It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It smells like maple syrup...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tom Bedlam

Somehow it concerns me that you have thought this out to that point. Perhaps best to stay out of Florida

or
I'm not sure which is appropriate.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
If it was only one person, tell them to get to a doctor. I think if someone smells like maple syrup it is the symptom of a serious disorder.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Maybe the local IHOP was running a super special on pancakes and waffles

On a more serious note I have a question for the OP. How far away are these locations from each other where you noticed the odor? You said you could smell it at work, home, your wife's work etc and I'm wondering how far apart these locations are?

nixie nox I did a little searching and found there is a Maple Syrup Urine disease (MSUD) and I'm not joking

healthguide.howstuffworks.com...

From the link

Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD) is caused by the inability to metabolize the branched-chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine. The disease is called MSUD because urine from affected people smells like maple syrup.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I think its something with water...

I used carry the same water bottle at work and use it everyday. By the 3rd say the lid would start to smell like maple syrup... My guess is some kind of bacteria.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Back in the 80's, I lived in the ghetto and had a serious roach problem. I used to buy roach traps and they had a maple syrup smell to them. Not sure what it was in the traps that gave off that smell, but it couldn't have been good.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Hmmm...sounds awfully familiar...

Maybe it's coming home to reproduce:

Have you checked your hemoglobin levels lately?

The Serratia marcescens test was sort of a mistake. Everyone at the time thought S. marcescens was innocuous, and in most cases it is, but if you have a compromised immune system, it is a nasty bug to get rid of.

I'm sure another reason for using it is that you don't need to use a microscope, it makes ruby-red colonies with a really distinctive color if it's cultured right.

The biggest bang for your buck as far as scent markers go are vanillins and mercaptans. Was the smell sort of vanilla-like?

Now this is interesting. About three months ago I had a patient’s sputum culture come back + for this bug. I was expecting pseudomonas but was surprised to see Serratia. I was even more surprised when three more cases showed up about three days later. Now it seems that it is showing up almost as commonly as pseudomonas.

Coincidence?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
M Night should have put this little detail in his movie "The Happening". I don't remember anyone commenting on a particular scent in the air but I would think that maple syrups is right for what our government is trying to get us to swallow.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I just posted in another thread about the 100's of birds dying in NJ they mentioned about the smell of maple syrup. I used to live in New Jersey and did smell that smell a couple of times and we all were concerned never knew what it was I am not sure if it affected us, but then we never put 2 and 2 together. Very freaky!

~Peace

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I did some research on the chemical "benzoic acid". It seems the maple syrup smell is commonly found in larger cities. Benzoic Acid is a common chemical used in mills and paper companies, but it is used in bomb making as well. The combustion bomb type "Bomb Calorimeter" instructions can be found all over the internet.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This was just commented on Regis and Kelley this morning. Kelley had been smelling maple syrup and Regis was kidding her. At the end of the show they found and read an article about the smell of maple syrup in the air.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
yep, now that I remember it, I smelled this....hmmm, about a month ago? I live in Washington county in Oregon. Definitely smelled like maple syrup!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Mystery of maple syrup smell solved. Just saw this on channel 7 news in NY.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New Jersey factory that makes fenugreek seeds was the source of the mystery syrupy smell that wafted from time to time over New York City.
"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the Great Maple Syrup Mystery has finally been solved," said Mayor Bloomberg. "I want to thank the City's environmental protection and emergency workers, as well as their colleagues in the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, for their diligence in finding the source of the smell, which was a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. Air samples taken by DEP have confirmed that the odor in New York City was an ester associated with foenugreek seed processing. The Health Department confirmed that the odor does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our OEM and DEP smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery." The International Frutarom Corporation factory in North Bergen was tracked down to be the source.
The city Department of Environmental Protection dispatched a team of inspectors earlier this month after the city's 311 system was deluged with calls from New Yorkers reporting the mysterious scent drifting through parts of upper Manhattan and Queens.
In 2005, hundreds of people in New York and across the river in New Jersey reported the strangely seductive odor.
At the time, Bloomberg said a slew of agencies - the NYPD, the Office of Emergency Management and the Health Department - investigated the scent and found nothing toxic or links to terrorism.

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6642803
Edit -Could not get link to work so I pasted the article.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Leave it to the small mind of Mayor Blowberg to blame New Jersey for the smell. The maple syrup smell just isnt restricted to the east coast. Cities all over our country have reported the smell. Maybe we should blame his fat exwife, she looks like she ate and fell out of a maple tree.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

You're absolutely right. It even smells like maple syrup here at ATS! Scratch 'n' sniff the screen. I'm serious. Tell me if your mind makes you smell maple syrup upon looking at the image below...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Did you notice any change in mood? Tiredness, lethargy, docility, tension, euphoria?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Howdy all,

Okay, so yesterday (1/30/07), in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas, I'm at work and I hear no less than three times people sniffing the air and saying "Something smells like mapel syrup." I figured someone had reheated a curry, or over-microwaved something with sugar to the point it carmelized, or something along those lines.

I'm leaving work, turn on the radio and since NPR is doing their bi-monthly beg-a-thon, I have it on scan. Right before the radio changes stations again one of the DJs says "Now if we could just get rid of the stink of mapel syrup in th--" and the station changed. I still didn't think too much about it.

Then I got home, I start working on the bathroom sink, clogged with god-knows what, and put the radio on NPR. And the two hosts that hour, during their pledge requests, complain about how their studio smells like maple syrup. Now my attention was gained.

My wife gets home, I ask her how her day was. She says "Fine, except the place smelled like maple syrup for most of the day."

What the hell is up with the scent of Maple Syrup?!?!?

Is there some chemical that, when spilled, smells like maple syrup? Is there a new kind of jet that uses fuel that smells like syrup when burned? Is everyone just mowin' down on McGriddle sammiches? What?

I just smelled this...just last week here in Hillsboro, OR; it was faint but very distinct! I can't remember where exactally I was, grrrrr.

If my memory serves me correctly I was with someone and thought I had turned to ask them if they smelled maple syrup. Going to have to remember when I smell it again.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
something to always keep in the back of your mind

www.nationalterroralert.com...

Warning Signs of an Attack or Incident

A chemical or biological attack or incident won’t always be immediately apparent given the fact that many agents are odorless and colorless and some cause no immediately noticeable effects or symptoms. Be alert to the possible presence of agents. Indicators of such an attack include:

Droplets of oily film on surfaces
Unusual dead or dying animals in the area
Unusual liquid sprays or vapors
Unexplained odors (smell of bitter almonds, peach kernels, newly mown hay or green grass)
Unusual or unauthorized spraying in the area
Victims displaying symptoms of nausea, difficulty breathing, convulsions, disorientation, or patterns of illness inconsistent with natural disease.
Low-lying clouds or fog unrelated to weather; clouds of dust; or suspended, possibly colored, particles.
People dressed unusually (long-sleeved shirts or overcoats in the summertime) or wearing breathing protection particularly in areas where large numbers of people tend to congregate, such as subways or stadiums

Ever heard of Operation Big City?....
check this out..bet you never knew..
www.skewsme.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join