It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States try to ban driver distractions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Thousands of drivers hit the road everyday. On their way to work, school, starbucks etc. Traffic jams in many areas slow our journey. So why not read a book, shave on the way to work, spread cream cheese over your recently purchased bagel, or make a call on our call on your cell?

Well you may not have much control over what you do in your own car!

Vermont lawmakers are considering a measure that would ban eating, drinking, smoking, reading, writing, personal grooming, playing an instrument, "interacting with pets or cargo," talking on a cell phone or using any other personal communication device while driving. The punishment: a fine of up to $600.

Similar bills are under consideration in Maryland and Texas, and Connecticut has passed one that generically bans any activity that could interfere with the safe operation of a motor vehicle

"Cell phones attracted people to this issue," said Matt Sundeen, a transportation analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures. "Now that people are more focused on distracted driving issues, they're beginning to talk about the broader range of distractions."

"I can understand the cell phone thing," he said. "But the rest of it, how are they going to enforce that?"

source

I've gotta agree wit the last quote. how can this possibly be enforced? Our police are already stretched to thin and seem to be glorified babysitters with policing such violations.

I do believe these, "driving distractions," need to be addressed like cell phones, but food, coffee?

How will this ever work? What about places like starbucks. Are they to try and require their patrons to drink in their coffee house as if it's a bar? What about fast food. By the time I get home my fries are cold. Who wants cold French fries?

Trust me I have seen some ugly and rather unbelievable things happening people cars, on their daily commute. The above article even called out a driver who was playing the flute. It's scary really, but is this enforceable and should I even get to that point.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
maybee the guy playing the flute was doing so to control a serious outbreak of " snakes in a car " he was experiencing ,

and he did not wish to " interact with pets or cargo "

just a thought

but seriously - the drivers should DRIVE it really is a full time occupation

an idiot here [ the UK ] was recently prosecuted for shaving while driving - WTF ? it did not say if it was an electric or wet shave , but just WTF ?

time management is not rocket science - and if people cannot handle it - they deserve to be late

join