It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronaut Charged With Kidnap Attempt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
An astronaut ; U.S. Navy Capt. Lisa Nowak, 43 is charged with attempted kidnapping. There are also additional charges like attempted vehicle burglary with battery & destruction of evidence. Nowak's action has something to do with jealousy, with Navy Cmdr. William Oefelein, a pilot during space shuttle Discovery's trip to the space station last December. Nowak told police that her relationship with Oefelein was "more than a working relationship but less than a romantic relationship,". Authorities say couldn't recall the last time an astronaut was arrested. If convicted of attempted kidnapping, Nowak could face a maximum of life in prison

news.yahoo.com
ORLANDO, Fla. - An astronaut drove 900 miles and donned a disguise to confront a woman she believed was her rival for the affections of a space shuttle pilot, police said. She was arrested Monday and charged with attempted kidnapping and other counts.

U.S. Navy Capt. Lisa Nowak, 43, who flew last July on a shuttle mission to the international space station, was also charged with attempted vehicle burglary with battery, destruction of evidence and battery. She was denied bail.

Nowak believed Shipman was romantically involved with Navy Cmdr. William Oefelein, a pilot during space shuttle Discovery's trip to the space station last December, police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the first time that I heard an astronaut, who can be considered as 'hero" to be involved in a weird incident like this. The incident is based on a personal affair. Although it could have started during the time when she works together with Oefelein.

We can not really underestimate what a woman is capable of doing just to get what they want.

This case can be considered ordinary, but because the people involved are atronauts, then it can be considered as a special case. Something that will attract more atenttion.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

[edit on 5-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
She was going to get out on bail, but now they've charged her with attempted murder so she needs to go back before the judge and probably won't get bail.

Update:

The judge just added $10K to the bail for the new charge, so she should still get out either tonight or tomorrow morning.

[edit on 2/6/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

An officer followed Capt Nowak and she was stopped allegedly carrying the wig, an air rifle, a steel mallet, rubber tubing, dustbin bags, black gloves and a knife.

A search of her vehicle revealed pepper spray and e-mails between Ms Shipman and Cmdr Oefelein, as well as Ms Shipman's home address and hand written directions to the house, police said.

She is CRAZY!!!

How do you go through so much training, become an astronaut, and make in tinto space, just to go a little bonkers and try to kill someone?

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
We can not really underestimate what a woman is capable of doing just to get what they want.

i cant wait to see what the feminists think of this statement rofl

it just illustrates that no matter what you get paid to do or how well trained/educated you are...anyone can do things that are just...well, nuts.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

She is CRAZY!!!

How do you go through so much training, become an astronaut, and make in tinto space, just to go a little bonkers and try to kill someone?

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Rasobasi420]

It makes no sense eh?
It kind of makes me wonder if this is fabricated to cover up something else. Maybe she is being "put away" for knowing something.
I'm just speculating with my foil hat on here.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

She is CRAZY!!!

Originally posted by Umbrax
It makes no sense eh?
It kind of makes me wonder if this is fabricated to cover up something else. Maybe she is being "put away" for knowing something.

Good point. Let see where is this going to. I would not be surprised to learn later on that she will be declared from suffering post traumatic stress disorder, nervous and physical exhaustion etc. and has to be confined somewhere, like... Bethesda Navy Hospital? this is where former secretary of navy & the first US secretary of Defense James Vincent Forrestal plunged to his mysterious death Right?

[edit on 7-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Update

NASA wants to know if there are 'lessons to be learned'

Astronaut Nowak was taken to the Johnson Space Center in Houston Wednesday for a medical evaluation, which would also include a psychological evaluation, NASA said.

I am going to await on that "psychological evaluation" result.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Amazing she would throw away her career, her 3 kids and her husband to kill/kidnap some other woman that was in love with her imagined boyfriend.

Sounds like she had an underlying psych disorder that finally surfaced from the onset of menopause or a hormonal imbalance.

A full moon was on February 2nd too.

Wierdorama...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
More like the plot from the 1987 Glenn Close, Michael Douglas movie, "Fatal Attraction".

Some people actually believe that crap.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Bingo, this story reeks, US major media blasting away and SO many details released immediately sounds TOO convenient.

I stand beside you w/foil hat in hand........

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

It makes no sense eh?

I am thinking the same thing. This doesnt make sense and to many details are out at once, kind of like 9/11. All too neat.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
One pundit points out that driving 900 miles usually means at least one pit stop:

Murder ain't rocket science
(Political Mavens)
by Lisa Pinto

...it’s quite a stretch to murder here.

An insane rage appears to have fueled this bizarre scheme to pursue, stop and harangue the woman she believe stood in the path of her true love. One would think a woman with a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering would understand the need to fuel an engine but in this mission she wore diapers to avoid making a stop for 900 miles.

Unless she was more worried about peeing her pants when she got there? Leaving the DNA behind...

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
She saw somthing up there. Something she threatened to tell the public. They can't, nay, won't let that happen. When we see the mothership land, we'll know the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Or, you know, she just was a nutter, and went on a road trip to beat up a broad.

You know, when you talk about the logic of her driving 900 miles with a diaper, another thing you guys seem to be forgetting is that she drove 900 miles to kill/kidnap someone. Not necessarily in a right state of mind. Logic wasn't with her on that trip.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyopswatcher
Unless she was more worried about peeing her pants when she got there? Leaving the DNA behind...

I'm not sure if you can retrieve DNA from urine. Can you?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Picture this, Raso:

CSI, Orlando: [standing over the crime scene, finds a puddle. Sticks in a swab, lifts it to nose] Hmm... urine. Get this to the lab and put a rush on it.

Ok, I watch too much crime tv... but, maybe...?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Reviving this thread from the depths for this update:

www.cnn.com...

We finally have a trial date of Dec 7.

Nowak's attorneys have said they intend to utilize an insanity defense, saying in court documents her diagnoses include more than a dozen psychiatric disorders.

Oh yeh she was crazy alright! NASA at it's finest.

top topics

join