It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket Plane Breaks Sound Barrier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Rocket Plane Breaks Sound Barrier

This would seem to be a big step in the move toward corporate-controlled space travel. As we all know, give anything to big business and they'll find a way to make it cheaper than we ever thought possible. Applying space travel to this concept is a natural. And Microsoft's Paul Allen is the backer for this one.

Hopefully SpaceShip One's computers are run by an OS a little more stable and dependable than Windows.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunterHopefully SpaceShip One's computers are run by an OS a little more stable and dependable than Windows.

LOL. I agree, the privatization of public industries is incredibly beneficial. It's one of the things I staunchly support. The government wastes so many resources in its inefficient quest for increased control. The most the government should do is provide subsidies and incentives for businesses in need of the capital to develop/produce space travelling platforms. Just think how advanced our technology would be if there was profit motive and competition.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
While I understand the need to keep some things strictly in the domain of governmental regulation, at least where actual matters of national security are concerned, competition among private corporations is a driving force behind any new technology's development.

I'm not sure I'd say the government should subsidze these private programs per se, but I would definitely suggest looking into ways to provide incentives to any company that shows actual progress toward the goal of providing private spaceflight possibilities.

With NASA seemingly taking a step backward by looking at creating an admittedly modernized Apollo-esque capsule program to replace the aging Shuttle fleet, it seems to me that private companies will likely provide the ingenuity to actually take a step forward in the development of a space program.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
www.space.com...
Scary landing pix,check it out.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Nice pics Paralyz! I think they're definitely on to something with this project, and hopefully they'll be able to see it through to a successful completion.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Boy's at NASA should be taking notes...hehe.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm sure someone at NASA *is* taking notes.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
PARALYZ...

very nice picture...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
In conclusion to that landing, nothing can be improved without risks. Like the NASA Columbia spacecraft, there is going to be more done to improve safety, and develope a new kind of craft that is fabricated with safier technology and reusable takeoff/landing. Iam not saying that its good that it crashed, but the horrible side can be improved.

And the day came when the risk to remain in a bud was more painful

-Anais Nin

top topics

join