It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NUCLEAR WAR SURVIVAL?!?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If there was a nuclear war........

Any ideas on how to be prepared? Where to go? How deep of a bunker is neccesary to survive in the blast radius (i know there is no survival at ground zero)?

Maybe run for the hills? Would a reinforced concrete bunker in your basement that goes 100 feet deep work out ok? I know gretest force is directly under and a good deal around the warhead.

hide underneath a desk?

There are not to many video clips of a nuclear detonation available on the internet. If anyone knows any good cites please post in a reply. thanks.

comments or sug. appreciated.
(sorry about spelling)

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
with the new nukes of this world...

the best thing you can do is say GOOD BYE to your family before everyone of you will DIE!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by REASON
If there was a nuclear war........

Any ideas on how to be prepared? Where to go? How deep of a bunker is neccesary to survive in the blast radius (i know there is no survival at ground zero)

Don't, really, the effects of a global nuclear war would be so horrific that surviving is really not worth it, if its a small scale nuclear war, or an accident you do have a chance. First you must get past the heat wave, this is the intense light brighter than the sun which will burn everything it comes in contact with, if you live past 20 miles from a major target then this is the only thing you really have to worry about.. if you live closer then close all your curtains, its best to have reflective blinds or white drapesto reflect it out, if you have time e.g. a few days before an attack, take the oppurtunity to coat all of your windows (inside and out) in a thick coating of white matte emulsion then a coat of gloss (the gloss will bubble away whereas the matte will crack and fall off, this should get rid of a good deal of the light energy , if you have no time, just close your drapes and get rid of combustible materials e.g. paper. (keep some sand or water in a shaded area). Ok, you've survived the fire but now we have to get through the rest of it.

The Blast.
You'll normally have about 20 seconds from the explosion till the blast hits you at a distance of 7 miles, this blast will take the shape of a 300mph wall of wind which will race outwards faster than sound, that means your not going to hear it coming, the sound, this will cause large overpressures in the area of the bombs immediate path which will cause massive pressures. This wall of wind will blow your roof off and make your windows implode, so DO NOT come out until this wave has hit. If you survive this then well done, you should barricade yourself in a room with no windows and if you have enough notice you should build a "shield" around it consisting of everything you can find thats heavy and a layer of concrete blocks around it. You should do this on the ground level, the higher you go the less effectiveness this method has. If you've survived this then you're essentially fine for now, but be careful not to go outside for a good few minutes, after the winds have spread outwards they come right back in again to feed the flames, this is the part of the firestorm.

The Firestorm.

Ok, so if your near the blast then you've beat everything so far, however you must deal with fire, chances are, parts of your house are on fire, go around checking every room, try and extinguish the fire with sand or a fire blanket. After the winds come howling back in, your fires are going to burn alot more intense so you HAVE to get them well out before the firestorm, which will come a minute or two after the blastwave. If you've survived this then well done, now comes the tricky part... LIFE!

Fallout:
Contrary to popular opinion your lethal dose of radiation does not come when the bomb explodes, it comes from the fallout, if you can escape this fallout then you have a real good chance of living through all of this, after the bomb explodes you have around the region of 1 hour before the fallout falls from the sky, fallout is actually pieces of dirt that have been sucked into the mushroom cloud and irradiated then fall down over the area, they are sucked so high that they take time to fall, we'll call it 45 minutes clear time as the recommended time is an hour, and we have to be safe
. This is your CRITICAL time, what you do in this time will probably decide whether you live or die in the long run, if you've got to this point then you have a real good chance of surviving, except if its global nuclear war. You should take this time to take the bare essentials with you, to your car or van etc, and i mean the bare essentials, knives, first aid kit, warm clothes, torch, and any survival equipment you can get from your house. Do NOT go to a store, they will be looted within a few minutes, in fact, once your driving, stop for nobody except your family, we're a ferocious species when we know we're about to die and people will try and take your car if they can. Its all about looking after number one now. Fallout falls in a large squashed ellipse shape that starts at ground zero, you have to move in any direction except the way the wind is blowing, if the wind is blowing north then go to west or east, if you drive south then your likelier to get hit with the early fallout as you go deeper into the destruction zone, country roads are good, and remember its everyone for themselves, the police arent gonna stop you for offroading to survive. Head for high ground, to a cave or a designated spot, try and find some water that is in a covered source that flows downhill. Try and take bottles of water with you if you can. Don't be starting any fires in the country, you'll only attract attention, wrap up tight in as many layers of clothing as possible, air is trapped between the layers and it will warm you up gradually.

You must keep the radio on as much as possible in this time, if its a small scale attack then the country will quickly swing into rescue mode and instructions on how to proceed to refugee camps will be read alot. It is imperative that you listen to these, the police will be in a very testy mood at this point and they will shoot you if you decide to disregard them, yes they have the power too, especially in the uk, in a state of emergency human rights are suspended, they can detain you as they see fit... and they will if your not careful.

Now if you've followed this then you've got a good chance of living through this, keep your hope alive and you'll get through it. If theres a global nuclear war then theres really no point of surviving, if you dont hear from the government within 2 weeks then society has ceased to exist and we go back to the middle ages. You can turn to looting, but go for the survival store first, the earth provides for you in many ways, stock up on everything, nets, purification tablets, rations, anything you can take with you, try and do this at night with some others. Remember, your looking out for YOU, keep a low profile and try to band together with a group of others in your state if possible, those looking for a ride WILL take advantage of you.

You're all you've got.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thank you very much for this long post.......it was very informative.

much appreciated.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Duck and cover man, duck and cover!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
with the new nukes of this world...

the best thing you can do is say GOOD BYE to your family before everyone of you will DIE!!!

yup.

KRAZY IVAN PRESENTS:

"FIVE THINGS TO DO DURING AN ALL OUT NUCLEAR EXCHANGE"

STEP 1. PRAY TO YOUR GOD(S)
STEP 2. BEND OVER
STEP 3. PLACE YOUR HEAD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS
STEP 4. MOVE YOUR HEAD TO THE GENERAL REGION OF YOUR ASS
STEP 5. KISS YOUR ASS GOODBYE

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by KrazyIvan]

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is Ark Two...

www.webpal.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Would you want to? Even if you were on the outskits of a bombed city, fallout would kill you in weeks. The country would last a bit longer (unless you live in the wheat belt).

For some reason, I keep thinking about the mountians, and how many old legends talk about those who live on high survive. Don't know if this would hold true, though, in this case.

Sadly, my wife and I talked about this, what we would do, for a chemical or nuclear attack. If there is a war, we discussed (hell, how do I say this without sounding sick)... our kids (8 and 2 years old) would NOT be made to suffer.

It may sound cruel or heartless, but would any of you wish to see radiation poisoning, or worse, effect your children?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

yup.

KRAZY IVAN PRESENTS:

"FIVE THINGS TO DO DURING AN ALL OUT NUCLEAR EXCHANGE"

STEP 1. PRAY TO YOUR GOD(S)
STEP 2. BEND OVER
STEP 3. PLACE YOUR HEAD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS
STEP 4. MOVE YOUR HEAD TO THE GENERAL REGION OF YOUR ASS
STEP 5. KISS YOUR ASS GOODBYE

you can tell it any better!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Krazy ivans got it except i would also get in the deepest hole I could find

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
i would also get in the deepest hole I could find

what would the deepest hole help you with?

keep most of your body together so you can be identified?

the difference would be that you would disolve if you were not in the hole...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Sadly, my wife and I talked about this, what we would do, for a chemical or nuclear attack. If there is a war, we discussed (hell, how do I say this without sounding sick)... our kids (8 and 2 years old) would NOT be made to suffer.

It may sound cruel or heartless, but would any of you wish to see radiation poisoning, or worse, effect your children?

You are very wise and got a lot of guts. I would do the exact same thing you would.

The way I see it, the only way to be able to survive nuclear war is to be alone. Have no family, etc. Then you don't have to be in such a precarious position.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yeah and don't forget to not breathe for about one month afterwards, and don't drink the water, or go outside, or ...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 07:15 AM
link   
To experience how horrific, hopeless and pointless surviving would be watch an old docu-drama called threads about the aftermath of nuclear war. If you've any half buried hopes about trying to survive if it all kicks off this programme will convince you once and for all that you'd be better off dead.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Excellent special, a documentary, called Radio Bikini, should help (you can rent it at a local video store near you).

It really gave me a good insight into it... BTW, great info Nerdling.... I went through a "nuke" stage (in the mid 80's) where I was convinced it would happen in my lifetime, and tried to learn all I could about it. I ended up with two plans.

!. (if I'm rich), I have a great design for a personal bomb shelter to ride through the aftermath for a couple of decades.

2. (if not), I live near a prime target. I'll kiss my loved ones, give them all a hug, and head for ground zero with them. (or, if we know it's coming, and we've got a few hours....one hell of a party and go with a smile.)

EDIT: If it happened anytime soon...looks like Plan 2.

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Driving a car after the bomb. Well I don't think so, the motor management chips will have been fried out by the EMP and dito with the radio. Bicycle might reliable, but the tyres are probably gone anyways. So take a cushion with you, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Or then you should steal a space suit to counter the radiation.

Because the radiation in space is alot stronger than anything a nuclear bomb can produce.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Yes, you need TACTICS

And supplies, of course

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well...cockroaches would survive. Im not sure we would.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join