It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cave of Cyclope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Cave of Cyclope

The main appeal of the excavation was the discovery of thick pre-pottery layers. The C14 datings assigned the material to the Early Holocene, more specifically to the 9th-7th mil. B.C., which placed Youra at a contemporary stage to Franchthi Early Holocene levels; however it was the first time the existence of an Aegean Mesolithic culture was revealed in full stratigraphy. Youra Mesolithic chipped stone industry used local flint and Melian obsidian, which suggests that the trade/exchange network for obsidian exploitation had been set up at such an early stage. During the Early Holocene, the obsidian microliths from Youra (trapezoidal, semi-crescents) find affiliations only in south Antalya caves (Turkey). The Greek mainland shares no relevant evidence, since the Argolid material, for example (Franchthi cave, Klisoura rock shelters), which is the best studied, is far different in the adjacent area. Evidence of diversity between Youra and mainland Greece is also supported by the cranial remain of a homo found in the lowest layer of the cave of Cyclope, and was named as the "Aegean Mesolithic homo"; the Mesolithic human skulls from Theopetra cave show strong anatomical differences suggesting probably the co-existence of a "mainland homo type".

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Very interesting! I liked the parts about being able to better understand the trade patterns of the area. I'd like to see more about the "Agean mesolithic hominid" because they say the bones look different from the mainland people.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yep, that's what i thought too...

Also

Youra Potsherds, prehistoric pottery fragments incised with markings that some people believe resemble letters of the Greek alphabet.

Youra_Potsherds

I thought that the greek alphabet was phoenician

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

join