It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy Deployment of 'Anti-Terrorism Dolphins'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
When it comes to Homeland Security, and especially preventing terrorism, I would expect the Government to use every potential technology and asset to create the most optimal security. But dolphins and sea lions trained to detect and apprehend waterborne attackers? According to the following report that is the case...

Navy May Deploy Anti-Terrorism Dolphins (link)

SAN DIEGO Feb 12, 2007 (AP)— Dozens of dolphins and sea lions trained to detect and apprehend waterborne attackers could be sent to patrol a military base in Washington state, the Navy said Monday.

In a notice published in this week's Federal Register, the Navy said it needs to bolster security at Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, on the Puget Sound close to Seattle.

The base is home to submarines, ships and laboratories and is potentially vulnerable to attack by terrorist swimmers and scuba divers, the notice states.

The article claims that the dolphins have incredible sonar capabilities and combined with their impressive intelligence and training they are perfect for the job.

Didn't they once use dolphins to locate under water explosive mines?

The latest soldiers in the war on terror, Dolphins and Sea Lions.

Maybe they could avoid a potential future draft by recruiting even more species from the vast and diverse animal kingdom?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ah dolphins are old stuff

Im looking forward for our Canadian WingedMonkeys division with lasers strapped to their forehead to be operational

Sarcasm aside: I wonder how they can train a dolphin? I mean, having it do a couple of jumps is one thing... clearing mines is another... I wouldnt know how to train those

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The very same way you can train a dog to find bombs, drugs and corpses, to guard your home and attack a certain type of person. Learning by playing, punishment and reward. It's quite easy, I guess.

Dear animals, if any of you can read this: I'm ashamed that I'm one of those "intelligent humans". We shouldn't be using you - horses, elephants, camels, eagles, doves, dogs, dolphins and sea-lions - to fight our human wars.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
maybe bigfoot, mothman, thunderbird, and the Jersey devil are all homeland security weapons too......

hmmm....

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The US Navy has tried this before though. After much training and investment the Dolphins were released on their first mission and they all buggered off for a peaceful life in the sea, never to be seen again. Proving, if anything, that they are a damn sight more intelligent than we are.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I remember at the start of the war on iraq, some of those dolphins ran away.

LOL. Classic.

The US Navy has tried this before though. After much training and investment the Dolphins were released on their first mission and they all buggered off for a peaceful life in the sea, never to be seen again. Proving, if anything, that they are a damn sight more intelligent than we are.

HAHAHA someone else remembers it to. = )

I guess they didn't want to take part in the US's criminal activities.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Syrian Sister]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Didn't some dolphins like this get loose a few years back?
During a hurricane I think maybe it was in Katrina.

Found it here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
LOL I remember seeing the title to that thread the first time.

Raist

top topics

join