It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I join the Masons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
OK,

So I knew my granddad was a mason, but I never really asked much about it until recently. Just a few hours ago I went to visit him in hospital, since to be frank... He's in the last few years of his life. Being 17 we didn't have that much to talk about when my dad went of for a cigarette, so I demanded he tell me the secrets of the masons. He didn't of course

On the way home I was talking to my dad about the whole mason thing. He had been asked if he'd like to join when he was younger but had declined. It turns out that my granddad was the master of his lodge for over a year, and that the masons had paid for my late grandmothers' private health care, including two operations. Also they had paid for one of my granddads private operations. This is hardly the type of thing you expect from the society some people like to pretend it is.

And so it occurred to me, even though my father declined, maybe I still have a chance at getting in. My granddad was a good member for many year (still is). If I want to pursue the idea of Masonry membership I'd have to do it soon, as I said... my granddad only has a few years left in him, and he is probably the most direct route into membership.

So guys what do you think, is it worth the effort to join?

PS; Any Masons out there I'd love it if you could talk to me either on this board or in private, about the benefits of membership, and how I would best go about attempting to join.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLazy

PS; Any Masons out there I'd love it if you could talk to me either on this board or in private, about the benefits of membership, and how I would best go about attempting to join.

Ask your grandpa for a membership petition. If he doesn't have one, he can get one from the Lodge Secretary (this brother's phone number will be included on the Lodge news letter).

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What kind of age restrictions are there in Masonry?

I have silver served at a Mason dinner once and I don't recall anyone looking younger than 30.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
CL

The age requirement is to be a Male at least 19 years of age and in good standing, also a belief in a supreme being - God -

Once your 19 you can petition, I say go for it, it is a unique experience if any thing else.. I am lovin it so far.. I should be (unless a schedule change occurs) a Master Mason in March.. being 20 years old I am the youngest to ever go through my lodge. don't worry about age differences though, after a while they kind of melt away and you talk to the older folk like you would your friends.

Also, no need to rush because Masonry does not operate on lineage.. any one can petition, knowing people just helps get in, I had 2 past masters and another officer sign mine.

But why the sudden interest in Masonry? Is there something about it that draws you to want to be a Mason? Just curious.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Age is one of the details that varies between lodges. They may wave this away if you are the son of a mason (also available depending on lodge) but not before 18. I'm not a mason, so I'm definately no expert in this field and it merely based on my own research.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
As far as I know the age is 19 - no actually I know thats a fact
- and nowhere is it 18.

Age is determined by the Grand Lodge and does not differ between lodges. :bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join