It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq to Close Borders with Iran and Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Iraq's government announced today that they will close their borders with Iran and Syria. The borders will be closed for 72 hours in order to help curb violence in Baghdad.

news.yahoo.com
Iraq's government said on Tuesday it had closed its borders with
Syria and Iran, and extended the hours of a night curfew in Baghdad under a U.S.-backed security plan to rein in violence in the capital.

The measures ordered by Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al- Maliki were announced on Iraqiya state television by Lieutenant General Abboud Qanbar, the Iraqi commander who is leading the security offensive in Baghdad.

He said the borders would be closed for 72 hours.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't understand what closing the borders for 72 hours will allow. Maybe it will give them time to make a preliminary clean-out, but I don't see how then reopening the borders will help ensure a permanent solution. I admit that I could be wrong, and maybe they know something I don't, but I don't understand and would like to hear more about their plan.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It just BEGS the question,
If we were legit on stopping Iran from introducing munitions and men into Iraq, why didnt we do this earlier?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
More over... why close it only for 72hours? close em for as long as we need it

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
They can close off nearly 1,000 miles of border just like that?
Maybe the Iraqis should train our government on how to secure our own borders!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Funny how this makes headlines today, like it's some sort of new tactic.

Flashback:
Iraq closes borders with Jordan after Saddam verdict Nov 2006
Iraq Closes Border With Syria, Declares Emergency Law Dec 2005
Iraq to close borders during elections Jan 2005

Is this like US border crackdown, where it looks good only on paper?

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It looks like it's a test to see how they are able to block the iranian army to enter Iraq after an attack... i'm pretty sure it's that. It's a drill, to see how they could improve their strategy.

Or the attack is gonna happen in the next 72 hours... We'll see.

Anyway, it's another step towards war with Iran.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
sodom

"Or the attack is gonna happen in the next 72 hours..."

thats exactly what i thought

i hope we are all wrong...

sodom

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This is to stupid the insurgents will simply wait 72 hours before they move any supply's and people that aren't urgent. Iraq's borders need to be closed and secured permanently. Agit8dChop if Iraq was more secure people like Bremer might have to answer some hard questions and face a judge.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Other news concerning Iran that could lead to war...

Anti-American cleric flees Iraq for Iran
It's obvious they could use that as a pretext that Iran don't give them the biggest terrorist in Iraq and that they are helping him...

Syrian group says that they are keeping an Israëli soldier that they kidnapped in 1997

You add that to the bus bombing in Iran that could be a US commando or domestic allies for diverting attention...

This seems like BIG news for the war against Iran AND Syria... just after the Iraqi border close with Iran and Syria for 72 hours... Looks like the war will start soon, like in the next 72 hours.

Any news on Israëlis movement of troops?

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
While I dont think war is going to start in 72 hours...

Now sadr's gone, they are activley showing evidence agasint iran for munitions.. maybe the US will take the lead with these new troops and in the next 72hours perform a MAJOR offensive against sadr's militia..

he's outta the county, so close the border to ensure he cant get back in and 'properly' organise his militia.

Malaki aint doing jack, so maybe the US has had enough, and are going to launch a major offensive here....

When does the carrier group arrive?

The public are not droned up enough to follow attacks on Iran, doing so wouldnt work for the US.
they need another 'big' attack, either in Iraq ( against US troops ) in Israel (outside of jeruselum) or in the US..

Where's Israel while all this is happening?

They have been rather quiet in the last week in regards to Iran.......

Maybe they are preparing to attack? and America has closed the border knowing this in advance.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I would guess that the 72 hours gives them the time to move the resources in that will allow them to properly monitor the borders.

Why haven't they done this before? This is why the "surge" has taken place. Prior to this, there were not enough forces to remain behind to secure a foothold once it had been gained. The troops had to move out to control the next brushfire, and the insurgents just moved right back in behind them.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Malaki aint doing jack, so maybe the US has had enough, and are going to launch a major offensive here....

Very true. Maliki is too weak to control Iraq.

Where's Israel while all this is happening?

They have been rather quiet in the last week in regards to Iran.......

Maybe they are preparing to attack? and America has closed the border knowing this in advance.

No, I don't believe that is the case. America has been working overtime to keep Israel out of the conflict, knowing that Israel's involvement would inflame tensions in the region to an uncontrollable point.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Why haven't they done this before? This is why the "surge" has taken place. Prior to this, there were not enough forces to remain behind to secure a foothold once it had been gained. The troops had to move out to control the next brushfire, and the insurgents just moved right back in behind them.

That's incorrect. They had the troops and the time to do it way before that. Now the troops are at 130.000 or so + the surge of 20.000. 150.000 But in 2005, there was around 185.000 troops in Iraq, why they didn't do it then?

Here's a graph

It just occured to them to secure the border or it's a preparation for Iran war?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
If the US was really concerned about curbing violence shouldn't the army be focusing on these borders to monitor weapon smuggling and stuff? it seems to be that they are just huge screw-ups or intentionally screwing up.

Also-I truly doubt the US or Israel will attack Iran anytime soon, especially in 72 hours.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It is very difficult to obtain a clear picture of what is going on over in Iraq right now. So many stories offer so many different thoughts and ideas. There has been the recent flare up regarding the US blaming Iran for smuggling arms into Iraq and causing trouble; then the news that al-Sadr might have found his way into Iran; now this news about closing the border. And for just 72 hours? Why put a timetable on it; and why so short?

Does Iraq even have the capability to properly conduct a border closing operation?

I believe the carrier group is still a couple to three weeks away...that is what I heard on the news Monday.

Who knows???

new topics

top topics

join