretched funny. You know these tools, and every time you see his television you just want to smash it over his head.

Nerds like Star Trek, and you know damn well that these nerds all have some type of HDTV and the appropriate equipment and connections to use it.

But you know what, network execs know best, and I'm sure all of their problems just have easy scapegoats anyway.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Well, in regard to the HD issue, I can say that HD is a very different animal from Analog or Standard Digital. True HD is shot with HD cameras, beamed down or broadcast on a very different frequency, and translated through an HD receiver for an HDtv screen. The ship shots could have easily been done for HD, but what about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Like when George Lucas remastered all the only Star Wars?

You know what happened after that..They started making new ones...

That would be great Provided that they can find a Great cast..Preferable a non Andromeda type cast.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That is gonna be sweet... *starts drooling

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Okay, Amok Time (Season 2-episode 1) just started here in Pocatello, ID. It's Saturday 2/17/07 at 11:30 PM on Fox channel 31. I hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76

You know what happened after that..They started making new ones...

I wonder how long it will be before CGI technology will be advanced enough to make new episodes of old shows and we won't be able to tell the difference.

I'm sure the time will come that new episodes of the original series could be made in a quality that we won't be able to tell it's not the actual actors, but created in a computer.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
the original series was shot on film which has a higher resolution than Hd so if they used the original negatives as Im pretty sure they did, there is no problem translating that to HD... in fact HD is a downgrade from film... from 2048x1536 to 1920x1080 (full HD) and from m16 bits colour per channel to just 10.

The ship is a CGI version of the enterprise made to match shot by shot the original...

top topics

join